My crew will smile at this....

I always assumed that bands lugged around all those extra Marshalls so that if something malfunctioned during a gig, they could do a quick swap-out and the show would go on. But does Yngwie burn out enough cabs to need 31 on tour? Hmmmm.

Petrucci discusses the need for faux wedges in the first minute of the following tour of his guitar rig...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPC6nUIm_6E

He (Yngwie) may try to use all of those lol. But many OTHER guitarists use and mic a smaller rig offstage
Eddie VH used to use a Peavey 5150 COMBO (small 2x12) when he 1st went to Peavey. He'd run that, stereo out to H&H poweramps for a Wet/Dry/Wet rig (one uneffected cabinet, and 2 wet or effected speakers). Gets a HUGE sound. But that takes 3 mic lines minimum

2 others that do that (W/D/W) are Steve Lukather and Steve Stevens - 2 tone monsters. :worship:

So although this was news to me, apparently it isn't really a secret...I checked Wikipedia (when wondering "wtf would be the point of all those Marshall stacks anyway?"), and this section has been in there for years:

So for you sound guys, how much of the guitar sound in the PA comes from a mic'ed-up on-stage speaker cabinet, and how much comes from some sort of direct line from the amplifier? 100%/0%? 50/50? Depends on the guitarist? Also, how much of what the audience hears comes from the PA vs. the on-stage speaker cabinets?

I was under the impression that these days, you can just plug your guitar into some box, and plug that box into the overall sound-system, and that's all you need. Is the mic'ed-up speaker cabinet a throwback from before such fancy electronics were invented, or is it something that's still necessary for "good" sound? Or are the band's on-stage speakers simply a necessary part of the overall sound in the venue?

Btw, here's the front-view form that Immortal show:

Immortal_hellfest.jpg

I remember asking a while ago, in this age of in-ear monitoring systems, if the monitor wedges at the front of the stage are purely dummy props just there for Bruce Dickinson to balance on and Steve Harris/Abbath to prop his leg on. At the time I found it hard to believe that they would go to the trouble of lugging empty boxes around just for show, but now that's a lot easier to believe! :lol:

Neil
Not a sound guy - but there is something about the way speaker movement and how it moves air that interact, and produce "that" sound. I dunno if it is certain frequencies or what.. but nothing gets you 100% of that affect of speakers pushing air.

Now - don't get me wrong - the modeling, plus IR's (used in the recording studio to simulate this speaker/air/mic interaction) can get you DAMN close.... but something is missing. But a good engineer can get it so that almost no-one would notice just by listnening

I guess it'd be like having an autograph - or photocopy or scan of that autograph, ya know..?

I once saw Yngwie headlining a show in Danbury, CT (believe it or not, lol) and he had literally over 20 Marshall stacks on his stage. Upon actually taking a closer look, I noticed that only 2 actually had the power light on. :lol:

I once saw Yngwie headlining a show in Danbury, CT (believe it or not, lol) and he had literally over 20 Marshall stacks on his stage. Upon actually taking a closer look, I noticed that only 2 actually had the power light on. :lol:
Heh, Dave and I saw the exact same thing when we saw him. Both of us noticed it right away.

I was at that show - Tuxedo Junction? Caught many shows there - Savatage... etc