Manowar U.S. tour dates

Good for you.

The point is that I do in fact like their music - so assuming I didn't for whatever reason is not only a strawman but it's a ridiculous assumption that serves to undermine everything you say and yet again prove that you're literally wrong about everything.

Looks like we can keep this thread going for several more months. The Atlanta concert is postponed until 11/12.

Sigh.

No doubt it is the smart decision so I can't be critical. But I am disappointed.

I am supposed to see Lacuna Coil next week in Atlanta with my daughter. I can see the blizzard blowing in for that night already...

The San Francisco show last night was very good. I'm guessing that it was the second loudest show I've ever been to (loudest being Blackfoot back in 1983). Even wearing earplugs, my ears are still ringing today. From the opening note of the intro music to to closing note of the closing music, the show clocked in at just over 100 minutes. The show was sold out, although the small balcony in the venue was curtained off. The normal capacity of the Regency Ballroom is about 1,000, and I'm guessing that the balcony holds no more than 200 people (it's only 3 rows in a horseshoe shape around the outside), so that puts it at about 800 tickets sold. By the way, the balcony is almost never open there, but this is the first time I'm seen curtains. Maybe it was done for sound. Although I wasn't too happy about the short setlist, it did allow me to make it in time to see the Dark Tranquillity concert a few miles away afterward.

Sold out? I saw Amon Amarth at the same venue the week before Manowar - THAT show was sold out. I literally went and bought a beer and walked up to the front barrier in the middle of the set. It was not sold out. Furthermore, I’ve been to at least 10 shows at the Regency Center and I’ve never seen the balcony blocked-off like that.

This show was my first Manowar show and I’m sorry to say, but it was pretty disappointing. I went to the show with a few other Manowar first-timers and I think the basic feeling was like, “that was pretty disappointing”. I’m sorry to spread the hate, but we’ve been rocking out to Manowar jams for the past 10 years and we were totally expecting a band that calls themselves the KINGS OF METAL to come out and rock our sacks off in a live performance but instead we just left feeling like we got a raw deal.

Now, musically, the band pretty much hit it. Eric’s vocals sounded great and I think their set list was pretty decent. But it is so hard to overlook all the other things that happened - or didn’t happen - to make me feel like I would ever want to see them again:

• I don’t get the loudness thing. Being the “loudest” band seems like such an 80’s gimmick. To us it made the drums sound like shit and Joey’s bass solo just sounded like a bunch of BLBUBUBBLBUBLBBUBBUBB. Loudness =/= greatness.

• The crowd interaction was a disaster. How hard is it to say something like, “HELLO SAN FRANCISCO! WE ARE THE KINGS OF METAL! HAIL AND KILLLLLL!” Instead the band doesn’t say anything to the crowd except for when Joey DeMaio comes out and starts on this contrived rant about how the curtains cost $15,000 and that Manowar is “NO TWENTY DOLLAR BAND”. Also, he thought it was a compliment to call us MAN FRANCISCO. His speech was cringeworthy.

• $75. After Ticket purchase rape fees: $91. What the hell?

• No pictures / video allowed. Okay, I guess some bands still do this, but it’s kind of a bullshit move. The venue was cracking down on people taking pictures with their phones. I know it wasn’t the venue’s fault because 6 days prior I saw Amon Amarth and they had no problem with it. Come on dudes, it’s 2014 and you’re not Celine Dion.

I’ll finish with some positive thoughts:

• There was a lady in a wheelchair at the front row rocking out with her husband, which was pretty cool to see. Or as Joey DeMaio probably would say, “Mandicapped”.
  • Eric’s singing was pretty flawless. He can still hit the notes.
  • The video about all of the people that Manowar thanked was pretty touching.

• No pictures / video allowed. Okay, I guess some bands still do this, but it’s kind of a bullshit move. The venue was cracking down on people taking pictures with their phones. I know it wasn’t the venue’s fault because 6 days prior I saw Amon Amarth and they had no problem with it. Come on dudes, it’s 2014 and you’re not Celine Dion.

I don't think this is a Manowar thing because it wasn't the case when I saw them.

It was probably a Manowar request/demand, but some of the venues get really lax on stuff like that (or they go overboard).

I've seen a lot of bands at Trees here in Dallas that will play to the people recording video and ham it up, and other shows (like Kamelot) where if someone starts recording on their mobile, security pushes into the crowd and pulls them aside immediately and shuts them down.

Yeah I can't stand people who think tinnitus is some cool rite of passage.

That's 'cause you're not a teenager anymore. We old people have no idea what is cool. ;-)

I've only had bad tinnitus from a show twice since I grew up.. Blind Guardian in 2010, because I stupidly parked myself 3 feet from one of their extra speakers stage left... my fault.

The other time was Accept when they opened for Kreator - when they did the initial scream for Fast As A Shark, Tormilo's vocals were way too high, and I felt my ears go immediately. despite being at least 30 feet from any speakers.. it was so bad that I could hear ringing during Kreator's set.