Most embarrassing metal?

ashaman7122

Crazy on a ship of fools
Dec 11, 2002
In a never-ending effort to stimulate some good debate on this board...

Once before, there was a thread asking for everyone's favorite non-metal music that you may or may not normally admit to being a fan of...this is a little different...

What is the most embarrassing metal album (or group) that you are a fan of but are sometimes embarrassed to see it in your collection?

Or even further...

What albums (or bands) do you have in your collection that you absolutely resent having, can't stand, don't like, totally embarrassed by, can't believe you still have, think you should get rid of...but you don't cuz it's...well...it's still metal...?

For example, I've always been a big Lizzy Borden fan (since the beginning). Don't really spin them all that often, but, when I do, it's heaven. Great crazy LA metal that brings back great memories. When people see that in my collection they either give me a blank look or (those that know) will wrinkle their nose in disgust. (Also, my wife constantly makes fun of me for having Poison albums in my collection...)

Going further, I constantly wonder why I have two Liege Lord CDs in my collection, but I can't seem to get rid of them. I also wonder what led me to buy King Kobra III on CD long ago...

Anyone else with skeletons in their closet?

Wanna sell that King Kobra III disc? Is that embarassing enough? :tickled:

I still have the glam-rock cds fromt he 80s, but I"m a huge 80s music fan (no matter the genre) so I'm not that embarassed about it.

People do look at the couple Celine Dion albums (which sit right next to the DIO ones) a bit odd.

Metal-wise.. I think those that don't know Butt Trumpet have the best look on their faces when they see that one in the rack.

Well... I hate to admit it, but I loved HammerFall's Legacy Of Kings. It was a great introduction to power metal, and it showed me and my fellow bandmates that there was something else out there better than what we all were familiar with on American radio. We never really stopped to check out Manowar, or Helloween, or Kamelot or Labyrinth or Blind Guardian or Edguy or Gamma Ray or ANYTHING we now listen to. It was HammerFall that really introduced us, and I'll be damned if I don't still remember how to play every note on it. As a matter of fact, I think we'll bust out a little tomorrow at band practice! What say you, Lars? Ready?

But after they lost Patrick Rafling on drums, the band took a nose dive into a pile of shit, and they lost their edge, their speed, their drive, their power! They are now just a mediocre metal band! This Anders guy, whoever he is, sure doesn't fit the band like Patrick did. And when we discovered HammerFall, I checked online and discovered that they had come through town only a month before in Detroit! We missed our chance to see them with Patrick! We saw them open up for Dio last year, and they were a complete letdown. I tried to enjoy it all, and they did perform well, but they sure didn't have the energy that I hear on the albums and the bootleg CD I found. The last two albums were horrible and weak, and I'll not buy anything else from them.

But that Legacy of Kings disc.... still a keeper.

I take pride in all of the bands I listen to - Metal or not. I don't listen to anything that I'm embrassed of and that is, of course, because I only listen to good music! :)

I will have to support Creeps on this one as I am also a big fan of 80's metal and not embarrased of anything as it was the music of the time. For Ashaman....Lizzy Borden is great. I have a bunch of their CD's....Master of Disguise being my favorite.

Off metal I would say that i am a fan of Liz Phair and Alanis Morrisette.

The one "metal" CD I don't seem to part with and I don't know why is a pop-metal band called Hericane Alice. I won it at a radio give away at the local dog track about 12 years ago. I have 3 CD's form a 90's pop-punk band called the Muffs that I cant seem to part with also. I don't really listen to them yet they remain on the shelf. I one quilty pleasure that i do still listen to and consider myself a fan of is the band Lillian Axe.....Say what you want....I was a fan in the 80's and I don't stop being a fan b/c it may not be cool. I'm sure everyone has some CD's they dont tell people about but still listen to when they are home by themselves.

I gotta admit I still blush when someone points out the Europe-Super Hits cd in my collection. But come on--the drummer was left handed, and I'm a lefty drummer too, so I felt a little kinship. :oops:

And since this is turning into a Lizzy Borden appreciation thread, I have to say I thought Deal with the Devil was kick-ass cd. I had never paid much attention to LB (and I still only have that album), but it made me reconsider all the negative stuff I'd heard about them.

:Smokin:

Negative stuff you heard about them...fuck you Budman! You went to school with the biggest LB fan on the planet (me), you moron...where did you hear bad shit about them? I'm highly offended.

As far as Europe is concerned, I am a huge Europe fan...! However, I consider The Final Countdown album to be an abomination and I refuse to own it. All of their others are great in my opinion...

As for the rest of you...great feedback...and it seems some of you take umbrage on "being embarrassed" about something. "I only listen to good music..." Sure...so do I...and I listen to all kinds of rock, metal, blues, etc. Hell...just being a metal fan is all encompassing. But each and every one of you have to admit that you've got some shit in your collection that you love, but you still shake your head in wonder at yourself sometimes.

My fave pick so far...the Celine Dion right next to the Dio...haha...what a funny lookin' fuckin' kid that would be...I don't know about you sometimes Creeps!

Rock on, brothers!

Creeps said:
Wanna sell that King Kobra III disc?
Sorry dude...seems like a perfectly reasonable question to ask...especially in light of this thread...but that's probably the reason I hang on to it...the novelty and collectibility of it...

I'll keep you in mind, though...

I think the one, that always gave people pause, was my copy of Wrathchild - Stakk Attakk from '84. One look at the cover and they break out in laughter. Kinda like poison musically, only better imo...totally over the top image. Fun listening and not to be taken seriously.

The worst rock/metal album I ever bought was the first Nitro...fuckin' horrible. I got rid of it, but I think I still have a copy of Keel - The Right To Rock.

wcstak.gif

i'm pretty embarassed about having Cinderella's Night Songs, but with an exception for 2 songs i love the album. Metallica's Load is pretty bad, but when i head until it sleeps when i was 8 years old it saved from bad music,i ha ve a soft spot for that album.

Even though i don't own it i'm pretty ashamed for liking Dimmu Borgir-Pronegies of the great apocolypse, 'cause they are so cheesy. i don't care for any other songs except for stormbalst which is all piano so that really doesn't count.

I'm also ashamed for liking that secret sphere show last at pp4. when youre up front the sound sucks most of the time anyway so i couldn't tell that the singer was going flat or not, gimme a break.they put on a good show even though dress really stupid.

TheWhisper said:
I think the one, that always gave people pause, was my copy of Wrathchild - Stakk Attakk from '84. One look at the cover and they break out in laughter. Kinda like poison musically, only better imo...totally over the top image. Fun listening and not to be taken seriously.

The worst rock/metal album I ever bought was the first Nitro...fuckin' horrible. I got rid of it, but I think I still have a copy of Keel - The Right To Rock.

wcstak.gif
Total OTT cheese metal...Wrathchild, Nitro, and Keel...I love it! Yeah, they sucked, but bands like that are so much a part of the metal movement...and the evolution of metal...

Now don't you feel better about it after admitting your sins?

Diggin back a few days with this:

Well.... if someone can show me a good example of Anders Johannson's drumming, please do so. I saw him live, I have both Renegade and Crimson Thunder, and can't stand his stuff. It's so simplified and dumbed down compared to Patrick and, well, everything else out there, that I can't stand it! And his high-hat sound on Renegade... atrocious! It's so washy and open it drowns out the rest of his drumming, and some of the guitar work.

But I am always open to allow someone to prove me wrong. Gimme a good example, and I'll check it out.

The one people expect me to be embarrased about is the entire Danger Danger catalog. I say expect because I play D2 loud and proud, but people give me strange looks. I'm not really embarrased by any of the music I own, but I guess the one I cringe a little on is "Syre - It ain't pretty being easy" That album is pretty bad.

Good thread! I love the "Butt Trumpet" reference...oh, and I LOVE Hammerfal...all the albums!

I love ASIA. In any incarnation. I absolutely love RUSH. PINK FLOYD from "Dark Side of the Moon" on until present day. Especially, "The Division Bell". I enjoy JOURNEY, EMERSON, LAKE, AND PALMER, BAD COMPANY w/ PAUL RODGERS, LED ZEPPELIN, YES, LYNYRD SKYNYRD, MOLLY HATCHET, ROGER WATERS, and I'm also a monster diehard fan of the gonzo motherfuckin' Motor City Madman...TED NUGENT! I also like FOREIGNER, BLUE OYSTER CULT, AC/DC, VAN HALEN, STYX, SAMMY HAGAR, BILLY SQUIER, ROB ZOMBIE, and others I most likely have forgotten. I will always be a metal guy first and foremost! I'm not embarrassed to have any of this stuff side by side with my metal stuff because there may not be any metal without some or most of these bands.

I more into bands like these, except for asia and rob zombie. Asia in my opinion was the biggest dissapointment in prog history. The first album wasn't too bad but when John Wetton left and was replaced by Greg Lake, that's when they went downhill in my opinion.

hmmm. good thread. I too grew up an 80's metal fan and amongst my many cd's are Bon Jovi, Poison, D'Molls, etc. that get some laughs but I don't care, i'm proud to be an 80's metalhead... it was a fucking great time of my life. But the ones I probably wouldn't want anyone to see are my Mentors cd's. Four-F club for life! :tickled:

"find her, feel her, f^#$ her, forget her!" :OMG: