Passing of a Progpower Attendee

BABS

Feb 11, 2002
Visit site
Hi gang. Glenn might move this into the PP Lounge area of the board, but I wasn't sure of where to post it.

Today I got the news that a fellow Progpower attendee has passed away. His name was Raymond Dowdell and he traveled to Progpower every year from Kentucky. I was introduced to him ironically by a young man that would frequent an industrial music bulletin board from time to time. This young man would always say "There's a guy I buy music from that goes to that Progpower festival you talk about every year, I want you to meet him..." So a few years back I met up with him and found him to be one of the most knowledgeable resources in music I had ever met. He had spent a great deal of personal time in his life traveling to states like OH, NC and Atlanta for shows.

Below is a link to a newspaper write up on his passing, I will try to find a recent photo of him to post up here, I'm sure a few of you will recognize him when you see it:

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/cgi-bin/c2.cgi?053+article+News.Local+20090323162058053003

RIP, just goes to show you, life is short, and so unpredictable, cherish every minute of it.

I found some photos of him on a radio station website.

100_1206_000.JPG

100_1195.JPG

I certainly do recognize him. Very cool guy and so young too. Really a shame. Wish I had talked to him more.

Thank you for finding the photo of him AnnMarie!!! He was truly a very quiet and down to earth person, but boy he could talk like the dickens when you got him on the subject of music!

The news article broke my heart when it said he was found on the floor of his music store with a cd in his hand, but you know something tells me deep down he would have been ok with that (soft smile).

I remember saying goodbye to him after the last show at PP, he tapped me on the shoulder and said "See ya next year!" Oh man, now I'm starting to tear up now. You just never know man...

WOW, I read the article...the poor guy died in his own record store and when they found him lying there, he was still holding a cd in his hand! A shame but very ironic! I wonder what cd he was holding? I'm sure we would all wonder that ....out of morbid curiousity...I guess. REST IN PEACE METAL BROTHER!

I do remember that guy as well. Never knew his name but had several great conversations with him. As far as I can remember, he was super nice and knew just about everything there is to know about the NWOBHM movement.

Class guy, may he RIP

Wow, I'm shocked!

While I didnt know Ray personally I did see him quite a bit at shows. He used to make it to many shows in Chicago as well as all the PPs. He looks a lot like a friend of mine, my wife and I always used to joke around saying our friend was at another show. Man that sucks.

He looks vaguely familiar, plus he was obviously a big fan of my favorite band, Iron Maiden. I feel like I just lost a friend and tue brother in metal. He will surely be missed this year and at all future festivals and concerts. RIP and enter Valhalla, true warrior of metal! HAIL!

Ray was one of the good ones. Being from KY, I tried to visit his store every few months or so. I could never spend less than 3 hours as Ray would open CDs and play anything I wanted to hear. He introduced me to many of the PP bands. I think he attended every PP but PP I. I'm going to miss him.

That is truly a shame. I've been going every year, and I never spoke to the guy. Knowing that he ran his own music store, I would have loved to chat with him about the business. I'll be raising my horns in salute to him.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert