My Top 13 of 2006

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I've found that whenever I review an annual Top 10 list of mine a few months after the fact, CDs released in the 4th quarter (that I was high on in January) tend to slide down the list a bit. So I figured, why not give everything six months to settle? And since I find the number 10 to be a completely arbitrary number to which to confine a list, here is my Top 13 of 2006.

Amon Amarth With Oden on our Side - hands down the best Death Metal band on the planet. Their ability to blend melody and brutality is simply stunning.

Zero Hour Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond - it seems Prog Metal is such a rare thing. Most "Prog Metal" acts are actually either Prog Rock or Math Metal. Zero Hour owns this landscape.

Drudkh Blood in our Wells - a return to form. Beautiful, brutal, Burzumesque Black Metal. Not quite as good as Autumn Aurora, but few discs are.

Isis In the Absence of Truth - each of the band's last three proper releases has seen a decrease in aggression. While I prefer Panopticon, this is still an superb release.

Pyramaze The Legend of the Bone Collector - if the debut was a 10/10, than Bone Collector is a 9.997/10.

Vanden Plas Christ 0 - as with the last VP CD, the first half of the disc is spectacular, the last half is a bit dull (comparatively speaking).

Wolves in the Throne Room Diadem Of 12 Stars - awesome USBM. Can't wait to hear what they do next.

Satyricon Now, Diabolical - Black n Roll at its best. In the car, at the gym, this disc just slays.

Wolverine Still - beautiful Prog Rock, with a decidedly Metal ethos. Few bands are capable of building songs from the ground up like Wolverine. (cough, cough, ProgPower IX)

Kiuas Reformation - why Kiuas doesn't get more recognition, I'll never know. If you like Metal, buy this.

Amorphis Eclipse - I played this CD for six weeks. It has since done little but collect dust in my CD rack. That said, few discs hold my attention for six weeks.

Iron Maiden A Matter Of Life And Death - make no mistake, this isn't a nostalgia pick. This is Maiden's best work since 7Soa7S.

Place of Skulls The Black is Never Far - if this disc had more guitar playing like that found on "Lookin' For a Reason", it would have been my disc of the year. Why Victor Griffin didn't take the time to do a two minute solo on every song is beyond comprehension. If you love great, emotive guitar playing, with a distinctively 70s vibe, track this song down.

Zod

Iron Maiden A Matter Of Life And Death - make no mistake, this isn't a nostalgia pick. This is Maiden's best work since 7Soa7S.

I couldn't agree with you more about this disc. I fear that I'll be disappointed in their next release after hearing A Matter of Life and Death. It just goes to show that a veteran metal band can still put out quality and just not quantity. :kickass:

~Brian~

Wow, Gen we only have 1 that's the same. Hopefully all mine are 2006

1 Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
2 Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth
3 Communic - Waves of Visual Decay
4 Mercenary - The Hours That Remain
5 Into Eternity - The Scattering Of Ashes
6 Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
7 Amorphis - Eclipse
8 Eidolon - The Parallel Otherworld
9 Tarot - Crows Fly Black
10 Novembre - Materia
11 Metal Church - A Light In The Dark
12 Moonspell - Memorial
13 Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime II

Amon Amarth With Oden on our Side - hands down the best Death Metal band on the planet. Their ability to blend melody and brutality is simply stunning.

Solid release. A band you can always count on.

General Zod said:
Drudkh Blood in our Wells - a return to form. Beautiful, brutal, Burzumesque Black Metal. Not quite as good as Autumn Aurora, but few discs are.

Superb atmospheric black metal - can't wait for Estrangement

Zod said:
Isis In the Absence of Truth - each of the band's last three proper releases has seen a decrease in aggression. While I prefer Panopticon, this is still an superb release.

A frustrating band who I want to appreciate but for some reason just find dull. Maybe if I ever get to see their renowned live show they will finally "click" with me.

Zod said:
Pyramaze The Legend of the Bone Collector - if the debut was a 10/10, than Bone Collector is a 9.997/10.

Yep, while I wouldn't go that high on the ranking scale with Legend of the Bone Carver, it's an extremely solid release and constitutes no drop off in quality over Melancholy Beast. A very exciting 3rd album lies waiting to be released. What an interesting sound that should be - just a million possibilities on where they can go with Barlow. I hope they cater to his true vocal strengths, power and emotion.

Zod said:
Vanden Plas Christ 0 - as with the last VP CD, the first half of the disc is spectacular, the last half is a bit dull (comparatively speaking).

Given how much you dig these guys, I owe them more attention then I've given them. Haven't clicked with me yet, but I'll keep trying.

Zod said:
Wolves in the Throne Room Diadem Of 12 Stars - awesome USBM. Can't wait to hear what they do next.

Agreed, this is just awesome, and the sample song from the new cd has me salivating all over the floor. It's just amazing that such an evovled black metal band hails from this side of the globe. Fantastic stuff.

Zod said:
Satyricon Now, Diabolical - Black n Roll at its best. In the car, at the gym, this disc just slays.

A blueprint for how to make a quality black n' roll album. Extremely catchy, extremely heavy, extremely melodic. What's not to like?

Zod said:
Kiuas Reformation - why Kiuas doesn't get more recognition, I'll never know. If you like Metal, buy this.

Thanks for bring this to my attention. Haven't listened in a while, but it's mostly due to the numbers game. An extremely solid release and a band that I would get excited over if they appeared at Progpower.

Zod said:
Amorphis Eclipse - I played this CD for six weeks. It has since done little but collect dust in my CD rack. That said, few discs hold my attention for six weeks.

Excellent metal cd - lots of crossover stuff that should appeal to fans at differents ends of the underground metal spectrum. Love the new vocalist, he definitely breathed some new fire and energy into a band that was stagnating.

Zod said:

100% agreed, this is a true return to form for the band and is quite honestly, among their best works IMO. It's definitely up there with Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and 7th Son.

Nice List.

Jason

I just got that Amon Amarth disc and very much enjoy it. My other favorites from the year were:

Arsis - United in Regret
Manticora - The Black Circus Pt. 1 - Letters
Persuader - When Eden Burns
Communic - Waves of Visual Decay
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Tyr - Ragnarok
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium
Mercenary - The Hours That Remain
Rodrigo y Gabriela - Rodrigo y Gabriela

I was thoroughly unimpressed with what I've heard of this album, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but it didn't grab me in the slightest. :erk:

I'm right there with you on the Iron Maiden, Pyramaze, Vanden Plas and
Zero Hour, I like what I've heard from Amon Amarth but need to hear
more, and the others I am pretty unfamiliar with. I'll have to check some
of those out...

I have to disagree with you about Maiden's AMoLaD album. It's another good piece of musicianship by Maiden, but certainly not as good as other albums. I actually got bored with most of the album. Seeing it performed live was another matter - AMoLaD translated VERY well to a live stage show, and the guys in Maiden did a great job of holding my attention while they played the album in its entirety.

However, I would much rather have seen the Dance of Death tour, but they did not tour extensively in the US for that, sadly.

Superb disc. The other disc I left off, because I was sticking to Metal, was Kiko Loureiro's Universo Inverso. It's much more jazzy than No Gravity was, and for my money, it's a much better disc. Had I included it in my list, it would have been Top 5 for certain.

Zod

Superb disc. The other disc I left off, because I was sticking to Metal, was Kiko Loureiro's Universo Inverso. It's much more jazzy than No Gravity was, and for my money, it's a much better disc. Had I included it in my list, it would have been Top 5 for certain.

Zod

I'll have to check out the Kiko Loureiro disc if the opportunity presents itself; I've never heard No Gravity, either, I'm afraid.

Disillusion's Gloria album has also been growing on me quite a bit after hating it during the first several listens. I still don't think I'd include it in any top of the year album list all the same. :lol:

Ok, assuming I have the dates right:

1. Fate "V"- I've always loved this band but I never, and I mean NEVER, expected a comeback cd like this one. The exact vocal style that I love, a dozen melodic hook-laden songs and just a killer cd.

2. In Flames "Come Clarity"-This band is gold to me. I don't care if people whine about their style change or whatever. The songs are always the real deal and the melody is never forgotten. I'm not going to NOT like them because younger kids like them now.

3. Bloodbound "Nosferatu"- The shock of the year for me. I expected this cd to be a silly old school metal slab and I got something modern, melodic and just pleasant on every level.

4. House Of Lords "World Upside Down"-FINALLY the cd this band needed to make. This is the best "80s" cd made since, well, the 80s. Can't wait for the follow up!

5. Edguy "Rocket Ride"-this was more of a "grower" for me than Hellfire Club but it stands the test of time.

6. Firewind "Allegiance"-What can I say that you all don't already know?

7. Jani Lane "Back Down To One"-technically an '03 release in Europe but '06 here. Yes, this is the Warrant singer but this cd sounds nothing like Warrant. It's a modern pop/punk metalish rockish..ah, fuck it. It's a bunch of great songs by a great songwriter. Again, I won't NOT like it because he's passe' in some minds.

8. Pretty Maids "Wake Up To The Real World"- Jesus Christ, do I have to say anymore about this band around here? Can someone PLEASE go and check them out?

9. Wig Wam "Wig Wamania"- The quintessential hard rock/melodic rock band right now. They got songs like Brazil got thongs. All good, very melodic and the one band that I personally promise would shake the roof off Atlanta if they were ever invited.

10. Private Line "Evel Knievel Factor"- I love this Finnish style of metal and I happen to think it's the future of our success in the metal world. Another great cd from this rather unknown act.

11. Deathstars "Termination Bliss"- Love the songs, love the look, love the style. Manson for metalheads only with great music.

12. Cradle of Filth "Thornography"- no, I'm not 15. No, I don't understand how and why this is here. Let's just say that this may have been an even bigger shock than Bloodbound for me. I'm embarrassed to say I love this cd, but I love this cd.

13. Poisonblack "Lust Stained Despair"-Nowhere near their debut cd, but heavy and melodic enought to still squeak in ahead of the honorable mentions.

Honorable Mentions: Vengeance "Back In The Ring", Axel Rudi Pell "Mystica", Communic "Waves Of Visual Decay", Europe "Secret Society", Lacuna Coil "Karmacode", Lacrimas Profundere "Filthy Notes..", Paul Stanley "Live To Win", The Poodles "Metal Will Stand Tall", Riot "Army..", Talisman "7", Theatre of Tragedy "Storm", Ted Poley "Collateral Damage", and To/Die/For "Wounds Wide Open".

In order:
Gojira - From Mars To Sirius (best release of 06 by far)
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Amorphis - Eclipse
Amon Amarth - W/ Oden on our Side
Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
Lamb of God - Sacrament
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Enslaved - RUUN
Devin Townsend Band - Synchestra
Green Carnation - Acoustic Vs.

yes I cannot think of 13

In Flames "Come Clarity"-This band is gold to me. I don't care if people whine about their style change or whatever. The songs are always the real deal and the melody is never forgotten. I'm not going to NOT like them because younger kids like them now.

Hey, definitely don't feel the need to defend liking newer In Flames - we all like what we like. Honestly, I can't stand the musical direction since Sountrack to Your Escape but if they had stayed true to their earlier styles I would still love the band regardless of what kind of fans they have. It's all about the music. :kickass:

Jason

Heed- The Call
Bloodbound- Nosferatu
Kiuas- Reformation
Blind Guardian- A Twist In The Myth
Mercenary- The Hours That Remain
Dark Empire- Distant Tides
Tarot- Crows Fly Black
Sabation- Attero Dominatus
Dream Evil- United
Astral Doors- Astralism
Divinefire- Into A New Dimension
Hammerfall- Threshold
Persuader- When Eden Burns

All of you need to go back and relisten to Pharaoh's release, and Hammers of Misfortune's release. They both put out awesome albums.

Zod, curious what your final review of Queensryche's OMCII was.

Oh man, this album knocked me off my feet! The energy and skill is breathtaking, and that disc gets more play than many of my metal albums from '06. Truly :worship: I bought tickets to see them in March during their tour at a 500 person venue, but Rodrigo had via issues. All the stops were rescheduled except the Atlanta date. I thought I would cry with disappointment - they're supposed to be incredible live.