Manowar U.S. tour dates

1. Dream Theater plays much bigger venues, for a much bigger audience.
2. Dream Theater plays a show that's warranted $70. Hell, the entire production of a DT show warrants higher ticket prices.
3. Dream Theater has a solid career and has managed to stay relevant to the style ever since their inception. To say Manowar is going downhill for many years now, is an understatement.
4. Manowar has toured at least 3 times in the US since I've been living here (2000). Whether or not they did full US tours, I am not sure... but I remember going to see Rhapsody of Fire open for them in 2005, I believe (and immediately leaving the venue after RoF's set).
5. The most obvious of all of them. Dream Theater doesn't suck. :)

Aren't Dream Theater and Manowar really just opposite sides of the same coin? Manowar has taken Power Metal to its cheesiest levels, Dream Theater has taken Prog to its wankiest levels. Both are hold overs from the 80s, who failed to breakthrough commercially, who have been very influential on their genre, and who have insanely loyal fanbases.

By failed to break through commercially I assume you mean, go mainstream? Personally I'd argue that a DT is as mainstream as prog metal will ever get. They got radio play even in this state with As I Am off of Train of Thought.

Aren't Dream Theater and Manowar really just opposite sides of the same coin? Manowar has taken Power Metal to its cheesiest levels, Dream Theater has taken Prog to its wankiest levels. Both are hold overs from the 80s, who failed to breakthrough commercially, who have been very influential on their genre, and who have insanely loyal fanbases.

>having a top 10 album
>"failing to break through commercially"

pick one

Lol, but dude, your posts are mostly based on lunacy. Biased I may be, but at least sane! :lol:

Bullshit.
Once again, another statement that you can only back up with your bias against the band.

If ANGRA came back to the states to play your town at that ticket price you would say it was justified.

Bottom line is these shows are selling very well at this price.

There were a hell of a lot more than "40" people from Detroit there. There was a separate line for the Detroit ticket holders that had to be at least 100 from when I saw it. So those ass hats who are claiming the low ticket sales are the usual haters who are making junk up to fuel the bandwagoners who want to join the pile on.

The only complain I have about this tour is the set length. I agree at that price and with no opener it should be at least a 2 hour show.

Bullshit.
Once again, another statement that you can only back up with your bias against the band.

Actually, nope. Again, Jasonic is wrong. I was in talks with the band's management to get someone to provide support for this tour. Too bad you don't know the "terms", but they just further my point. You have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

Jasonic said:
If ANGRA came back to the states to play your town at that ticket price you would say it was justified.

If Angra came back to the states charging $75/ticket, I would not buy a ticket. I don't care what you say.

Jasonic said:
There were a hell of a lot more than "40" people from Detroit there. There was a separate line for the Detroit ticket holders that had to be at least 100 from when I saw it. So those ass hats who are claiming the low ticket sales are the usual haters who are making junk up to fuel the bandwagoners who want to join the pile on.

See, that's the thing... you don't really know the behind the scenes involving them, so you choose to believe that it's just a bunch of haters. You're nothing but a biased fan. ;)

who failed to breakthrough commercially,

Commercial failure?

Hmmm... Billboard charts say otherwise in the past few years:

Systematic Chaos: #19 (35,689)
Black Clouds and Silver Linings: #6 (40,285)
A Dramatic Turn of Events: #8 (36,000)
Dream Theater: #7 (34,000)

As a way to compare:
Awake: #32 (36,160)

I am the first one to agree that CD sales are not nearly what they used to be - that's a given. But a top 10 disc three albums in a row these days certainly classifies as commercially successful in my book.

Hahaha, so wait....
They turned down one of your bands as support, so that's what this is all about??
Let's be realistic. That would have been career suicide anyhow!!!!!!

and why wouldn't you pay $75 to see ANGRA??????

I would have no issue paying that to see any of my top 10 fav bands, esp if it's been 10 years or more since I saw them last.........

I am sure MANOWAR are not the easiest band to work with, but they have built up an extremely loyal world wide fanbase over the course of their career.

They have become a "destination" band. They can charge what they do and people come out.
I am sure to make their show the best possible in their eyes, they have what may seem like crazy monetary, production, etc demands.

The point is a lot of people in general don't care for MANOWAR because they are a bit too much, well, on everything!
Though that's also why so many people like them.

That's my point with the bandwagon haters. It's easy to crap on this tour, since there are already THOUSANDS who hate everythign they do anyhow! HA!

Hahaha, so wait....
They turned down one of your bands as support, so that's what this is all about??

I would have no issue paying that to see any of my top 10 fav bands, esp if it's been 10 years or more since I saw them last.........

I am sure MANOWAR are not the easiest band to work with, but they have built up an extremely loyal world wide fanbase over the course of their career.

They have become a "destination" band. They can charge what they do and people come out.
I am sure to make their show the best possible in their eyes, they have what may seem like crazy monetary, production, etc demands.

The point is a lot of people in general don't care for MANOWAR because they are a bit too much, well, on everything!
Though that's also why so many people like them.

That's my point with the bandwagon haters. It's easy to crap on this tour, since there are already THOUSANDS who hate everythign they do anyhow! HA!

I don't disagree with you in that supply and demand ultimately dictates what's going to work out and what's not going to work out, but implying that he's taking it out on you because he couldn't get a band on this tour is pretty childish bro.

Hahaha, so wait....

Actually, no. I turned out their offer to include one of my bands on their tour based on their terms. Other way around. :)

Jasonic said:

Yes. Based on their terms, 100% (to my band, lol).

Jasonic said:

I'd get comp'd. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I completely agree that it's worth paying to see your favorite band, but Manowar takes advantage of it, bro. They are dishonest. They make it like it's all about the fans - fucking bullshit! It's all about their wallet!

Commercial failure?

Hmmm... Billboard charts say otherwise in the past few years:

Systematic Chaos: #19 (35,689)
Black Clouds and Silver Linings: #6 (40,285)
A Dramatic Turn of Events: #8 (36,000)
Dream Theater: #7 (34,000)

As a way to compare:
Awake: #32 (36,160)

I am the first one to agree that CD sales are not nearly what they used to be - that's a given. But a top 10 disc three albums in a row these days certainly classifies as commercially successful in my book.
The numbers you posted mostly speak to my point about an "insanely loyal fan base" who runs out and buys their CD the day it's released. What do their Week #2 sales look like for any of those albums?

Regardless, when I was speaking of commercial success, I was speaking in terms of the success bands enjoyed in the 80s.

I don't disagree with you in that supply and demand ultimately dictates what's going to work out and what's not going to work out, but implying that he's taking it out on you because he couldn't get a band on this tour is pretty childish bro.

Not taking it out on me, but taking it out on the KINGS OF METAL!!!!!! :)

Milton - That's part of what I mean by career suicide.
There is no doubt that $$$ is a large part of what drives them.
Excess in everything since the beginning has been the norm.

More importantly, opening bands go over pretty poorly at a Manowar show.
I didn't see the Rhapsody tour, but the only time I saw Manowar where an opening band did okay was Immortal.

Either way, I suppose it would be cool to say you did a tour with them, but yeah, I would imagine they would ask for a buy on, and the opening band to pay for all promotion, and all that jazz.

As a fan, all I want is a killer memorable show of a band I love that doesn't play too often, and that's honestly what I feel I received.

The numbers you posted mostly speak to my point about an "insanely loyal fan base" who runs out and buys their CD the day it's released. What do their Week #2 sales look like for any of those albums?

Regardless, when I was speaking of commercial success, I was speaking in terms of the success bands enjoyed in the 80s.

Week 2 sales are almost always a 60% drop give or take - universal among almost all releases save for the absolute biggest.

Even still, DT has a gold album. It's a complete fallacy to say they were commercially unsuccessful.

Even still, DT has a gold album. It's a complete fallacy to say they were commercially unsuccessful.
Whether or not it's a fallacy, depends on what you use as the the measurement for success. If my measurement for success is bands who have multiple platinum records, than having only a single gold record could reasonably be described as "commercially unsuccessful". Given that the band they've most frequently been compared to throughout their career is Queensryche, who had three platinum records, my statement is hardly a stretch.

But we're in 2014. :lol: Did Manowar charge $75/ticket at the peak of their career success?

Did anyone really? Back when Rush, Scorpions, Judas Priest, AC/DC and Iron Maiden were releasing their most successful albums I was paying $15 to $20 a ticket. Tickets for those bands, well past their "peak of career success," are well over $100 now.