Official Electronic Music Topic

Prodigy, Royksopp, Justice, Chemical Brothers, Tiesto?!
What a horrible page.
I shouldn't be suprised metal fans have terrible taste in EDM, but I do find it funny you can blast pop music but not see the irony of being a fan of some of these.

I'm well aware that those groups are mega popular, but I don't prescribe to the belief that if most people like it, and it sells millions of records, it must suck.

I think it's a little funny that most of the groups you recommended are super underground, not trying to criticize, just saying I think a lot of people in the metal community are obsessed by this idea that big = sellout, underground w/ tiny fanbase = quality.

I'm well aware that those groups are mega popular, but I don't prescribe to the belief that if most people like it, and it sells millions of records, it must suck.

I think it's a little funny that most of the groups you recommended are super underground, not trying to criticize, just saying I think a lot of people in the metal community are obsessed by this idea that big = sellout, underground w/ tiny fanbase = quality.

I don't prescribe to this theory at all either, I'm a fan of Radiohead, Coldplay, Arcade Fire etc. but in electronic music the more popular artists are generally extremely tacky, appealing to people fucked off their face or brand new to the genre. They put a lot of work into their music (as an electronic music producer myself I realise that) but they're not doing anything with any real depth or intensity, which is what i consider the real test of quality in electronic music.

Also in specific electronic genre circles many of the artists I mention are some of the most popular still releasing music (Luke Vibert, Ochre, Vaski for example), I understand what you're trying to say and this approach to music annoys me as much as anyone else and it just strikes me that if people explored the specific sub genres mentioned here they could see how much more there is on offer.

Ew Radiohead and Coldplay fan? I bet you like Paramore too. I don't understand all the hype of those bands, I just honestly haven't been able to get into them.

From what I heard of Arcade Fire, I guess you can call me a fan of them.

Prodigy, Royksopp, Justice, Chemical Brothers, Tiesto?!
What a horrible page.
I shouldn't be suprised metal fans have terrible taste in EDM, but I do find it funny you can blast pop music but not see the irony of being a fan of some of these.

Tiesto has some nice stuff but now hes very meh just like Armin and Paul.

Prodigy and Chemical Brothers are decent to say the least.

Justice and Royskopp I didn't bother checking out.

Not my favourite area of noise, but these are as good a starting point as any:

Tik /// Tik
Realicide
Fuck Telecorps
Moth Drakula
Brighter Death Now
Stegm
Macronymphia
Deathroes
Princess Dragonmum
Ahlzagailzehguh
Cathode Terror Secretion
Sewer Election
Sickness
Incapacitants
Guilty Connector
Scum Earth
Taskmaster
Grunt
Xdugef
Sutcliff Jugend
Kakerlak
Edwige
Vankmen
Moment Trigger
Werewolf Jerusalem
Xome

and of course our very own VVVVV's Ichorous
I don't know if he ever checks this board, but he'd be your best bet for power noise recs, maybe send him a PM

Btw Killbot, I looked back on the powernoise recs. They sound nothing like what I put down. I think your refering to Harsh noise. But cool stuff none the less, I'm thinking of digging into it more.

Also I'm gona look back on the Drum N Bass artists you put down, I think you jotted a whole lot. I'm not into that Technicerbation stuff though :p (A good example will be most of the songs Aphex Twin did.) I mean I think that stuff is real cool, I just dig a convincing melody that really gets to me.

Never got into it... but do like Depeche Mode lately if you consider that in this genre... I guess because they incorporate rock elements in it... they been playing Enjoy the Silence alot on the radio lately and I love that song... also I like Prodigy...

Never got into it... but do like Depeche Mode lately if you consider that in this genre... I guess because they incorporate rock elements in it... they been playing Enjoy the Silence alot on the radio lately and I love that song... also I like Prodigy... :)

Killbot - Dya like Boards of Canada?

Very much so, they're where I started out with IDM and still one of my favourites.

Btw Killbot, I looked back on the powernoise recs. They sound nothing like what I put down. I think your refering to Harsh noise. But cool stuff none the less, I'm thinking of digging into it more.

Also I'm gona look back on the Drum N Bass artists you put down, I think you jotted a whole lot. I'm not into that Technicerbation stuff though :p (A good example will be most of the songs Aphex Twin did.) I mean I think that stuff is real cool, I just dig a convincing melody that really gets to me.

ah sorry, it is harsh noise yeah, some people seem to describe it as powerelectronics as well. I know very little about the industrialised genre you wanted recs for.

My drum and bass taste has developed quite a lot since then, it's weird, I started with some of the more experimental artists and have worked my way more mainstream. Can't stand liquid, but jump-up dnb hits the spot.

First time posting in this thread. I don't listen to a lot of electronic music, but I'm a pretty big fan of Faithless (or at least of their albums Outrospective and No Roots). Are they typically considered electronic?

Considering this is a metal forum, some of you might appreciate a bloke operating under the name of Zardonic. He mixes jump-up / hard drum and bass with metal and does a pretty good job of it. He mixes with other genres too and has some original tracks, but they're are not particularly good imo. I prefer to just listen to jump up or metal by individually, but all credit to him considering how terrible it could be if not handled with some degree of skill. Chooses some pretty decent tracks to mix as well:

Also found this in my brief search to see if anyone else had given this combo a go:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't prescribe to this theory at all either, I'm a fan of Radiohead, Coldplay, Arcade Fire etc. but in electronic music the more popular artists are generally extremely tacky, appealing to people fucked off their face or brand new to the genre. They put a lot of work into their music (as an electronic music producer myself I realise that) but they're not doing anything with any real depth or intensity, which is what i consider the real test of quality in electronic music.

I'm still curious, do you actually consider the Chemical Brothers to be shallow party music? That description may apply to their later works, but their first two albums are absolute masterpieces, and although I'm not a huge IDM listener I have yet to hear another IDM album I could consider on par with Dig Your Own Hole.

Also in specific electronic genre circles many of the artists I mention are some of the most popular still releasing music (Luke Vibert, Ochre, Vaski for example), I understand what you're trying to say and this approach to music annoys me as much as anyone else and it just strikes me that if people explored the specific sub genres mentioned here they could see how much more there is on offer.
Fair enough. I'll grant that I'm a newbie to the genre. I too love Coldplay and Radiohead ;). Really don't understand the hate Coldplay gets (most metalheads seem to at least acknowledge Radiohead)

But still... songs like Tiesto's mix of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings I think are pretty damn incredible. About as intense as it gets IMO.

I'm not sure what the policy on discussing dr00gz on here is, but I listened to that song (album quality of course not some shitty youtube vid) for 3 hours in the peak of an acid trip and it was the most beautiful and powerful moment of my life. Completely indescribable really, so I won't even bother.

I mean c'mon! :headbang:

I quite like that Traffic song as well.

Last edited by a moderator: