My personal thoughts on the Kamelot situation

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh my God, you're killing me dude.

The Andre Matos comment was NOT serious. Didn't take a genius to figure that out.

As far as Matos being overrated, this is the deserved reply:

facepalm_third_party.jpg

Lol add a fourth party to that one.

I was bitten by a radioactive spider that crash-landed from the planet Krypton. Thus, I have no need to risk my professional reputation on idle speculation!

....or perhaps I'm good friends with the guys in the band and REMAIN good friends after my post.

Hmmmmm.....

Care to wager a case of beer on things? Honestly, I'd love to lose on this one.

Hmm, then how do we know you weren't coerced into saying it all under threat from Kamelot that they'd push a button on Shagrath, which makes lasers come out of his eyes to blow up the world, or worse yet, aim them only at Jimmy Buffett?

This doesn't sound too promising...

Oliver Hartmann would certainly be a cool choice. I haven't heard him sing on anything since At Vance, (besides his backing vocals during the Avantasia Wacken gig, but that hardly counts...) and he was their best singer. Love to hear him back at the helm of something.

My interest is strangely piqued

It was Hartmann's more AOR sounding solo albums that made me suggest it. He does that smooth melodic thing that seems to be a Kamelot (or at least Khan) trademark.

i have been out of town for the holidays and i would like to clarify my statement. i REALLY enjoyed the second Kamelot album with first singer, but i was just trying to make a point about bands making necessary transitions. that's all. i wasn't putting him down, because honestly first Kamelot album with Khan sucks and sucks bad. not necessary his fault since i am sure he didn't write any of the melodies and at that time was brought in to do the album, but either way it is sub-par.

It's not the strongest album, but Siege Perilous was my first Kamelot album, so it's got a lot of sentimental value to me.

Whatever they do, there isnt really a Roy Khan clone that exists and as i keep saying i think it would be a major step back to get a vocalist who wants to be Micheal Kiske or Bruce Dickinson. I guess they do have to get someone that can somewhat pull off the back catalog as well. this is going to be very hard replacement. I wonder if even some one like Christian Älvestam would be a good idea he has the range and would bring something new to the table. whoever it is though will be like Blaze Bailey replacing Bruce to the fans even though Roy is the one that chose to leave.

Really? Along with Edguy? Sweet! I saw Rhapsody (of Fire..) in Philadelphia a few years ago at the Theater of the Living Arts (I think it's called can't remember) and thought I had one upped you.. so much for that lol. Amazing show! They were flawless, perhaps were even better than what's on the cds. I'll bet you had a blast. You get to hang out with him/them?

I spoke to Tobias because I am a major fangirl.. but that was it. Wish I got a picture!! If I get to open for Sabaton and Accept, I'm gonna have a hard time not peeing my pants..

This X 100000000.
It's just a shame for the band with the timing of all of this.
I mean, I know some things you can't control, but I do believe this has impacted the reception of their latest album.
It is hardly discussed anywhere.

I couldn't agree more... The only thing that has been discussed is well, what we're discussing and that's a shame.. I think the music is a hell of alot stronger than the vocals on PftP

Hey, isn't ZP Theart free now? :loco:

In seriousness,

1.) I know some people here are saying they liked Kamelot with Vanderbilt, and, sadly, I have to weigh in that I have found little power/prog less-enjoyable for me than pre-Khan Kamelot. :/ And that sort of includes Siege Perilous. The band came alive with Fourth Legacy, and have been awesome since, IMHO. But each to their own!

2.) I actually really hope I get to see them with Lione. What a strange pairing! It'd be sort of like Lione starting a Kamelot cover band! Awesome!

3.) Whatever happens, Youngblood won't let Kamelot die. I think it'll all be good in the end.

Well, uh, because it hasn't been officially announced. Or inofficially, for that matter. And regrettably I am (unlike a significant portion of this forum, it seems) a mere mortal who does not possess the superhuman power of foretelling future events.

Fair enough. Just keep in mind this forum has a lot more than the average "know-it-all metalheads" that you find in other forums, and a lot more people who are... let's call "spider-bitten" if that makes you happy. ;)

Hey, isn't ZP Theart free now? :loco:

In seriousness,

1.) I know some people here are saying they liked Kamelot with Vanderbilt, and, sadly, I have to weigh in that I have found little power/prog less-enjoyable for me than pre-Khan Kamelot. :/ And that sort of includes Siege Perilous. The band came alive with Fourth Legacy, and have been awesome since, IMHO. But each to their own!

2.) I actually really hope I get to see them with Lione. What a strange pairing! It'd be sort of like Lione starting a Kamelot cover band! Awesome!

3.) Whatever happens, Youngblood won't let Kamelot die. I think it'll all be good in the end.

LOL ZP should join Lost Horizon. And yes, Youngblood is the force behind Kamelot. He will make sure the band continues in the same level as before.

I spoke to Tobias because I am a major fangirl.. but that was it. Wish I got a picture!! If I get to open for Sabaton and Accept, I'm gonna have a hard time not peeing my pants..

Coolbeans, yea you should have. I wished I would have had a Droid X back when Rhapsody came, as I was pretty close up and it was a smaller venue, unlike how far back I was for X-Japan. Lol uh yea, sure hope for Fabios sake you aren't going to be throwing those on stage.

I bet Thomas had Glenn post this thread so he could see all the suggestions we'd make for replacements, and make his job at finding one that much easier. :loco:

For the humor impaired, that is not the case. I did this strictly on my own in an attempt to stop the negativity being directed toward the band.

It's interesting being the most hated person in a thread, haven't experienced that before, but ah well... caveat clickor.

:oops:

It was Thomas Youngblood's post at kamelot.com that gave me a lot of perspective.

He stated that 99% of their revenue comes from touring. I knew it was a large chunk, but 99% was an eye-opener. In short... no tour, no money. No money? No Kamelot.

Looks like supporting the band with a different vocalist has become a matter of survival for Kamelot. I think Thomas' comment drove that home to me.

As a Rhapsody fan it intrigues me that they chose Fabio to replace Roy over the next tour.

I know most of you are very familiar with Kamelot, but to me, they were new, I've only known of them over the past 18 months or so. And yes, fell under the spell of Roy's voice, part of the Church o' Khan, Khangrrl, Khanfan, whatever you want to call it. I do tend to be very passionate about the things I like.

After the dust has settled and I've gotten over my disappointment, I think honestly? My disappointment is in Roy himself. Not just because he canceled a show I was to attend, but because he's left the band, its fans, and the entire machinery of the Kamelot brand and its products and tours in complete limbo with not a hint of direction towards the future.

I had this naive expectation that the great show I got on the One Cold Winter's Night DVD was the experience I had to look forward to. But since I discovered Kamelot, it seems everything has started to fall apart. It's weird to get into a band, them seem fresh, new, and exciting to you, only to realize you're standing on the edge of a cliff, and showed up just in time to see things disintegrate. Bewildering... not something I've ever experienced before.

PftP was too dark of an album, and I'm not surprised he's had issues since putting it out. That video was hellish and maybe, if Roy's found religion, the Lord took him all the way down before lifting him back up. Who's to say...

I just know that you become what you surround yourself with.

I couldn't live with myself if my surroundings were that video for "The Great Pandemonium". It seemed wrong for Kamelot, and maybe, that push towards much darker imagery ended up being wrong for Khan. The album kind of gave me the creeps, though I did my best to "support" them and try to convince myself that it was good, in reality I only liked 2 songs on PftP.

At that point I was forced to ask myself, "Are you a Kamelot fan or just a Khan fan?" At this point, I don't know what to think. Just kind of weird the way everything went down. I feel sad for Thomas and the guys because their business partner just flaked out and left. Having been in bands myself before, I have experienced this too (on a much more amateur level).

I found myself thinking that too much darkness was maybe some of the problem here. Roy finding religion might be the best possible news.

For me, the spell is broken now. I see things differently. I had this view of Roy as this charismatic "metal elvis" type character. Now, I think of him as more of the troubled "jim Morrison" type frontman.

I wish them the best with whatever singer they tour with.

A lot of these bands are new to me. Just became acquainted with Seventh Wonder recently. Man... I'm blown away by them. Time to move on I suppose.

Good post Ardra

I can somehwat sympathize in that I discovered CONCEPTION with the album FLOW maybe back about 1998 or 1999 - and went nuts over it. I started hunting down their other three albums and along the way discovered that this 'new' band I was so high on....... had broken up years before...... lol

The thing that I will ALWAYS be indebted to Glenn for was the reunion show he engineeered as I never EVER thought I would get to see them play live.

Hi, Arda. Welcome to our forum - I love seeing new members!

I enjoyed reading your post; however, IMO, this statement is both naive and disparaging. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it??

I just know that you become what you surround yourself with.

The members of KAMELOT are entertainers. How you see them on stage, in videos, etc. does not necessarily mean that's how they are in real life..

~Jen

Does anyone think Kamelot would be good with a female lead? I started thinking this when I saw Simone would sing lead for some songs in South America. I'd love to see that.

Kamelot has always had a lot of female imagery, and Roy's grace and perhaps vocal range are more common in women too.

Of course, Simone is busy with Epica, but what about someone else?

Does anyone think Kamelot would be good with a female lead? I started thinking this when I saw Simone would sing lead for some songs in South America. I'd love to see that.

Kamelot has always had a lot of female imagery, and Roy's grace and perhaps vocal range are more common in women too.

Of course, Simone is busy with Epica, but what about someone else?

That would be interesting! I think Tommy Karevik or Michael Erikson would be amazing. Khan has seemed to lost some melody ideas and his range is not quite the same, expected with age. Maybe adding 2 singers? Elize from Amaranthe for example!? Weird that Khan has become a born again. I read the character in their latest video was his idea.

Does anyone think Kamelot would be good with a female lead?

::this is my personal opinion:: HELL NO!!! HUGE hell no.. like Luke Skywalker NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I'd go screaming thru this place like the guy on the 'You hit 'Reply All' commerical...

There are too many songs in the Kamelot catalog that a female vocalist couldn't do justice.. Come on Simone singing 'March of Mephisto'?? Really?? WHo does that?

If they got a female lead vocalist, that would be the final stab in the heart and I'd be done...