circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Olympos Mons – Conquistador
Limb Music Products – October 11th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

cover_250x250_CC.jpg

First of all, why is there a futuristic, astronaut conquistador on the cover? And, what the hell is going on in the cover art anyway? Oh well, forget I asked. In what is essentially the first full-length in this day’s power metal review session, Olympos Mons have botched an attempt at overwhelming competence, but they haven’t written themselves off just yet.

“Seven Seas” is a happy tune that features atypical instrumentation, which could feasibly be the product of an adept synthesizer. “Stars,” at the 0:45 minute mark, uses a distinct Dream Theater riff and rhythm. “The Last Light of the Moon” is next, and confidence radiates off the spiraling guitar leads, double-bass thunderclaps, and strategically placed keyboards. The guitar tones, though, are pervaded by an abundant amount of static, which lowers the enjoyment factor. The 2:20 minute mark will grab you and hold on as the vocalist reaches his highest range. “Wanted Man” begins frantically, and is juxtaposed with the organ-laced introduction to “Black.” “Through the Ice and Snow” is tinged with a Renaissance feel, “Black Desiree,” and “Cleopatra” chase. “The Princess of Saba” conjures images of Symphony X, circa V (“Egypt” to be precise). “Lady in White,” however, is overtly lofty and emits some of the best things we’ve heard from Olympos Mons yet. The title track – “Conquistador” – at a whopping eleven minutes eclipses everything in length, and subsequently ends the record.

As I iterated previously, Conquistador is by no means a fantastic release that’ll leave you spellbound. Look for Olympos Mons in a couple years and you may hear a very different band. Hopefully, they’ll have improved significantly; they show both promise and drive.

7/10

Official Olympos Mons website
Official Limb Music Products website

...and yet, this record is one of the most fun releases in recent years

sure, they may seem to be just one of a thousand power metal bands...but to me they sounds somewhat unique; even though they add something special to their music...i don't wanna claim that they released a revolutionary album
but everything just fits in perfectly: for example, there's power in the guitars...but it's not produced in a way that it blows you away the first time you listen to it...and then you get bored by it rather soon...