New Radiohead- not about the music per se..

Angrafan

Feb 26, 2002
South Florida
Visit site
What do you guys think of the way they are releasing their new album?
They are totally independent from any record company... they just made their disc available on their website and people can get it for free! You pay whatever you feel like paying! I paid 8 bucks for it, but I could have had it for free...

you can also purchase a "disk box", which comes with the album, an extra CD of unreleased material, 2 LP, booklet, etc... but it's more than 80 bucks!

I wish they'd have something in between.. I'd love to actually have the album, with a booklet, etc.. but I don't really want to pay 80 bucks for the box set....

The music is absolutely amazing, though! Probably my favorite CD of 07 so far... Worth checking it out! It's free! :)

I think its an interesting "experiment" they're conducting, but the problem is that they can only do this because they have established themselves already. There are alot of idiots out there who (and I say this because there was an article I read the other day about it) think music is "free" as some sort of nonsensical civil right and that Radiohead is doing what all bands should do. Radiohead has made alot of money by touring and I'm sure also with album sales, and that's the only reason they can do this right now. That said, the music is their property, they can do whatever they want with it. I just wish they wouldn't encourage idiots.

An interesting concept, indeed. However, I've been reading a lot of praise online for what Radiohead is doing. While I'll agree it's nice that someone who can't afford it can get it for free, I'm sure Radiohead won't be missing any meals by doing so. And hey, since it's free(potentially), I might actually give it a listen.

With the exception a few tracks off Kid A, I've hated everything they've done in recent years. My favorite album being Pablo Honey, with The Bends a close second.

According to a local paper that wrote up about this, there will be a traditional CD package release, but not for about two more months (I guess they want to see how this does first).