Is Christian Metal an oxymoron?

It seems to me that the many Christian denominations are an easy target - and for the most part just take the shit - and I'm not neccessarily talking just within the 'world of heavy metal', it's really right across western society.

Given the place from where most metal bands originate, it is no wonder why Christianity is the main target. They grew up in countries where perhaps the dominant religion was Christianity, so they rebel against that, which is what they know.

Please could someone enlighten me about Deathspell Omega being a Christian band? Because I really don't know if they are...(I'm serious)

dso are an orthodox/theistic band. meaning that they still worship a deity, it's just that the deity is named "Satan" instead of "God." christianity without the mention of "God" basically.

don't get me wrong, the music is brilliant and the lyrics are among some of the best I've ever seen in metal (structure wise and vocabulary wise) but that doesn't mean that they aren't basically a christian band.

I hate it when people claim metal as an purely atheist and/or rebellious form of music. I prefer to think of metal as just another genre of music that can be whatever the songwriters make it to be, just like any other genre. Some people choose to live a 'metal lifestyle', which is fine - it's pretty much the same thing as pure classical musicians and their lifestyles. But it just seems retarded when people turn it into some sort of exclusive club that, without exception, rejects specific ideologies. It's an arbitrary excuse to attempt forcing non-beliefs on other people and it's no better than heavy evangelism.

dso are an orthodox/theistic band. meaning that they still worship a deity, it's just that the deity is named "Satan" instead of "God." christianity without the mention of "God" basically.

don't get me wrong, the music is brilliant and the lyrics are among some of the best I've ever seen in metal (structure wise and vocabulary wise) but that doesn't mean that they aren't basically a christian band.

Well the thread isn't about metal being anti-theistic. There's a massive difference between the ideas of Satan and God, that difference being that Satan may originally be just another deity but, after factoring in social norms and such, is associated with that sense of rebellion whereas metalheads associate christianity with the exact opposite (blind following). If you want to use DSO as an example of why Christian metal is not an oxymoron, you should probably instead look at songs like Jubilate Deo which can be misconstrued by the name to be about the actual Christian God. Basicly Christian music is only about lyrics, and the genre of metal has nothing to do with lyrics (like, if we're looking at lyrics, should we also say Orchid isn't metal because it's not full of rebellion? of course not)

in dso's specific case, the word satan refers to an actual deity that they want you to worship and become subservient to. I never said that this thread was about metal being anti-theistic, I can't understand where you possibly could have gotten that idea from? I was merely referring to the fact that the lyrical content of dso refers to "Satan" as an actual deity (just like the Christian God), rather than simply being an embodiment of an ideal.