King Crimson- First Metal Band?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I purchased In the Court of the Crimson King, by King Crimson, and when the first track 21st Century Schizoid Man started, I couldnt help but think that King Crimson sort of started metal. This first song is just so metal, maybe jazz metal if that is possible. Apparently this album was recorded in 1969- before Black Sabbath. Of course the whole album is not like the first song, in fact it goes psychedelic and kinda of medieval for two songs. Well I was wondering what you guys thought, did King Crimson play the first metal? And is anyone an expert on King Crimson?

Im a pritty huge KC fan, I have all they're studio albums except two. I honestly don't know if they were the first to play metal but 21st Century Schitzoid Man is the oldest song I've heard with a metal sound. They definatly had an influence on metal with that song, but I couldn't say if they were the first.

great...which albums do you recommend? I have "Construcktion of light", "Thrak", "red" and "Beat". From these, I think RED is the best, Beat the worst.Is it true, that the 80s albums are crap? just like the albums other prog bands produced in that period, getting more pop influences...?

I dont think the 80's stuff is crap- in fact i rather like most of it- yes they do have pop influences- and they do sound alot like the Talking Heads- but it is still interesting stuff, just not as rock as they used to be in the 70's.

How is the new King Crimson like Thrak and Construktion? Ive yet to hear any of them.

To say KC were metal would be downgrading the importance of this band... they definitely influenced certain metal bands (Voivod immediately comes to mind here), but to say that they were actually a metal band of any kind is not proper.

I just got ConstruKction of Light.... the first song is a piece of shit, but it gets much much better! Great guitar interplays between Fripp and Belew and reinterpretations of 2 classiKcs: Fracture and Lark's Tongues in Aspic. Great album.

the first song is a piece of shit?

why? it is unbelievable!!!!!!!!?

anyway i think that they are a group out of classifications.

however i think that their 80's albums (apart DISCIPLINE) sucks compared with the 70's creative period.:)

get absolutely the trilogy:

LARKS TONGUES IN ASPIC

STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK

RED

and you will no more need fake prog like dream theater...
(i know i know don't smash me please but i don't resist:rolleyes: )

:D :D :D :D

I thought KC was the first prog. band, not the first metal one! :lol:

Or at least the one of the first prog. acts. ;) I really don't know when Genesis, Yes, ELP, Caravan, et al were formed.

...And I usually think of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" as the first "real" metal album, but I wouldn't know the history that well. I know Black Sabbath started out as a more bluesy type band. I also know people refer to Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc. as metal, which I don't think is exactly accurate... although they are certainly hard rock acts.

Of course Schizoid Man was apocalyptically heavy for its times and still sounds avant garde today, but I would hesitate to call it metal, especially since the remainder of the debut (indeed one of the first fully committed progressive rock albums) has no trace of Fripp's assaultive dissonance. The mid-70s trilogy is where he took off in this regard...
P.S. I love Discipline and a good part of the other two 80s albums...

I should have clarified- I meant just that one song- 21st century schizoid man. It is the first really metal song i have heard, even if they only did one song. You know I think Sabbath probably heard it- being from Britain and all, and some of their songs on their early albums sound a hell of like 21st schizoid man- i just cant think of them now. Oh yeah the riff on Wizard sounds a hell of alot alike. Well it is just an idea i wanted to throw out to see if anyone could add anything.

This song still kicks most any metal bands ass even today.

21 century schizoid man is nowhere NEAR metal. it may be heavy compared to the whole album and the overall sound of those times but metal? naaah.

the first metal band is...hehe im not gonna open that discussion again. - lol but me thinks it's black sabbath

Black Sabbath was the first metal band. 21st Century Schizoid Man sounds very metallish but I wouldn't call it metal though. King Crimson is much better a band than most metal bands though.

to me the first metal band was JUDAS PRIEST ...

'cause black sabbath was pretty much one of the first heavy rock bands.

however in effect the album black sabbath was really dark kind of black metal philosophy ante litteram:rolleyes:

great...which albums do you recommend? I have "Construcktion of light", "Thrak", "red" and "Beat". From these, I think RED is the best, Beat the worst.Is it true, that the 80s albums are crap? just like the albums other prog bands produced in that period, getting more pop influences...?
I haven't heard King Crimson, but 99.99% of the music released in the 80's was crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I listen to 70's funk stuff and all of the bands that made cool funk in the 70's, made crap in the 80's. Everybody did that! Yes is one of my favorite bands, but I won't lay my hands on any of their 80's crap!
Music lovers in general avoid the 80's I think. At least if you're not one of these guys that only like new synthetic plastic music from the 90's. In 30 years people will avoid the 90's I think! 60's is still the best decade in the 20th century! That's not just my opinion, but more or less a fact if were talking about musical quality.
The first progressive rock band was The Nice.
I don't know if I would call The Nice for prog. rock. I think it's more acid rock or psychedelic rock. At least the three records I have by them sound very psychedlic. Keith Emerson's later band Emerson, Lake & Palmer may be a little more progressive, but not that different from The Nice. To me prog. rock is stuff like Camel and Yes.

Originally posted by dimensionidol
to me the first metal band was JUDAS PRIEST ...

'cause black sabbath was pretty much one of the first heavy rock bands.

however in effect the album black sabbath was really dark kind of black metal philosophy ante litteram:rolleyes:

Black Sabbath is metal, no "heavy rock".
And the first metal band, yes!

And King Crimson was not metal at all.

to me not all music of the 80's is bad.

rush for example made really good music inthe 80's(made one of their best HOLD YOUR FIRE).

is always a matter of opinion however 'cause techno pop, rap and wave produce really good stuffs to me in
the eighties.

sure metal and rock does not rules at that time...

in effect judas priest to me made not so good albums in the 80's(made their worst BRITISH STEEL and TURBO).

:D

get absolutely the trilogy:

LARKS TONGUES IN ASPIC

STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK

RED

LISTEN TO THIS PERSON!!! Those three albums are some of the best music in history.

I would not call them the first metal band, I'm going to have to go with Hendrix, Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin as the pioneers of metal. The early King Crimson was jazz and progressive.

The 80s stuff is probably the worst KC, but not bad (especially Discipline). I recently got the ProjeKcts (4 CD all live boxset) and it is REALLY good, mostly improvisation. I think most of it was recorded in the late 90s.