Matt Barlow new pyramaze voice!!!

If it's true, and I suspect it is based on the source of the above text... I wish both Matt and the band the best....I know Iced Earth has always been Michael's favorite band so it is perfect for him...

I also know that Michael doesn't want to play very much so that is perfect for both he and Matt...

Michael gave me the creative freedom to do with the songs what I liked, though mentioned in the beginning he would like them powerful. I don't remember him ever saying he didn't like the high vocals, on the contrary....if he had, it would have been done differently, I think the albums came out exceptionally well, and I look forward to hearing what Matt brings to the table with the band.

I'm sure it will be great metal!

As always, Lance, you show yourself to be a COMPLETE class act in every way. :headbang:

Best to YOU,

Craig

Seeing as how IE got me into power right when Blind Guardian did, I'm just fucking stoked to hear that he's comming back. I've only heard Pyramaze's "Legend of the Bone Carver" album, but from that work alone, it seems like it's going to be an interresting pair.

BTW, am I the only one who wants to see Barlow wearing his badge on his costume in that promo pic?

I wonder if Michael knows how much pressure he's under now. This will have to be the most anticipated album of '08.
Excellent point.

Pyramaze was great with Lance, and Lance is an awesome singer. But it's the return of Barlow, who has to be in the top three best metal vocalists of all time, if not THE top (for me at least).
Lance should be very flattered by the lengths bands need to go to adequately replace him. First John K. in Balance of Power, who is underrated and simply amazing. And now Barlow.

Zod

Well, I've been out of the loop over the weekend, but this is excellent news to hear! Eventhough, Pyramaze will most likely sound like an Iced Earth clone, but who cares? Pyramaze's music has always sounded like IE to me, but with Lance on vox.

~Brian~

Impossible. Nobody's gonna come up with the gallop-intensive riffs that Jon creates, and I'm quite sure Michael has a very strong idea of how he wants to write songs, now that he's got one of his favorite bands' singers with him. He's gonna want to create a Pyramaze album, not an Iced Earth tribute. It'll be heavy as heavy can get, no doubt, but I'm sure Matt also wants to prove that he's not just the Devil Incarnate with a microphone. He'll want to prove that he's badass, AND a fully capable and expansive singer. I have a feeling we'll get an album that will span quite a lot of speeds, styles, heaviness and musical change.

I take this news with mixed emotions. I am thrilled that Barlow is coming back to metal; however, I am disappointed that it will not be with Iced Earth. I did not particularly like Glorious Burden, but I'm not convinced that's due to Ripper's vocal style. My understanding is that many of the songs on GB were written for Barlow, so I do look forward to the new Iced Earth album to see what they are able to do when writing specifically for Ripper.

Either way, I can't wait to hear what Pyramaze will sound like with one of the greatest metal singers ever!

Nate

Not to knock on you dude, but I am sure you have been wrong more than once in your lifetime. :p

Prove it. :)

No, it was a joke. If it was the truth it would have been more like: I have been right once before. :loco:

I take this news with mixed emotions. I am thrilled that Barlow is coming back to metal; however, I am disappointed that it will not be with Iced Earth.
I don't think that would've ever happened. First, I believe Jon prefers Ripper. And second, Matt doesn't want to be involved with a project that requires the type of commitment that Iced Earth requires.

My understanding is that many of the songs on GB were written for Barlow, so I do look forward to the new Iced Earth album to see what they are able to do when writing specifically for Ripper.
Not true. I asked Jon this very question in an interview. He said, it doesn't matter who his singer is, it doesn't effect his songwriting approach one bit.

Zod

Um.... go listen to Path I Choose on Alive In Athens. On my best day, I still can't scream that last note! Matt has a far more versatile voice than we all know.

It's a scream...clearly falsetto. Most of the song is done in lower register which is where Barlow dwells except for the occasional reach, then again falsetto. Not a sustained high end which is where Pyramaze's material is.