Just curious about the next generation of "euro" power metal bands

Pyramaze51 said:
Does DREAMTALES or TWILIGHTNING ring a bell, or even NOCTURNAL RITES??? oh Shit i forgot THUNDERSTONE.

twilighting, NR, and thunderstone rock...i mentioned NR in my reply as they are much stronger (IMO) and i like em alot more, please read! i tried to make it quite detailed of the knowledge i have.

Savage Circus comes to mind... They had an outstanding debut and it'd be awesome if Glenn booked them for next year!!!

*Crosses fingers*

Pagan's Mind seems on their way to being at the top of the prog metal heap.

As far as power metal goes, Edguy is on top and likely to stay there for awhile. I think they are much younger than many bands you'd consider "up and coming" anyway. I'm sure those guys are younger than Brainstorm and Dream Evil.

General Zod said:
Power Metal is one wierd genre. It seems that even if you and someone share a common opinion on 10 PM bands, it's unlikely you'll agree on the 11th. Because there's so few variations within the genre's sound, people tend to latch onto very specific components of a band; vocals, guitar tone, subject matter, etc. They either love or hate bands based on, what would seem to outsiders, the most subtle of nuances.

I felt that the crème de la crème of Power Metal was Iced Earth. However, even though the songwriting quality didn't drop when Barlow left, the band lost a lot of its personality. Brainstorm was a band that seemed to have a bright future. However, on recent discs their sound has moved in a more generic direction, which I don't care for.

Of all the bands out there, I think Tad Morose and Pyramaze (aside from the aforementioned Angra) are among the genre's finest. Can either band break out beyond where they are today? Hard to say.

Zod

P.S. - if you consider Nevermore to be Power Metal (which some people strangely do) than all conversation about all other bands is unnecessary.

Zod, I tend to agree with what you say most of the time. I agree, don't freakin' overlook Pyramaze! :headbang:

With that said, most Euro bands seem to be going in the direction of a Tad Morose/Brainstorm sound, which is a basic 80s metal based sound. I don't have a problem with it though, because Tad and Brainstorm are two of my favorite bands.

One of these days the two following bands, that get completly overlooked by everyone, will get their due: AT VANCE AND NOCTURNAL RITES!

Why those two bands aren't more popular is beyond me! :hotjump:

You're so so right we can't forget PYRAMAZE in this group, they are where it's going, and where the others have to get to. They will be the biggest after "Legends of the BoneCarver" is released. Well, i can hope can't I.

edgeofthorns said:
Zod, I tend to agree with what you say most of the time. I agree, don't freakin' overlook Pyramaze!
Cheers.

edgeofthorns said:
With that said, most Euro bands seem to be going in the direction of a Tad Morose/Brainstorm sound, which is a basic 80s metal based sound. I don't have a problem with it though, because Tad and Brainstorm are two of my favorite bands.
I'd disagree slightly. I think Tad Morose, and Brainstorm's older material, have a darker, more U.S. sound than most Euro Power Metal bands.

edgeofthorns said:
One of these days the two following bands, that get completly overlooked by everyone, will get their due: AT VANCE AND NOCTURNAL RITES! Why those two bands aren't more popular is beyond me!
From my perspective, both of these bands have a very generic sound, with songs, singers and guitar players that just don't grab me. A number of folks, whose opinions I respect, have talked up the new NR. It's not bad, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Zod

General Zod said:
Cheers.

I'd disagree slightly. I think Tad Morose, and Brainstorm's older material, have a darker, more U.S. sound than most Euro Power Metal bands.

From my perspective, both of these bands have a very generic sound, with songs, singers and guitar players that just don't grab me. A number of folks, whose opinions I respect, have talked up the new NR. It's not bad, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Zod

Ouch! Well, I disagree with you now! :D IMO, both At Vance and Nocturnal Rites are as talented as any of these other bands that we consistenly praise on this forum. :confused:

Athlantis, Galloglass, and Hibria are all great bands. They're fairly small, but I think that they have the potential to become very famous power metal bands.

Harvester said:
Agree 100%.

Brainstorm is the obvious choice of the next generation as they have already done a small headline tour. There is another one that I have booked for next year that is an obvious choice as well.

Glenn H.

Well, i was just wondering if maybe Mr. Glenn could give us an early Christmas present and give us some more hints on who this band is. i am so damn curious and want to know. o_O

If the banner of Euro-Power metal is to be passed to the new up and coming bands, then here is one. I just got this CD today, my daughter ordered it for me thru www.nightmare-records.com. The band is called NIGHTSCAPE. Let me tell you these young and i do mean young (18-20) Swedes can play, they are really awesome and this is a great first CD. Check it out and i promise you won't be disappointed.

Its a shame Rage aren't bigger than they are considering 1) they've been around 20+ years 2) Not one album is bad, they only range from good to amazing, and 3) they kick the shit out of a large portion of other "powermetal" bands that have gotten more popularity than they have.

Hopefully their new deal with Nuclear Blast gives them more push than their last labels have...

I believe Edguy is ready to take the proverbial torch for a while.

I agree with the positive posts concerning Savage Circus, Tad Morose, Pyramaze, and Manticora. And I also agree with the comment on Iced Earth. They still maintain power, but the atmosphere left with Barlow. And I have to disagree with Zod (I think it was?) that Nevermore be grouped into power metal. I've always described them to potential fans as 'thrash metal'. But you say tomato and I say... well I actually say tomato also.

I have recently re-discovered Morgana Lefay. I kinda lost track of them a few years ago after hearing only one album. But hearing their material on Beyond Ear Candy in recent weeks has me ordering their last two albums. These guys are heavy as HELL!!! Savage Circus and Pyramaze debuts are wrapped and under the tree also. :D

Another band I haven't seen mentioned that I have discovered only recently is Heavenly. I think this band would be a shoe-in for a PPUSA show someday... maybe 2006? And I have 'Dust to Dust' on it's way from CD Inzane as I type this. :worship:

it's going to be another Metal Christmas!!!

Yngvai X said:
Its a shame Rage aren't bigger than they are considering 1) they've been around 20+ years 2) Not one album is bad, they only range from good to amazing, and 3) they kick the shit out of a large portion of other "powermetal" bands that have gotten more popularity than they have...

one could mention similar comments concerning Overlorde.

granted they are not a 'Euro-power-metal' band and they have only one full album, but the reviews cannot be ignored.

:kickass:

Rider of Theli said:
Another band I haven't seen mentioned that I have discovered only recently is Heavenly. I think this band would be a shoe-in for a PPUSA show someday... maybe 2006? And I have 'Dust to Dust' on it's way from CD Inzane as I type this. :worship:

Their first two albums were good. Dust to Dust is amazing!!!! I'd love to see these guys play at Progpower, but I think half the members left. Or something like that.

YtseJammer said:
Their first two albums were good. Dust to Dust is amazing!!!! I'd love to see these guys play at Progpower, but I think half the members left. Or something like that.

Trust me - the previous Heavenly albums were mostly crap, but the new stuff kick ass in every kind of way ... it's so freakingly good it makes no sense. Think of Gamma Ray "Land of the Free" ...

c.

Claus / Intromental said:
Trust me - the previous Heavenly albums were mostly crap, but the new stuff kick ass in every kind of way ... it's so freakingly good it makes no sense. Think of Gamma Ray "Land of the Free" ...

c.

Music to my ears.

Gamma Ray's best album. Hands down.

I think Edguy will be on top for a while and they deserve it.

One band I think deserves more attention though is Elvenking. I love how they blend folk into their powermetal. It would be amazing to see them at PP VII, but I highly doubt it.

Rider of Theli said:
I believe Edguy is ready to take the proverbial torch for a while.
My problem with Edguy is, each disc had 3 stellar tracks and a bunch of filler.

Rider of Theli said:
And I have to disagree with Zod (I think it was?) that Nevermore be grouped into power metal. I've always described them to potential fans as 'thrash metal'.
I didn't say they were Power Metal. However, some people do. Personally, I think Nevermore can best be described as Dark Progressive Power Thrash.

Zod