oooh DragonCon has metal!

Cruxshadows a 'morose' goth band? Uh, not in any universe I'm aware of. Certainly not nowadays.

He's a consummate performer, even solo.
His full band performance, if it matches their last time (5? 6 years ago?), should be terrific.
That year, The Misfits played D*C, but in the words of my roommate Tim, "Voltaire was better than The Misfits!" --This was coming from someone who was leaving with Misfits to go on tour with them as a tech the following day!

Buy a Saturday badge, then. That's the night Vainglory and TDD are performing. Get there early enough on Saturday morning to watch the parade. 1400+ participants and 42+ vehicles, as of this morning. :)

How much, about, is a one day badge? I can't afford all 4 days what with having to save for PPUSA, PPScandinavia (hopefully)/The Winter Ball and going to NY in December to see Magic Worlds, I can't afford to get a 4 day badge, or go for more than one day.

Buy a Saturday badge, then. That's the night Vainglory and TDD are performing. Get there early enough on Saturday morning to watch the parade. 1400+ participants and 42+ vehicles, as of this morning. :)

Are Stolen Babies playing then as well?

Caex, a one-day badge is typically about $30. There will also be two-day badges available, etc. $30 isn't bad, if you get there early. There is a lot of stuff to see and do and buy.

Here's the band lineup, probably set in Quikcrete at this time. :heh:

Thursday
Regency Ballroom:
10pm -- 3/4 Ale, Lost Boys, Emerald Rose

Centennial Ballroom:
9pm -- Cemetary Surfers
10:30 -- Haloscript

Friday
Regency Ballroom:
12 midnight -- Luchagors, Bella Morte

Centennial:
12 midnght -- The Goodies, Voltaire (full band)

Saturday
Regency Ballroom
10:30pm -- Ghoultown (replacing Stolen Babies), The Last Dance

Centennial Ballroom
11:30pm -- Vainglory, Twisted Tower Dire

Sunday
Regency Ballroom
12 midnight -- Serpenteens, Calabrese

Centennial Ballroom
12 midnight -- The Cruxshadows

It should be possible to see Stolen Babies and TDD on the same night, but maybe not Vainglory.

Um. Saying Stolen Babies is far from metal shows some ignorance and perhaps closed mindedness. Metal can mean a lot of things... other than clones of the 70s and 80s 'heavy metal' bands.

Um. Saying Stolen Babies is far from metal shows some ignorance and perhaps closed mindedness.

I see your point in general and I actually agree with it. I even consider stuff like nu-metal and metalcore to be heavy metal, it's just by and large heavy metal that I happen to not like.

But while Stolen Babies has elements of metal in their sound, there are too many other elements that keep them from being what I consider "heavy metal." And those elements are more dominant than the metal aspects. I don't care what they fall under, I am just really, really excited about them playing at DragonCon this year.

Anything that gets called 'avant-garde' makes it hard to classify further. I didn't mean my post to be so antagonistic. Thing timed out on me on an edit. No biggy. But yeah classifications don't matter that much I guess, but I do feel that Stolen Babies has a bit of metal. I just can't call them straight out rock. But I guess I also would put SGM in the metal arena.

I didn't mean my post to be so antagonistic.

I didn't see it in that way at all. And I do agree, I find it funny when people argue about what is and isn't "metal," considering bands like Grand Funk Railroad and Foghat have at various times been considered "metal." But in regards to Stolen Babies, I can't really call them metal as the non-metal elements seem to dominate. I do think "avant-garde" is less a genre than an adjective.

VGDragon.con.jpg

Cool poster! Hang a few extra in the Gaming area. :heh:

Stolen Babies' reason for cancelling was a very good one, incidentally.

They are being replaced by Ghoultown, making their triumphant return to Dragon*Con after several years' hiatus. Their last show before going on hiatus was at D*C several years ago, a very special show for us.

Lyle, ex-Solitude Aeturnus, is Ghoultown's main man. :headbang:

EDIT: at last report, they are simply swapping slots in the schedule, so they'll be playing before The Last Dance.

oh, that means I can bring Halcyon Way with me, right? :heh:

Shameless plug there ay.
When we first start to pitch Twisted Tower Dire for this gig we wanted a band with hooks and who were just pure straight up the irons heavy metal. Well that is what TTD are. They have hooks and anthems, sing along chorus, all was there. Alot of other bands just don't have these qualities. And not having costumed gimmicks we thought that something would have to make up for it.
This was not a bias option when we decided on this band. But death or black metal, or a Dream Theater wannbe would not have been an easy of a sell. Just look at the overall idea here, and what better than true heavy metal in the Maiden fashion?

Well, the Cruxshadows for one. But I guess they're the house band. At least Voltron...sorry, Voltaire has a sense of humor.

Look, I'll be a 1-day attendee this year. I'm just not into the whole sci-fi/fantasy thing enough to buy a full pass. I will, however, drop my hard-earned on a day pass if it means a night of metal.

I remember the first year I saw The Cruxshadows there (might I add was about 20 heads at most)). The simger starts jumping from table to table top shouting “I am Prometheus”. Then a voice in the background mocking of course says “I am Pretentieus. Well that kind of said it all.

I forget his jolly pirate nickname, I call them a;; Todd) SNL refrence there boys and girls.

Actually I do have one CD that is not that bad. But it does all sound the same. Hard to tell one track from the other. But I am sure they have progressed. Um, can I use that word when not referring to Dream Theater here? Right, I’m speaking of progressing. Yes I would look more into the spooky gaggle Cruxshadows. But most of those bands tend to lean more dancy as they go on. As if they are a bunch of vampiric Donna Summers or something. Maybe they could have had disco hit in the 70s. I’m thinking ‘Count Disco Duckula’.
The live Cruxshadow pics on their MySpace makes me think of Madonna's "Girlie Show"
I think I will listen to them now, haven't pulled out that disc in years. Maybe there is good reason can't remember. Apparently nothing memorible. But I do seem to regard a lot of a Petshop Boys sound.

I for one am very happy to see DragonCon getting on board with the METAL, especially with a band as good as Twisted Tower Dire (love their new singer, by the way). I've skipped the past several DCons because I just wasn't interested in seeing the same morose goth bands year after year, but I am definitely on board this year!

Kudos to Heaven & Hell for bringing the METAL this year! Let's start moving the focus from pouting and eyeliner to swords and axes!

Well thank you Sir and we hope to see you there.

In regards to Cruxshadows: I think you're missing the point. They draw a crowd. Simple as that. It's not that everyone in the DragonCon hierarchy loves them. It's that they draw massive crowds. Don't ask me to explain it. All I know is that they do, and DragonCon wants to meet those fans needs.

People seem to have an idea that playing at DragonCon ensures an audience when it doesn't. It's not like all the attendees are trapped in one of the two rooms where bands are playing. People have a choice to see the bands, and Cruxshadows consistently draw bigger and bigger crowds every year. If people didn't want to see them, they wouldn't.

This is not even a taste issue; while I enjoy their live shows, even my tastes in gothic music run more towards Bauhaus and Joy Division. I'm not much up on the "dancey" style darkwave. But a lot of the people who go to DragonCon are into that.

Good luck on getting metal some play at DragonCon. I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Halcyon Way performing some year. Very cool guys and entertaining shows.

Cruxshadows is a fairly big band in the club scene. Voltaire to a point too.

Personally, I think that Cruxshadows is awesome.