New Laser's Edge label contest launch

lasercd

Man Behind The Curtain
Dec 26, 2002
www.lasercd.com
I’ve had an idea in the back of my head for a number of years that I am finally bringing to fruition.

Many years ago I recognized that there are many great progressive albums that I’ve become familiar with that deserve attention but because they are obscure they don’t stand much of a chance in the market as a full blown reissue.

So here’s the deal…I am going to launch a new reissue label. The focus of the label will be on music from the 70s and 80s that has never been on CD before. The scope of the label will be anything that piques my interest that falls under the broad umbrella of progressive music. It could be symphonic rock, fusion, kosmigroov, electronic – its pretty much wide open.

The guidelines for the label will be as follows:

1. We will only work with original master tapes
2. Bob Katz will handle all mastering
3. Detailed liner notes and photos (whenever possible)
4. Packaging will feature Stoughton Printing mini-lp sleeves
5. Original artwork
6. The edition size will be limited to either 500 or 1000 copies depending on the title. We will specify the edition size at publication and not go beyond that regardless of the demand.

I have other ideas I’d like to implement if possible when we are ready to launch.

We already have settled on our first two releases (titles to be announced as soon as the ink is dry on the contracts).

Oh yeah…one other thing. They will be relatively expensive. Because of the costs involved with manufacturing such a small quantity these releases are going to be premium priced. They will only be available from select retailers and will not go through our normal distribution channels.

So here’s the thing…I’m lousy at coming up with names for a label. If I had any flair for it I wouldn’t have thought up “The Laser’s Edge” 23 year ago.

I am launching a contest to name our new reissue label. The winner will receive gratis copies of our first four releases.

The rules are pretty simple. In the interest of transparency I would like all entries to be posted online on our forum. The winner will be notified by email on Monday, April 18th. Post as many as you like. Humorous submissions are OK but it won’t bring home the bacon. Please include your email address somewhere in your post so we can contact you in the crazy chance you actually win.

I will be judge, jury, and executioner. If we don’t receive any reasonable entries I reserve the right to thumb my nose at you.

Good luck!

Ken Golden

This excited so much that I registered on Ultimate Metal Forum just to comment. This sounds great, Ken. Time to put on my thinking helmet.

Ken, as a long time fan and customer of the Laser's Edge (which isn't a bad name BTW), I had to enter this contest. So here are my ideas. All are variations.

Relix Records
Relic Records
Relics Records
Relic Rewind

You get the idea. I'd had the word relic kicking in my head lately and didn't really know why. Now I do. There you have it. :D

Rob

Hey! This is YesIwasinaRushinKS from Progressive Ears, I'm gonna copy paste all the submissions I did at PE here...

Laser Reloaded
Second Coming
Once Again Records
Second Chance
Reedicción (reissue in Spanish)
Laser Stash
Golden Bag Of Goodies
Golden Bag Of Tricks
Golden Stash or a play on the words Golden 'Stache Records
Golden Premier
K-Tunes
Pot O'Golden
Gold Digger Reissues
Golden Digger Reissues
Reincarnation
Raincarnation
Retroactive Reissues
Goldissue
Golden Vault
Laser Vault
ReIssuerance
Golden Time Machine
Blast From The Past
Laser Tag Reissues
Secret Cellar
ReGeneration Reissues
Resurgence Reissues
Atlantis Rising Reissues
Tales From Yesterday
Quantum Leap Reissues
Retrieve Reissues
Lost City
Reborn Sounds
Forgotten Legends
Sound Gems
Sonic Flashback
Coal To Diamond Reissues (vinyl is black like coal, cd's have a silverish transllucence like diamonds)
Uncle Kenny's Bag of Sonic Candy
Laser Gramophone
Son of Laser
Laser2
Unearthed Classics
Reanimation Reissues
Rescued Heritage
Lost Souls Redeemed
Sonic Redemption
Laser Redemption
Laser Lamp Reissues
Golden Heritage
Resurrectio Sonitus (Resurrected Sounds in Latin)
Gone But Not Forgotten
Golden Cellar
Private Notes
Sonic Gathering Reissues
Sonic Pantheon
Pantheon Reissues
Lost Artifacts
Lost and Found Reissues
ReDISCovery
Golden Ark Reissues
Lost Ark Reissues
Recycled Reissues
Flashback Reissues
Wally! Records
Regreso (Return in Spanish) Reissues
Reanimation Reissues

I like these-

Phoenix Records
Phoenix Transformation(s)
Phoenix Rebirth
Phoenix Awakenings
Phoenix Reincarnations
Revival Records
Reincarnation Records
Rejuvenation Records

Good luck Ken!

Aura Records (Au = chemical symbol for gold... play on your name)
Aura Masters Records
Lost Aura Records
Aurora Records

Soul Collector Records
Buy or Die Records
Dog Kennel Records (Dog Kennel is an anagram of Ken Golden)

Rob
laduca@msu.edu

Tossing in a few ones.

Retrospective Records
Illumination Records
Lantern Records
Source of Light
Flaming Cape
Resourced
Heritage Records
Stormlight

Awesome idea Ken!