Ken... best 2007 prog so far?

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Ken, can you give a few titles that you'd recommend to a proggy person such as myself? I haven't heard much new prog this year, and am interested in seeing what has been produced.

Both.. really. I just like the prog that is its own sound and can't easily be said to be a clone of the forefathers of prog. That said I enjoy 'prog' that is of the Zappa/Mike Keneally/Freak Kitchen way, as well as that of say... Hammers of Misfortune... and Redemption... King Crimson... and yeah Gentle Giant.

I'm an old guy and my memory isn't so great so I can't go back to the beginning of the year. I also spend more and more time listening to jazz - the majority of which is outside the scope of what we sell.

I'm extremely partial to our own releases (otherwise I wouldn't release them) so I can point you towards Black Bonzo, Canvas Solaris, Spheric Universe Experience and of course Circus Maximus. If you go to our label website www.lasersedgegroup.com you can poke around and hear mp3s of a lot of complete songs. Also listen to Indukti. The disc has been out for some time. It has that Crimson vibe but more metallic. They blew everyone away at Nearfest this year.

Other albums that kicked my ass hard this year include:

Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third
Naikaku - Shell
Three - The End Is Begun
Upsilon Acrux - Galapagos Momentum
La Torre dell'Alchimista - Neo
Mar De Robles - Indigina
Electric Orange - Platte

If you want to hear a band that I think is drop dead incredible check out Bauer. They are from Argentina. They have two discs:

Astronauta Olvidado
En Otra Ciudad

To my ears these guys define what progressive rock should be in 2007.

We are going to release the new Morglbl disc called "Grotesk" in October. That will scratch your Mattias Eklundh stunt guitar itch.

As far metal goes I'm definitely a fan of the new Symphony X. Transmission is on the lighter side of metal but I think it's a good one. John Macaluso's disc is kind of crazy in a good way. I'm digging Kamelot..a lot. For sick guitarwork there is Outworld. Actually now that I think about it Thought Chamber was very good too. You already mentioned Redemption.

There are others and it comes down to personal choice. These are just some of the releases that came out so far that I thought were memorable.

Let me know if you have any questions - I hope this helped.

Ken

I hope it's ok for someone else to weigh in here... if not, apologies in advance...

great 2007 prog-metal releases: Circus Maximus, Transmission, Darkwater, Tomorrow's Eve, Poverty's No Crime, Dominici, Spheric Universe Experience, Thought Chamber, Kamelot, Redemption, Symphony X, DGM, Suspyre, Threshold, Vision Divine, Dream Theater, Dead Soul Tribe, Within Temptation

great 2007 prog releases: NEO, It Bites, Black Bonzo, Three, Pure Reason Revolution, La Torre dell'Alchimista, The Gourishankar, Galahad (whenever it finally comes out, get it!), Knight Area, Magic Pie, Apple Pie, Anekdoten, Amaran's Plight, Osada Vida, Dead Air Radio

Eagerly anticipated: Anubis Gate, Dreamscape, Iced Earth, Mind's Eye, Superior

It's been an exceptional year thus far!!:headbang:

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really have an ear on the prog-rock scene, so that's the main reason I wanted suggestions as it would take me too long to sift through things on my own. I also think you have a number of good releases on your label.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really have an ear on the prog-rock scene, so that's the main reason I wanted suggestions as it would take me too long to sift through things on my own. I also think you have a number of good releases on your label.

Not sure if you visit the PM Rising forum or not, but we had a big thread there:

http://www.pmrising.com/pm/viewtopic.php?t=5729

One of the suggestion there was Mystery's Beneath the Veil of Winter's Face. I picked it up and it's *awesome*.

Chris

Nah. I bleed prog. I've just been expanding my musical interests over the years. I've been listening to progressive music for 35 years. I must say that I have been discouraged by the lack of good progressive rock over the past few years - the genre is fairly moribund with some exceptions. Progressive metal seems a bit more vibrant but at times it does revisit itself more than I would like.

Jazz is good for your soul. Try it - it won't bite!

KG