ISSA - Norwegian Female singer WOW!

Metaldrumz

Jul 18, 2002
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142911

Norwegian singer ISSA (full name: Isabell Oversveen) will release her debut album, "Sign Of Angels", on September 14 in Europe and October 10 in the USA via Frontiers Records.

Helped by producer Ronny Milianowicz (SAINT DEAMON) and killer musicians such as Peter Huss on guitar, Uli Kusch (ex-MASTERPLAN, HELLOWEEN) on drums, Nobby Noberg on bass and Tim Larsson (NICK LACHEY) on keyboards, Issa has managed to create a superb album which offers soaring and instantly likeable hooklines, solid guitar riffs and a crisp sound. Described in a press release as "BROTHER FIRETRIBE meets TREAT with tons of melodies, class and attitude," "Sign of Angels" features songwriting contributions from Joacim Cans (HAMMERFALL), Thomas Vikström (CANDLEMASS, THERION), Daniel Flores (THE MURDER OF MY SWEET), Soren Kronkvist (CRASH THE SYSTEM) and many more.

A video clip for the song "I'm Alive" was shot by Thomas Tjader (PRETTY MAIDS, IN FLAMES) and will be included with the album.

Issa is a 26 years old girl from Oslo. At 17 she started to work her way into the music business as a demo singer for different labels in studios all around Norway. At 19 she won a competition with almost 150,000 votes singing the song "Fade Away" written by Stian Aarstad, who was previously a member of DIMMU BORGIR. The track was released on a record in co-operation with the TV channel Fox Kids.

Issa has performed on many metal and rock records, including albums by GAIA EPICUS and ILLUSION SUITE.

"Sign Of Angels" track listing:

01. Angels Crying
02. I'm Alive
03. Give Me A Sign
04. River Of Love
05. What Can I Do
06. Closer
07. Unbelievable
08. How Will I Know
09. As I Live and Breathe
10. Flying High
11. It's Not Me
12. Fallen Angel
13. I'm Alive (bonus video clip)

ISSA-cover500.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vqC2rqR9Lc&[/ame]

Norwegian singer ISSA...
I'm confused. Did you post this because...

A. ... you believe this should be categorized as Metal?
B. ... even though this is Pop music, you think some folks who primarily listen to Prog and Power Metal would like this?
C. ... you think she's hot?

By the way, it's amusing how they try to establish her Metal cred by noting that she once performed a song written by a guy who played keyboards in Dimmu Borgir before most people had heard of them. I can only assume they kicked him out of Dimmu for writing songs like these.

B. ... even though this is Pop music, you think some folks who primarily listen to Prog and Power Metal would like this?

A. As Metal? Obviously not. As pop with some great hard rock hooks? Absolutely, and I know theres fans of that stuff on here including me.

B. Yeah I would think some on here would like this, the same way some on here like extreme black metal which I dont consider power or prog.

C. Is she attractive? Obviously but I'm not a teenie bopper. Her looks play no part in my decision to post this news.

A. As Metal? Obviously not. As pop with some great hard rock hooks? Absolutely, and I know theres fans of that stuff on here including me.

B. Yeah I would think some on here would like this, the same way some on here like extreme black metal which I dont consider power or prog.

C. Is she attractive? Obviously but I'm not a teenie bopper. Her looks play no part in my decision to post this news.
Fair enough.

A) I think it's more pop/rock.. kinda like Orianthi
B) A lot of folks here like melodic rock, this fits, if Jeff Scott Soto were on vocals the thread would light up
C) yup :loco:, she's cuter than Jeff Scott Soto

Not bad, since I DJ a lot of school dances I'll add it in the rotation with Rock Sugar and some other stuff the kiddies seem to like.

I wonder if she can actually sing. There's NO WAY of telling with all the effects on her voice (hence the Ke$ha comment).
So, what we have here is a very polished product, with a bunch of "semi-wellknown" solid songwriters behind and a slutty dressed girl in front, marketed by the words "the new sexy rock bomb".

It's a Frontiers release, so us hard rock fans are always interested when that record company puts a bunch of talented people together to write for someone.

behind and a slutty dressed girl

I don't see the "slutty" aspect in showing off some leg or stomach. If thats the case than wow....what do you think of all the girls at PPUSA who do Corset night? I've seen Simone from Epica, and Tara when she was in Nightwish dress more revealing (and others) and never heard the term "slutty" thrown around.

IMO you can be sexy and classy at the same time, and this album cover depicts just that.........unless perhaps there is some promo shots I havent seen or noticed?

I don't see the "slutty" aspect in showing off some leg or stomach.
While I wouldn't choose the word "slutty", this band isn't being marketed based on the music, it's being marketed based on its image.
  • In the opening shots of the video, they show her from the shoulders up, with out any visible clothing. That shot persists, without a hint of clothing throughout.
  • They then show her rolling around under the sheets... in a bra.
  • Over that, there's a picture where it would appear she's in a vest and no pants.
If you like the final product, that's cool. But that's what this band is about... a final, marketable product. From what I can tell, it seems this is a band conceived in a board room, not a basement.

I don't see the "slutty" aspect in showing off some leg or stomach. If thats the case than wow....what do you think of all the girls at PPUSA who do Corset night? I've seen Simone from Epica, and Tara when she was in Nightwish dress more revealing (and others) and never heard the term "slutty" thrown around.

IMO you can be sexy and classy at the same time, and this album cover depicts just that.........unless perhaps there is some promo shots I havent seen or noticed?

I didn't see this as classy at all - the video clips more than hints at the girl being naked, and the picture on the cover is downright cliche "sex-diva" image. Hmmm, perhaps I'm just an old and married man ;)

I wonder if she can actually sing. There's NO WAY of telling with all the effects on her voice (hence the Ke comment).
So, what we have here is a very polished product, with a bunch of "semi-wellknown" solid songwriters behind and a slutty dressed girl in front, marketed by the words "the new sexy rock bomb".

I agree with you on that, looks like a big effort on marketing with a huge focus on her looks.

By the way, it's amusing how they try to establish her Metal cred by noting that she once performed a song written by a guy who played keyboards in Dimmu Borgir before most people had heard of them. I can only assume they kicked him out of Dimmu for writing songs like these.

There are chicks a LOT hotter than ISSA if you wanna listen to straight rock with your pants around your ankles:

Last edited by a moderator: