oooh DragonCon has metal!

Cruxshadows is a fairly big band in the club scene. Voltaire to a point too.

Personally, I think that Cruxshadows is awesome.

Actually, I enjoy Voltaire (Voltron). I actually saw him a few weeks ago at a small club up here. I do recall his first performance at DragonCon. Actually, the day we all arrived at the convention, I was setting up my table right down the aisle from him. We talked and hung out a great deal. Then, he was virtually unknown. Two days later, all the spooky kids were swarming around him like rabid bats. However, he does belong at the convention and I look forward to seeing him again.

Voltaire is a consummate performer, who can hold an entire ballroom spellbound with nothing more than a mic and his guitar. Jeremy, I'm glad that you think he belongs at the convention....inasmuch as he's saved D*C's bacon more than once. (The infamous "Rowdy" Roddy Piper incident comes to mind....)

As for Cruxshadows, they have for a frontman one of the best in the business, whose wireless headset mic gives him absolute free reign over any venue thay play, whether it's out in the audience, climbing on tables or podiums, or ascending the scaffolding. The segment in the Shadowbox DVD where Rogue climbs impossibly high above the stage, with no rope or safety harness, gives me the shivers every time I see it. That might have been the same big festival show where they outdrew Therion; I'll have to ask them.

He is one of the most recognizeable and -- as Ruthven can confirm -- one of the legitimately nicest people you'll ever meet. I'm proud to call Rogue and Voltaire friends o' mine.

Voltaire is a consummate performer, who can hold an entire ballroom spellbound with nothing more than a mic and his guitar. Jeremy, I'm glad that you think he belongs at the convention....inasmuch as he's saved D*C's bacon more than once. (The infamous "Rowdy" Roddy Piper incident comes to mind....)
Can't say I know about that one. But my ears are open, it sounds interesting.

As for Cruxshadows, they have for a frontman one of the best in the business, whose wireless headset mic gives him absolute free reign over any venue thay play, whether it's out in the audience, climbing on tables or podiums, or ascending the scaffolding. The segment in the Shadowbox DVD where Rogue climbs impossibly high above the stage, with no rope or safety harness, gives me the shivers every time I see it. That might have been the same big festival show where they outdrew Therion; I'll have to ask them.

He is one of the most recognizeable and -- as Ruthven can confirm -- one of the legitimately nicest people you'll ever meet. I'm proud to call Rogue and Voltaire friends o' mine.

I have meet both actually Rogue seemed like an ok guy. Still somewhat short in the way only goths can pull off. But it may have just been the timing. I was actually listening to them today. It made me think of all that great 80s stuff you hear in Kinkos. Ya know the songs from all the cool Euro 80s bands that were never played on the radio. Like every song by Gary Numan besides 'Cars'. It's not really bad stuff at all. Still it could be pulled apart like anything else I suppose. I'm actually going to pick up a couple of more of their CDs while I'm down there.

Voltaire is a really nice guy...funny too.
I spoke to him a few weeks ago about booking a date up here. He said I should not book him with metal bands cause they will throw things at him. It was funny the way he put it. But honestly I would know what to do with him I think.
His set that night was funny as hell of course. It is amazing how that guy can use anything happening around him and work it into his set.

Question for Heaven and Hell Records...

How many titles are you planning on bringing for your booth? Any kind of ball park figure would be great to know!

At this year’s Dragon Con. Heaven and Hell Records joined by Exploding Ned’s Tine will have three exhibitor booths in the Grand Salon Ballroom located in the Hiltom.
There will be a large selection of Cds, DVDs, shirts, buttons, and whatever else we decide to bring. Maybe even candy. Including all types metal spanning across the board from traditional, death, black, prog, power, and everything else.
And we will not leave out the non-metal fan either. There will also be a nice selection of prog, psychedelic, punk, goth, new wave, and more. Maybe even Gershwin.

Mike Potorff is awesome. It will be good to see my bud in a couple of weeks...even if I won't be able to stay at his booth as long as at the record shows!

Mike Potorff is awesome. It will be good to see my bud in a couple of weeks...even if I won't be able to stay at his booth as long as at the record shows!

+1

In fact, I was thinking the same thing only yesterday. "Cool, Exploding Ned's will be there......but I probably won't be able to hang out and shoot the shit with Mike for two hours like I usually do at Atl. Record Show." :lol:

The "Rowdy" Roddy Piper Incident:

Keep in mind that RRP is a wrestler who was presumably, uh, rowdy. He was a guest at Dragon*Con a few years ago, and was tapped to be the host/emcee for the Dawn Look-a-Like Contest...basically, a bunch of hopefully cute chicks dressed (often vaguely) like the comicbook character Dawn from Michael Linsner. Okay so far......

...except that somewhere along the line, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper............wait for it...................Got Religion. And declined to host anything that resembled 'smut' in his eyes.

I get a phone call from the Powers That Be.
"Paul, find Voltaire!"
"Uh, he's away from his table...."
"FIND HIM!"

So, Voltaire ended up hosting/emceeing the Dawn contest with maybe a half-hour's warning. That's the sort of kind deed that TPTB remember for years. :worship:

Oh, well that was cool of him to pick up the ball. But it was made to sound like Piper beat up Vo;taire or something. So I'm disappointed.
What is it with wrestlers find "GOD" (add southern evangelical voice). It seems like they all do. Dragon Con is not the place for "GOD" (insert).
Yes, I'm very familar with Dawn. Linsner did a kick ass poryait of one of my ex-girls friends many years ago. I was actually considering a tattoo of the halo from the books too.

Anyone else planning to attend Dragon*Con?

I’ll be there probably Sat/Sun/Mon

www.dragoncon.org

here are the listed prices:

4 days (Fri. – Mon.) $85
Friday Only: $30
Saturday Only: $40
Sunday Only: $30
Monday Only: $25
2 day (Sunday, Monday): $50
3 day (Saturday, Sunday, Monday): $70
Pre-registration for 2008: $45

John ‘Kong’ Bunucci – Overlorde bassist – will be in attendance on Saturday.

and as noted already - Twisted Tower Dire and Vainglory will be on stage Saturday night.

Exploding Mike took several hundred dollars from me this weekend at a record show in Birmingham.... i gotta skip DC just to make $$ for PP

And continuing the Cruxshadows issue. sure, give ANYONE a wireless mike and they are all over the place 'commanding the stage' whoopie. i think they are a tired old 'goth' band. playing to a bunch of tired old goths.

Exploding Mike took several hundred dollars from me this weekend at a record show in Birmingham.... i gotta skip DC just to make $$ for PP

And continuing the Cruxshadows issue. sure, give ANYONE a wireless mike and they are all over the place 'commanding the stage' whoopie. i think they are a tired old 'goth' band. playing to a bunch of tired old goths.

You couldn't be more wrong, but....nevermind. You're not coming anyway. :lol:

sure, give ANYONE a wireless mike and they are all over the place 'commanding the stage' whoopie.

I realize you don't like the band and I understand that. I'm not a fan either, but seriously you CAN'T believe that to be true. If you do, I'd like to take you back in time to a Firehouse/Dokken show at the Riviera in Atlanta a few years ago. Don Dokken had a wireless mic and put on the most boring perfomance I've ever seen. Wireless mic does not equal stage presence. That takes something special.

so basically...
if you 'draw a crowd' and kiss ass to TPTB, you get to play D C.

all im saying, is they arent playing anything that we havent heard before. *sarcasm* and thankfully we get to hear it every year....