Opeth - selling-out?

Originally posted by bleed for me
first of all, the term sell out was started by people who needed an excuse for denouncing a band simply because they got popular and now they aren't the cool people who are listening to "underground" music.

What the fuck? You just made that up, and are trying to pass it off as truth.

"Selling Out" is when you comprimise your musical integrity and personal ideals to appeal to a wider audience. Metallica did it (no sane person can listen to Justice, then the Black Album and deny that Metallica old out), Megadeth attempted to do it (Risk), but Opeth is not selling out. Theres a thick line between changing your sound because you want to, and changing your sound cause your record producer (likely that scumbag Bob Rock) tells you that you can make a shitload of money if you do what he says.

Originally posted by bleed for me
first of all, the term sell out was started by people who needed an excuse for denouncing a band simply because they got popular and now they aren't the cool people who are listening to "underground" music.

i don't think opeth's music will change just so that it's more listener friendly. if they do become popular, i won't really care as long as their music is still good.

Perhaps different people have different understandings of the term 'selling out'....

I pretty much agree with Brooks, 'Selling Out' is when a band changes their musical style in an attempt to garner a larger fan base.... I have not 'heard' (in any sense of the word) of a band who has improved their style by doing this.... This is why 'Selling Out' is almost universally considered as a BAD THING.

As for the prospects of Opeth doing this in the near future, even before all the recent quoting of Mikael saying he's 'not doing this for the fans' and what not, I have always been reliatively confident that any changes he makes to their musical stylings will be for the better.....

Well, there have been lots of interesting points in this thread. It's good to see good/in depth discussions of Opeth fans, without the name calling.

Anyway... I'll be brief with my point. Is it possible for Opeth to ever release a CD that may target a broader range of music fans? A CD that is simply more appealing to larger fan base? Yes. Does this make them a sell outs? No, not in my opinion. Will we ever see Opeth go so mainstream as we get to hear them on the radio everyday or see them on MTV every 2 hours? Never.

Just my 2 cents.

NP: Garden Of Shadows - Oracle Moon

~Mezarkabul

Let me go a bit further...

Theres really nothing wrong with selling out. Its the dream of EVERY musician to be able to live off their music. I dont give a fuck if you do what you want to try to expand, and thus make some money and be able to live off your music. What I do give a fuck about is if your music becomes absolute SHIT. As Spike pointed out, a sell out with the music still remaining good is VERY rare, if its happened at all. I think its possible. I'll let the new Opeth records decide.

I'd sell out in a second. And so would you, no matter how black metal elitest you claim to be. If someone told you that you'd become a huge star (read: any and all pussy you could ever want), make tons of money, and would be able to be financially secure for the rest of your life by playing MUSIC, and all you would have to do, is do what a record company tells you, you'd play along. Dont even tell me you wouldn't.

well, for all of us to ponder over: "hooker with a penis" by tool. quite fitting in this discussion. great song by the way...

"I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was OGT,
From '92,
The first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
You should know that
I'm the man,
And if I'm the man,
Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some
Before you point your finger
You should know that
I'm the man,
If I'm the fuckin' man
Then you're the fuckin' man as well
So you can

Dumb fuck.
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy."

Originally posted by Don Corleone
well, for all of us to ponder over: "hooker with a penis" by tool. quite fitting in this discussion. great song by the way...

"I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
Dope Beastie t, nipple rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was OGT,
From '92,
The first EP.

And in between
Sips of Coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
Before you point the finger
You should know that
I'm the man,
And if I'm the man,
Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can

Dumb fuck.
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So I've got some
Before you point your finger
You should know that
I'm the man,
If I'm the fuckin' man
Then you're the fuckin' man as well
So you can

Dumb fuck.
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy."

Those are the dumbest lyrics that I have ever read...

Personally, I never want Opeth to become a commercial band. I hate it when they do that, look at Slipknot yes. I fuckin loved them when they started coming around, then more and more people liked them and they became crap and up themselves. Fear Factory were starting to become commercial, which im glad they split up when they did.
No i would hate it if Opeth did that, I wouldnt say that id stop listening to them ,they are my band of choice, but it would just be crap because everyone would know who they are, and, no that would suck arse.
Thankyou.

Feel the steel

surely it is only 'selling out' if they deliberately change the music they make in order to get a bigger record deal or have more money spent on their promotion etc. i dont think they r doing this. any changes to their sound are surely just the way they want their music to progress, regardless of whether it makes them more popular with record companies/fans or whether it earns them any more money...

well, i wouldnt want to do any kind of injustice on others of your kind, but you are one of the dumbest people I have ever seen.

"Here Here!...."

or is it

"Hear Hear!"

Anyway you get my drift.. I agreee with Don. :D

well, i wouldnt want to do any kind of injustice on others of your kind, but you are one of the dumbest people I have ever seen.

Others of my kind? Oh, you're a quick one. I see you're also very eager to put yourself above "my kind". Well you can suck my kind's dick.

I think this thread is killed.

I think this is the sorta garbage that would drive Mikael away from this forum...

off topic flaming...

I hate to contribute to keeping this thread alive after that, but here.

Bands tend to, over time, strive for better production and improved songwriting. They come closer to that sound they always wanted. It just happens. And as years go by, people change and create different things. So there's that.

Now there's "selling out" which people seem to have different ideas about. I think what it is commonly accepted to be is making money your prime focus instead of making music, the fans, or touring or other better interests.

This has nothing to do with making the band profitable. I think everyone wants that... unless you're in some anti-money band or something.

So anyway, I think just because of natural evolution, Opeth's music became more accessable. I can't really name a band where the opposite happened. Maybe Tool. In almost all cases it's good, or at least good because it's something different. But if you're really locked in on a band sounding this one way, then you'll never enjoy anything new. Katatonia is a perfect example. Their old old stuff bores me. BMD is good, but everything past that really catches me and just the musical value is 300% better. And I'm primarily a metal person.

-Hondo

There is a big difference between selling out and going mainstream. Opeth is NOT selling out (and I thank them for it). But, on the other hand, Opeth is becoming (or should I say "is") mainstream. This is the problem. I know if I was in a band as renouned as Opeth, I wouldn't want little 13 year old skater punk kids listening to my music. I wouldn't want to be on MTV where millions of people would hear my music and suddenly like it because it's the "cool thing to like". I hope Opeth never gets to this stage... They came pretty close with Damnation. I've been to sites where people are like:

I love Opeth! Damnation rocks!

I bet that's because Damnation is the only album they've heard.

Ok, I know this is turning into a rant. Opeth can do whatever they want with their music, but in my opinion, they'd be better off if their music was less promoted. Then most of their fans would be truer, so to speak.