My personal thoughts on the Kamelot situation

Ugh...will this thread die already instead of someone reviving it every month? :lol:

And the idea of Kamelot with a female singer is stupid.

It's interesting that some people feel that without Roy Khan that Kamelot is no more (at least to these people).

The more I get into power and prog metal, I realize how many bands change members on a regular basis. There are very few bands that maintain their lineup more than a couple of years. I'm amazed how long Vanden Plas has gone without a SINGLE lineup change! 17 years is a LONG time in metal (more than that if you consider the band itself formed in 1986, but their first album came out in 1994).

So are these fans of Roy Khan or are they fans of Kamelot? Good question. Can Kamelot move on without Roy? I think so. Will it be different? Absoultely. Will they maintain their fan base? Hard to tell. Some people will quit being fans because they feel they've been deceived. They can't move on. People sometimes just can't let go and accept the fact they are a different band now. People were upset that Michael Erikson filled in at ProgPower USA. IMHO he did an excellent job, considering the amount of time he had to learn the songs. Yes, he is not Roy (duh!). But he did an excellent job.

So basically, my advice to Kamelot fans - deal with it. We all deal with it with other bands changing members as often as some people change their socks. It's not the end of the world. Life goes on. Big freakin' deal. Does it affect the price of tea in China or oil in the Middle East? Nope. Sorry to burst your bubble. Nightwish moved on, so will Kamelot. It's a fact of life in metal. Get over it and move on.

It's interesting that some people feel that without Roy Khan that Kamelot is no more (at least to these people).

The more I get into power and prog metal, I realize how many bands change members on a regular basis. There are very few bands that maintain their lineup more than a couple of years. I'm amazed how long Vanden Plas has gone without a SINGLE lineup change! 17 years is a LONG time in metal.

So are these fans of Roy Khan or are they fans of Kamelot? Good question. Can Kamelot move on without Roy? I think so. Will it be different? Absoultely. Will they maintain their fan base? Hard to tell. Some people will quit being fans because they feel they've been deceived. They can't move on. People sometimes just can't let go and accept the fact is a different band now. People were upset that Michael Erikson filled in at ProgPower USA. IMHO he did an excellent job, considering the amount of time he had to learn the songs. Yes, he is not Roy (duh!). But he did an excellent job.

So basically, my advice to Kamelot fans - deal with it. We all deal with it with other bands changing members as often as some people change their socks. It's not the end of the world. Life goes on. Big freakin' deal. Does it affect the price of tea in China or oil in the Middle East? Nope. Sorry to burst your bubble. Nightwish moved on, so will Kamelot. It's a fact of life in metal. Get over it and move on.

Thank you. Stop being a little bitch and deal with it.

The more I get into power and prog metal, I realize how many bands change members on a regular basis. There are very few bands that maintain their lineup more than a couple of years. I'm amazed how long Vanden Plas has gone without a SINGLE lineup change! 17 years is a LONG time in metal (more than that if you consider the band itself formed in 1986, but their first album came out in 1994).

So are these fans of Roy Khan or are they fans of Kamelot? Good question. Can Kamelot move on without Roy? I think so. Will it be different? Absoultely. Will they maintain their fan base? Hard to tell. Some people will quit being fans because they feel they've been deceived. They can't move on. People sometimes just can't let go and accept the fact they are a different band now. People were upset that Michael Erikson filled in at ProgPower USA. IMHO he did an excellent job, considering the amount of time he had to learn the songs. Yes, he is not Roy (duh!). But he did an excellent job.

Well said. For the record, I like Nightwish MORE after Tarja. Go ahead everyone, crucify me.

I always thought Roy was a good singer, but to be honest, I never had any of those "wow !!" moments from him that I have heard from singers that really hit home in my ear..... so I am all in on a replacement.

Bryant

For me it was Center of the Universe. Timeless melodies. But I'm not too bothered with a new singer. Even it turns out to be Ripper :devil:

I always thought Roy was a good singer, but to be honest, I never had any of those "wow !!" moments from him that I have heard from singers that really hit home in my ear..... so I am all in on a replacement.

Bryant

Thomas Youngblood discusses Roy and religion in an interview with powermetal.cl of Chile on March 14, 2011.

~Jen

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like they are still holding out hope Khan will return, but really they should just continue to move on. Go out and get a singer who can handle all the songs in the catalog and also one that can handle the grind of the touring schedule.

I'm a long time fan of Roy, but apparently he was no longer able to do either of those things. I thought he struggled vocally the last several times I saw him perform and now we basically have confirmation from Thom that Khan wasn't able to handle the higher range songs any longer. It's no wonder that the last few discs are pretty devoid of speedy, higher pitched vocal tracks.

Britt

It sounds like they are still holding out hope Khan will return, but really they should just continue to move on. Go out and get a singer who can handle all the songs in the catalog and also one that can handle the grind of the touring schedule.

I'm a long time fan of Roy, but apparently he was no longer able to do either of those things. I thought he struggled vocally the last several times I saw him perform and now we basically have confirmation from Thom that Khan wasn't able to handle the higher range songs any longer. It's no wonder that the last few discs are pretty devoid of speedy, higher pitched vocal tracks.

Britt

My exact thoughts.

It sounds like they are still holding out hope Khan will return, but really they should just continue to move on.

But that's exactly what he says they will do, if Khan doesn't want to return when they start working for real on the new album. There's no point in "moving on" right now, when they've already planned three tours with a non-permanent vocalist. There is no good reason to fire him now.

Just wanted to say it's refreshing to be on a metal forum - the only metal forum I can imagine at this time, to be honest - that looks at an issue such as this like adults, rather than a chorus of "TEH ST00PID RELIGIONZ IT RUINS SOCIETEEE KILL IT!!!11". Kamelot with Lione fronting..? I can actually envision that, since his voice has gotten thicker in the midrange over time, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind if Rhapsody got a new singer and Lione went to Kamelot full time.......... the difference in material and presentation just seems to suit that situation IMO... but yeah. Cool that people here seem to be taking cues from the band insofar as reactions. Hope they pull through without much more damage done and Roy sees that he needs to be more responsible with this.

I love that Glenn very seldom pulls a punch, lol.

I have to say, Youngblood has got to be one the nicest and most understanding seeming people I've ever known to be in a band. Who else would really give a bandmate this much time and space before firing and replacing them? I was leaning toward going see them just because such goodness deserves rewards, but it's in the middle of the week in another state, which I couldn't make.

Thomas Youngblood discusses Roy and religion in an interview with powermetal.cl of Chile on March 14, 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZDjHm8zzPE

~Jen

Flying back to Norway every time they had a day or two off in Europe? Having a breakdown before the U.S. tour started? He's also mentioned having huge panic attacks in other interviews, which makes me think that he's had some really severe separation anxiety. :/ I love the dude, but he doesn't sound mentally fit to keep touring at all. If he's somehow well enough to rejoin Kamelot after this, then great! But if/when they go their separate ways permanently, I wouldn't blame them.

I have to say, Youngblood has got to be one the nicest and most understanding seeming people I've ever known to be in a band. Who else would really give a bandmate this much time and space before firing and replacing them? I was leaning toward going see them just because such goodness deserves rewards, but it's in the middle of the week in another state, which I couldn't make.

For sure. I have mucho respect for the guy in being patient and not wanting to be the guy to can him. However, this is his band and there needs to be a future resolution and soon. As others have said in the past, I'm really disappointed that Khan at least hasn't addressed the fans about this. With how loyal they've been they deserve that much.