Time to clean out the closet...

lasercd

Man Behind The Curtain
Dec 26, 2002
www.lasercd.com
I'm over run with CDs. I estimate that I have about 8,000 CDs in my personal collection and that is ridiculous. There is simply too much to listen to and store. Jim and I have started to cull through the collection with the thought that we will sell off what I no longer want to keep. There are some amazing discs that will go up for sale (all one of a kind) that I simply don't listen to because of time or change in taste. Every style is represented here - prog rock, prog metal, electronic, neoprog - you name it. Many of these titles have been out of print for years. Heads might explode.

Nothing will be represented as "new" or "unplayed" but nothing will be sold that is defective or in shoddy condition. Pricing will run the gamut from dirt cheap "get this out of here" to "Ken is crazy" - it will depend on rarity of the title.

The only question that I have to resolve is what is the best method to make these discs available - either through the online store or via private list or this forum.

Stay tuned...

This sounds........incredible! My head is on the verge of exploding just thinking about what treasure await us.

Got anything by Flock of Seagulls?:loco:

I'm interested to see what you have Ken...

Mmm...

I guess you should start by listing them here, then your store, and finally Ebay (or Ebay first, then your store).

I can help you sell them Ken..

In whatever format you choose t do this, please wait til' after the holidays. A lot of us are broke as bastards around this time of year... :lol:

One format that might work ok is to e-mail out your list in a pdf format (by request).

A good way to start might be to put them all in an Excel list and then you could provide that list upon requerst to those interested. I imagine they'll go on a first come first-serve basis anyway. The challenge there is that you might want to post what is no longer available on the forum. Not sure how time consuming that would be.
I think it might also help to group them into genres, that way those of us who are interested can go right to certain sections.
Once we find a disc or discs that we want, we could then send an email to the normal box (unless or want to set up a separate box just for this) with the subject "Ken's Clean-up sale" or something similar.

Anyway, sorry for being long-winded. Just my thoughts.

I'll be curious to see how you decide to approach it.

So far I've pulled out at least 500 discs and its just scratching the surface. Did a lot of "I have this???", "When did I get this???" or "WTF is this???".

The problem with putting them up on the website is it will kill the newest arrivals section but it might be the best way to go as more people will see the items rather than if I confine it to the forum. Excel sheet is an option as is posting the list here in parts and continually updating it as the items are sold off.

I'm curious now Ken. What would say is the most rare disc you have that you would not part with?

A couple of mine include:
An original pressing of Earthbound by the Rocket Scientists and a wooden box edition of Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch. Niether one of those puppies are goin' anywhere.

Thats why I will never get rid of my ''Les Dudek"" cds that I replaced when I had all the Albums..:headbang:

I honestly don't know what the rarest disc is - there is so much here. I know I have the first Marble Sheep album and that goes for some bucks. I also have some unique stuff like a 24 bit / 96 khz DVD of the audio of Wobbler "Hinterland".

Create a special category titled "Ken's Closet" and start listing, first come, first serve. The only other way is ebay!

Create a special category titled "Ken's Closet" and start listing, first come, first serve. The only other way is ebay!

the bad thing about ebay ken is that you will be charged for listing, for final price that the cd sold, and paypal takes away a bit once you receive money using paypal.

another option would be to use the amazon marketplace..i think your item remains there until it sells...unlike ebay (you can use the fixed option buy it now and i think you can list up to 30 days). if its an auction, i think you only have 7 days and they charge you more if your auction lasts longer...

i suggest that you put the rare stuff on ebay so you can get more bucks if that's what you want/need. the rest can go directly to your store...

As am I, Ken.

Just because I "only" have a collection of (about) 6000 CDs, doesn't mean I don't have an appetite for more....!

Also definitely interested. A section on the site, alphabetized or whatever, would make sense. Bring it on :)

Count me in Ken! I am EXTREMELY INTERESTED!
No e-bay, please! (besides they suck for sellers!)

An excel mailing list would be ok, but, wouldn't it be easier on the site & just link to paypal?

BRING ON THE RARE NEO!!!! :)