Christian Metal ..... Oxymoron???

I know several people would not intentionally listen to music with religious or spiritual content and consider these bands to be not talented enough to compete in the real market.

While I'm not religious, I feel that people who think that are simply ignorant (and I know people who think like that). Regardless of the "message" behind the music, I'll put any of my favorite Xian metal bands against any others in the genre of metal (Sacred Warrior for example).

Search for them on myspace. Sorta like 80s priest. Good band. Also, if you like Classic Queensryche then check out Sacred Warrior.

Thanks for the info. As for Queensryche I'm not fond of them so I try to avoid bands that sound like :D

P.S. Actually they don't have a MySpace page (but lots of hip-hop under that moniker :puke: ). Nevertheless I found an "Too Late For Living" on VOD do I'll check them.

Thanks for the info. As for Queensryche I'm not fond of them so I try to avoid bands that sound like :D

P.S. Actually they don't have a MySpace page (but lots of hip-hop under that moniker :puke: ). Nevertheless I found an "Too Late For Living" on VOD do I'll check them.

They most certainly do. Go to www.myspace.com/titanicmetal and look through the friends. You'll find it.

Exactly! And that is what really pisses me off about some "satanic bands" (usually in BM). They try hard as nails to attack Christianity and/or Judeo-Chistrianity as they call it, so they are using those religions as poster childs for all they despised. But I never see them attack Islamism (regardless if they practice what they preach or not) or Buddhism or Hinduism, and those religions have also strong ethics and spiritual beliefs.

If it had been Hinduism or Islamism that had been forced upon the european peoples a millenia ago I´m sure that today black metal would have been highly against that instead. I, for instance, have never really felt forced into Islamism or Hinduism but I have during my childhood been forced to participate in Christian rituals and to sing Christian hymns in school. In our schools´ guidelines it even states that the children should be taught Christian values.

Cool band indeed, even though they're basically a 80's Priest clone (vocals included). But a good one :D

I found some song and they're good indeed they have a Priest sound, which actually jump to me again last dawn :heh: as we were in a bar and Angeles del Infierno was playing another band than sound extremely Priest cloned in their beginnings. I guess two sides of the same coin :saint:

If it had been Hinduism or Islamism that had been forced upon the european peoples a millenia ago I´m sure that today black metal would have been highly against that instead. I, for instance, have never really felt forced into Islamism or Hinduism but I have during my childhood been forced to participate in Christian rituals and to sing Christian hymns in school. In our schools´ guidelines it even states that the children should be taught Christian values.
Same thing here in America. We are all forced to live under christian values, whether we like it or not. Christian values are the basis of many of our laws...despite the alleged "separation of church and state".

It's not surprising that a small population of society feels obligated to speak out about it. It's also not surprising that a large population of them are fools. If you're going to hate the church, at least hate it for the right reasons. :)

I don't think "Christian Metal" is an oxymoron at all.

One of the things that seperates metal from popular music is that a great many metal artists aren't afraid to write songs that deal with fantasy, religion and social issues among others. Personal expression is a big part of metal and I think that is what draws some of the fans in. I don't think most would be offended by Christian lyrics if they are presented in a way that is not forceful and derogatory toward the typical metal fan's lifestyle.
Everyone here who knows me also knows that I am a big Vanden Plas fan. Vocalist/lyricist Andy Kuntz writes many songs that seem to favor Christianity, though he does no "preaching" nor has he openly confessed being a Christian.
Metallica's "Creeping Death" though far from "Christian" comes straight out of the bible. Exodus 7-12 speaks of the ten plagues that fell upon Egypt. Metallica sums some of it up pretty well in that song.

Bryant

Metallica's "Creeping Death" though far from "Christian" comes straight out of the bible. Exodus 7-12 speaks of the ten plagues that fell upon Egypt. Metallica sums some of it up pretty well in that song.

Bryant

Good call Bryant, and I have to add a band that seldom is remember in this context: Helloween. No one can't deny Helloween spiritual leaning in songs like 'Save Us', 'Deliver Us From Temptation', 'Laudate Dominum', 'Salvation' and even in 'Halloween', 'Guardians', 'Future World', 'Keeper Of The Seven Keys'.

Saint777.net - Josh Kramer's Official Site

Wyv, here is a site I found tonite for you, sorry I aint be around much so it was a long time coming. They do the Priest thing so well, good to see others out there don't mind it either.

Yeah I found it too but thanks anyway ;)

And discussing a bit on the subject on Saturday I remembered Black Sabbath on songs like 'After Forever' and 'Into The Void'. Just read the lyrics and tell me there are not spiritually inclined. Then of course take 'Disturbing The Priest' or 'When Death Calls' ;) :heh:

Yeah I found it too but thanks anyway ;)

And discussing a bit on the subject on Saturday I remembered Black Sabbath on songs like 'After Forever' and 'Into The Void'. Just read the lyrics and tell me there are not spiritually inclined. Then of course take 'Disturbing The Priest' or 'When Death Calls' ;) :heh:

While I think we are getting off the subject a little..... as I doubt anyone would consider Metallica, Helloween or Black Sabbath "Christian metal," I think we have shown that religion is indeed a topic that is often written about in the metal genre. If a band were to write "repent your sins now or forever burn in hell" I probably wouldn't be too big into them. This goes for ANY religion including athiests as some try to belittle people who are religious which is just as bad as religious people..... anyway you get my point.
I guess, what I am saying is that I think religion (Christian and other) can be used in metal and it can be very interesting. Stories of the Bible are fascinating, for example. However, "praise and worship" type songs aren't my thing and forcing an opinion on others when it comes to religion of any type is a no-no in my ears.

Bryant

Stories of the Bible are fascinating, for example. However, "praise and worship" type songs aren't my thing and forcing an opinion on others when it comes to religion of any type is a no-no in my ears.

Bryant

I guess you put it on a nutshell pretty fine for me at least ;)

NP: Nolan/Wakeman - 'A Glimmer Of Light'

I guess, what I am saying is that I think religion (Christian and other) can be used in metal and it can be very interesting. Stories of the Bible are fascinating, for example. However, "praise and worship" type songs aren't my thing and forcing an opinion on others when it comes to religion of any type is a no-no in my ears.
Bryant

I felt exactly the same way. But then......
.... along came this little CD called 'Between The Worlds' by Seventh Avenue and totally changed my opinion. I guess there will always be exceptions to the rule.
PMR

I felt exactly the same way. But then......
.... along came this little CD called 'Between The Worlds' by Seventh Avenue and totally changed my opinion. I guess there will always be exceptions to the rule.
PMR

Well, if you have certain beliefs and a band is able to put those beliefs you have onto disc, I can certainly understand why that would make you very happy. There is nothing wrong with that.

Bryant

I couldn't care less what the lyrical content is about, as long as I like the music!! A couple of Christian metal bands I think are really good are Whitecross & Holy Soldier!!!

I'm a bit perplexed... Refering to Martiria: "The Age Of The Return"...
a review quote....

"The albums lyrics – which were written by poet Marco Capelli – are based entirely on biblical subject matters and characters and cover topics ranging from the second coming, Judas’ betrayal of Jesus, the crucifixion of Christ, John the Baptist, and David and Goliath.

After all of the biblical references - the reviewer went on to say :
While by no means a Christian band, Martiria includes one Christian member in Rick Anderson who is very open and forthright about his faith in Christ.

My question is - How could they not be considered a Christian band if all of the material suggests otherwise?

Hmmmm more food for thought.