• Communic

Votes: 64 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Fiddler

Just Do It.
Nov 27, 2002
Heaven and Hell
After browsing through a couple of very long threads with everyone's wishlist for PP8, I noted the 20 bands that kept popping up most and decided to post a poll to narrow it down a bit (the playoffs). Plus, I prefer controlled polls (i.e. limited options) to laundry lists with unlimited options.

The poll function in the forum allows for only 20 choices, so not everyone's choices will be listed. The most popular names were chosen, not the bands I would personally like to see at PP8.

I wanted the poll to give a chance to bands that have yet to play PP – OR – have had only one previous appearance in the USA (ProgPower) and no formal US tour. Vanden Plas, Pagans Mind, and Redemption meet the later criteria, and furthermore, have released new studio albums meeting critical acclaim since their last, and only, visit to ProgPower.

I omitted a few names for the following reasons:

Fates Warning - They have had an open invite for years, but have never seized the opportunity to play the biggest headlining set of their careers in the USA. :erk: I wish they (Jim) would change their mind. Alongside Iced Earth, they are my two favorite bands of all time.

Demons and Wizards - With the new BG out and IE in the works, a DW show isn't going to happen, or is so slim compared to the other options.

Iced Earth - new disc won't be out until later next year and tour will happen later than that.

Blind Guardian/Gamma Ray - they are touring the US now and/or have toured the US before, and have played PP before.

Symphony X - It's a given that the overwhelming majority of folks want to see them. :) They've already played PP three times and are no longer strangers to touring the USA.

The Fiddler said:
Blind Guardian/Gamma Ray - they are touring the US now and/or have toured the US before, and have played PP before. I wanted the poll to give a chance to bands that have yet to play PP.

Going by your rules, you would need to omit Vanden Plas (oh god please omit them), Pagans Mind, and Redemption. I forgot the rest of the list but I think that was all of em.

Mosquito said:
Going by your rules, you would need to omit Vanden Plas (oh god please omit them), Pagans Mind, and Redemption. I forgot the rest of the list but I think that was all of em.

I included those bands because they never had a US tour(s) (that I was aware of - I may have goofed) like Blind Guardian (on tour now [second US tour] with past PP headliner slot) and Gamma Ray (toured this summer with past PP headliner slot) have had.

ok, this is my deal. Riverside is good but they are not fucking metal whatsoever. If Glenn got Riverside why not get Marillion the next year. Hell, Genesis is fucking heavier than Riverside. Leave Riverside up to Nearfest, which they already did.

where the fuck is adagio,symphony x,brainstorm,and more kickass shit...i didnt see much on the list.and you said no bands that have played yet..(you got a couple on there.lol.) just wanted to let you know....

dargormudshark said:
ok, this is my deal. Riverside is good but they are not fucking metal whatsoever. If Glenn got Riverside why not get Marillion the next year. Hell, Genesis is fucking heavier than Riverside. Leave Riverside up to Nearfest, which they already did.

I don't disagree at all which is why I found it interesting that Riverside has gotten so many requests over the last 2 years, so I had to include them to see how they would fare against the heavier bands. Looks like they are holding their own right now. I think, and I may be totally mistaken, but Riverside was approached by Glenn previously but they had visa issues. Again, that's just what my aging memory seems to recall and is subject to correction.

monstershredder0003 said:
where the fuck is adagio,symphony x,brainstorm,and more kickass shit...i didnt see much on the list.and you said no bands that have played yet..(you got a couple on there.lol.) just wanted to let you know....

All good bands that I'd like to see again. :kickass:

SX - nothing new since they last played PP and hence little buzz since then.
Brainstorn - same situation as SX.
Adagio - new disc since last PP, but didn't get rave reviews here.

Because Glenn likes to book bands getting a lot of attention/chatter on the internet, and because he usually finalizes his lineup in late December, I think that those bands not making a lot of noise during the selection process may be at a disadvantage. But of course, if SX does get their new disc out before PP8 (and I''m sure it will slay), then they would make total sense, which is another reason why I didn't bother to include them (to make room for another band in the poll that's not necessarily a slam dunk).

You could probably start another poll (which I think Zod did within the last year, but would not have included PP7 bands) where the only options are returning bands (i.e. of which bands that have already played PP would you like to see return).

The Fiddler said:
All good bands that I'd like to see again. :kickass:

SX - nothing new since they last played PP and hence little buzz since then.
Brainstorn - same situation as SX.
Adagio - new disc since last PP, but didn't get rave reviews here.

Because Glenn likes to book bands getting a lot of attention/chatter on the internet, and because he usually finalizes his lineup in late December, I think that those bands not making a lot of noise during the selection process may be at a disadvantage. But of course, if SX does get their new disc out before PP8 (and I''m sure it will slay), then they would make total sense, which is another reason why I didn't bother to include them (to make room for another band in the poll that's not necessarily a slam dunk).

You could probably start another poll (which I think Zod did within the last year, but would not have included PP7 bands) where the only options are returning bands (i.e. of which bands that have already played PP would you like to see return).

SymphX will release a new album at the beginning of 2007, IIRC from the news. Would be a lot of persons first choice, I bet.

Brainstorm: Deserves a headliner spot, and they still would not cover all of their discography. Would have been my first choice.

Not on the list, and not the subject of this thread but fuckit: I would still like to see Prototype return (opening slot or pre-party), Anubis Gate (def. first or second slot).

Finally, where the hell is DREAMSCAPE? They only kicked our asses twice, will have a new album out, and really deserve a third or fourth slot.

That said, I could only pick 6 bands I really cared to see...but that is ok because if I get 4 great new bands a year, I am very very happy.

I voted for:
Riverside
Helloween
Nocturnal Rites
Pretty Maids
Running Wild
Cloudscape
Pagans Mind
Redemption
Firewind
Falconer