NIGHTWISH: Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Best song so that I've heard far off the Album...., less "disney" sound........ on a side note, I've read Richard Dawkin's books and Dawkins comes across as an arrogant douche, BUT I won't let that bother me from enjoying the album,....everyone has an "opinion" on the theory of existence, even Dawkins.....

Richard Dawkins peaked my interest in this release if only just for his beliefs. I've read 5 or 6 of his books, and though he does come across as an arrogant asshole at times, he's still an interesting read.
Personally I think that this is better than Nightwish V2.0, but I also have a belief that they may have peaked at Wishmaster with Century Child shortly behind it.
It's nice to hear Floor though, she has a great voice for this and was the perfect choice for Nightwish V 3.0.
I will probably wander up to Best Buy for this the day it comes out just because it does offer some hope for fans of the Tarja era.

This album is really really good. I kinda wondered where they could/would go after Imagenarium, and after hearing this album it seems like a natural progression. While Floor is as amazing as I thought she would be, musically this album is very very strong.

This album is really really good. I kinda wondered where they could/would go after Imagenarium, and after hearing this album it seems like a natural progression. While Floor is as amazing as I thought she would be, musically this album is very very strong.

Can you please elaborate what criteria you used to come to the conclusion that the album is musically strong?

Can you please elaborate what criteria you used to come to the conclusion that the album is musically strong?

Well, I ended up using a Hines-Freihart 72 point scale that factors in things like meter, tone, notes per minute, and chord complexity ;)

No, it is just that I thought that on the last couple releases the guitars were de-emphasized a lot, where with this album I notice myself really bobbing my head to many of the riffs. Also I think orchestration has always been their strong point, but there are just many moments musically that I really enjoy. Not making an objective statement of fact, just saying on a release where I thought all my attention would be focused on Floor, I am enjoying the music a lot.

Oh, are we that kind of forum now? One that treats people expressing an opinion as presenting fact?

I was polite. I didn't say anywhere that I thought his opinion was being presented as fact, nor did I even imply it. I was simply asking how he came to the conclusion he did; how he formed his opinion so that I can understand what he might be hearing that I haven't. You know, to gain a new perspective on the music and enjoy it more.

I didn't know you were that kind of person, one that could so easily misread a simple, honest question.

I have heard 3 songs off the album so far, 2 of which were about on par with the band's output since 2007 (de-emphasized guitars and liberally applied orchestration) and one that was a bit punchier (flashy guitar/keyboard solo trade-offs indicative of early albums). Excuse me for being curious.

I tried to be as clear as possible about the information I was looking to get.

Keir gives it 10/10 :)

I know I am one of a small minority who love Imaginaerum but even I admit that was a very flawed album. Endless Forms Most Beautiful is just wonderful from start to finish. My only complaint is that there's too much talking in the last song (but thankfully much less than in Song Of Myself!)

Keir gives it 10/10 :)

I know I am one of a small minority who love Imaginaerum but even I admit that was a very flawed album.

I agree with you. It was a very enjoyable album, and there were some really good Nightwish "classics" to come out of it. They'll be in town with Sabaton in May. :loco:

I've listened to it a couple of times since last night, and while there are a few tunes that really stand out as AMAZING, most of it kinda follows the template that was set over the last album or two. There's a sameness to a lot of the songs that is starting to concern me. Also, I'm kinda disappointed how low Floor's vocals are in the mix....with a singer of her quality, they really should be pushing her forward. I was also hoping that the songs would let her rip it up, but it's not until "The Greatest Show On Earth" (the last song....sigh) where she really throws down and shows her true power. I do look forward to seeing them live...hopefully!

I was also hoping that the songs would let her rip it up, but it's not until "The Greatest Show On Earth" (the last song....sigh) where she really throws down and shows her true power.

Totally agree here. To borrow a phrase from Spinal Tap, Floor’s voice “goes to 11” – but you never really get a sense of that with this CD. There are a few moments where we come close to hearing her true potential (including “The Greatest Show on Earth” and last part of “Our Decades in the Sun”), but I kept expecting to hear hear her at full power – something along the lines of “Digital Deceit” or “Under my Skin”.

I was also surprised that Floor didn’t get any writing credit. She contributed with After Forever, and I believe did all the writing for ReVamp. Makes me wonder if some of these tracks were left over from Imaginareum.

On the plus side, I *love* the symphonic stuff, so was really happy that Nightwish kept this element, as I had read a while ago that they were going to tone it down. Bring on the bombast! :headbang:

Edit: I noticed that the CD was mixed in December and mastered in January for a March release. Isn't that pretty fast for a major worldwide release?

I've been though it about 10-12 times now....while I like it quite a bit, the ending IMO is pretty week. To wind down the cd with track 9. The Eyes of Sharbat Gula, which to me should be movie score, then to finish off with track 10. The Greatest Show on Earth, that starts off with a 5-6 minute intro, then the meat of the song is pretty good, then to finish off with another boring closing with a speach.....Other than that, pretty solid release.

I am really liking this album a lot. I have gotten a ton of mileage from it already. While some other albums this year have faded very quickly for me (Angra, Eclipse), this one seems like it has some staying power.

I've been though it about 10-12 times now....while I like it quite a bit, the ending IMO is pretty week. To wind down the cd with track 9. The Eyes of Sharbat Gula, which to me should be movie score, then to finish off with track 10. The Greatest Show on Earth, that starts off with a 5-6 minute intro, then the meat of the song is pretty good, then to finish off with another boring closing with a speach.....Other than that, pretty solid release.

I think your nuts. Every time I listen to Greatest Show on Earth, I can't help but think it would have been a perfect closer to the Ayreon project.