New Michael Kiske/ Amanda Sommerville Video

Amanda sounds awesome as usual & It's nice to see Mr Pumpkinhead getting back into the heavier aspect of music, but I don't care for Kiske's voice on this. It doesn't grab you. Can't compare it to his past, because he has always avoided the past, so...

The entire album is great from a singing pov - Michael Kiske is in a league of his own. I can't think of many "metal" vocalists with such a wonderful voice, and Amanda Somerville sounds better than all those "fake-operatic" girls the metal scene seem to be overcrowded with.

Musically however, this is standard Magnus Karlsson material. It sounds like leftovers from an Allen/Lande or a Bob Catley or a Starbreaker or a Codex album :( I'm tired of his songwriting style - it all sounds the same.

Biggest issue with the album, and this might just be the promo version (I hope), is that Amanda's voice is always a micro-milli-second behind Kiske's voice. Sounds like an error somewhere in the mixing or mastering, but it could be just the mp3's I got from the label. Either way, it takes away some of the otherwise nice experience listening to two such fantastic singers.

c.

Musically however, this is standard Magnus Karlsson material. It sounds like leftovers from an Allen/Lande or a Bob Catley or a Starbreaker or a Codex album I'm tired of his songwriting style - it all sounds the same.

For the most part, I think you're right..... But I'd add that (personally) I LOVE his style. It's clean, simple, but utterly memorable. It's like the pop music of Euro power metal!

....and for anyone who hasn't heard "The Codex", it's a must. Possibly Mark Boals greatest work.

Who is the guitar player on that video? He looks like Sander from After Forever.

It's not bad, but nothing special. Euro-pop-metal. Meh. Though I do agree that they both sound awesome vocally.

If it sounds like standard Karlsson, it's not for lack of trying on the part of Frontiers. there were other writers on the project, like that dude from After Forever and Mat Sinner.

Musically however, this is standard Magnus Karlsson material. It sounds like leftovers from an Allen/Lande or a Bob Catley or a Starbreaker or a Codex album :( I'm tired of his songwriting style - it all sounds the same.

(sigh) as much as I LOVE Magnus as a songwritter and guitarist... I have to agree 100% with you. I think he is spreading himself to thin with all these studio projects. I was completely content with Last Tribe... I wish he'd just concentrate on that band again for a while. Then again... I guess all these bands are basicly Last Tribe with a different variation of singers. :D

i love it...

but that video is retarded.. I mean the director.. why on earth does Kiske NEVER move? why is he sitting? it makes no sense from any kind of directorial logic

i can get him maybe sitting at the beginning but it just looks really awkward throughout the video. Like kiske is just tired or something hahah

The entire album is great from a singing pov - Michael Kiske is in a league of his own. I can't think of many "metal" vocalists with such a wonderful voice, and Amanda Somerville sounds better than all those "fake-operatic" girls the metal scene seem to be overcrowded with.
c.

I'd love to hear your opinion on who are the "fake operatic" girls in the scene and who are the true ones. I was actually thinking about that just the other day.

I'd love to hear your opinion on who are the "fake operatic" girls in the scene and who are the true ones. I was actually thinking about that just the other day.

I can't stand Epica, After Forever and that stuff - all the bands sound the same in that style ... I was thrilled when Epica had Amanda filling in for Simone on the SymX tour and I was pretty excited when Nightwish got rid of that "I've taken two classes in opera singing so that makes me a pro opera singer" Tarja.
There's something about that way of singing that just annoys me - it seems so forced. Amanda has a beautiful voice and she uses it perfectly. Can't say the same about the others.

I can't stand Epica, After Forever and that stuff - all the bands sound the same in that style ... I was thrilled when Epica had Amanda filling in for Simone on the SymX tour and I was pretty excited when Nightwish got rid of that "I've taken two classes in opera singing so that makes me a pro opera singer" Tarja.
There's something about that way of singing that just annoys me - it seems so forced. Amanda has a beautiful voice and she uses it perfectly. Can't say the same about the others.

I'm curious, Claus. Do you think the same for the female vocalists in Therion?

The thing I liked about Floor Jansen, at least towards the end of After Forever as I never did pick up much on their earlier stuff, was that she was not really doing the pseudo-operatic thing. I guess it would appear here and there, but she was actually doing a lot of belting out and I thought she was rather good at it.

i love it...

but that video is retarded.. I mean the director.. why on earth does Kiske NEVER move? why is he sitting? it makes no sense from any kind of directorial logic

i can get him maybe sitting at the beginning but it just looks really awkward throughout the video. Like kiske is just tired or something hahah

Yeah, is he crippled or something? And it makes Amanda by comparison seem like a hyperactive weirdo, with all her turning about and gesticulating. :lol:

It occurred to me that Frontiers Records is trying to become the Motown of the hard rock world. Like Motown, they've got the same talented group of writers and studio musicians working on most of the projects. It's almost like Frontiers is a band in itself, just switching the roster around to get different combinations. And it's all cool, too. I'm still not tired of Magnus Karlsson, Daniel Flores, Jim Peterik, and Erik Martensson.