next year's fest date/hotel situation?

booB

Señor Member
Mar 25, 2003
Cleveland, OH USA
As you all know, Glenn is announcing next year's fest date this week. However, the Granada will not be operational, the RI (like many hotels) apparently doesn't book rooms a year in advance, and we have no way of knowing this far in advance how much rooms are going to cost or what's going to be available, based on all the renovations and such happening. For those of you who normally book your room as soon as the date is announced, what do you plan on doing this year, when the announcement is made?

I'll likely go with the Marriott Suites again.

If you have friends or relatives working for any Marriott anywhere, you can take advantage of the friends and family rate. All you need to do is get your friend/family member to send you a little form letter, which you show at check-in.

I'll likely go with the Marriott Suites again.

If you have friends or relatives working for any Marriott anywhere, you can take advantage of the friends and family rate. All you need to do is get your friend/family member to send you a little form letter, which you show at check-in.

I was considering that place. A friend of mine stayed there once, and said it was nicely-priced for a midtown suite, and next to the RI it's probably going to be the closest place to the venue. If I could get some people together and get a suite there, that would be great.

EDIT: heh... $269/night appears to be their cheapest rate, and that's for one bed. I don't know if that's "nicely priced" or not.

Book it the moment they allow it ;). I'm trying to decide on what I want to do next year. I liked staying downtown only because 5-6 blocks south (or one marta stop) was Georgia State University and an area full of places to eat (though sadly most were closed on Saturday afternoon) including a 24 hour diner. However. I also hate having to carry around a bag full of purchases an entire night and not having time to go back to the hotel to drop everything off. On the otherhand, with the prices of hotels close to the venue, I'll have less money for purchases.
The condo that some people rented sounded like it was a blast so if enough people would be interested in that, it'd be a good choice. And since there would be a car involved with that, purchases could always be dropped off in the car.

I was considering that place. A friend of mine stayed there once, and said it was nicely-priced for a midtown suite, and next to the RI it's probably going to be the closest place to the venue. If I could get some people together and get a suite there, that would be great.

Yeah... Even without the discount it is fairly reasonable. They also have a bar/restaurant and a very nice indoor/outdoor pool. It is very clean and the suite is a decent size.

Well, I assume that many GB holders view(ed) the Granada an ideal spot based on proximity to venue and the bands who stay there. So I wonder if Glenn has someplace in mind that will essentially be assuming the role of the Granada next year? If so, will we be getting that info via email with the festival dates for next year? Currently, I'd say hotel arrangements are up in the air until more info is revealed.

Avoid the Super 8. That place sucked. I was afraid I was going to die on the stairs near the office every time I used them. And honestly, cockroaches and ants aren't very considerate roommates.

How much does it cost to stay at the Mariott, and how close is it to the venue?

Marriott Suites or Marriott Courtyard... which one is down Peachtree and to the right? I spent some time there Saturday night and I liked it. I didn't go to other one (down Peachtree and to the left) but it looked like a lot of folks stayed there as well. Was it nice? Can anyone compare it, or the Inn at Peachtrees, to the Residence Inn? I'm sold on the RI because of the all-night parties on the front patio and it's prime location, but I bet I can be swayed with an equally awesome hotel at a cheaper rate just a little further away.

The Suites are at W. Peachtree and 14th, about a block from where the Hampton Inn was. The Courtyard is farther down 14th, past the freeway, and behind where the Chinese Buddha used to be.

Also, keep in mind that there's also the Sheraton, which is on 14th right by Houlihan's... it's getting more and more expensive as well, but I think it's roughly comparable, cost-wise, to the RI. I believe most of those other hotels are pretty expensive, and probably not too metal-party friendly. ;)

Marriott Suites or Marriott Courtyard... which one is down Peachtree and to the right? I spent some time there Saturday night and I liked it. I didn't go to other one (down Peachtree and to the left) but it looked like a lot of folks stayed there as well. Was it nice? Can anyone compare it, or the Inn at Peachtrees, to the Residence Inn? I'm sold on the RI because of the all-night parties on the front patio and it's prime location, but I bet I can be swayed with an equally awesome hotel at a cheaper rate just a little further away.

The part where they apparently will take your shopping list and purchase everything on it down at the Publix for no extra charge (though I'd be inclined to tip) is also one hell of a perk at RI.

The part where they apparently will take your shopping list and purchase everything on it down at the Publix for no extra charge (though I'd be inclined to tip) is also one hell of a perk at RI.
Are you serious?? Had I known that, could have saved me a lot of headaches over the weekend! That's one helluva perk, imo!

Are you serious?? Had I known that, could have saved me a lot of headaches over the weekend! That's one helluva perk, imo!

That's according to one of the few people staying at the RI who was hanging out in the courtyard Saturday night/Sunday morning. But yeah, that's pretty awesome considering my want of food Sat night was what made me miss Firewind. And then I didn't even go back to my hotel until around 8 am.

So what exactly is going on with the Residence that makes this year different from any other? I understand the Granada is going through renovations, but not sure what's happening at the RI.

EDIT: heh... $269/night appears to be their cheapest rate, and that's for one bed. I don't know if that's "nicely priced" or not.

i got my rooms for $169 a night, but booked quite a while ahead of time.

they mixed my shit up at first, but that got quickly fixed.

the actual stay was great though, the employees treated me very very good.