ProgPower USA XI

well said john... people just need enjoy the show and the fact that we have this opportunity to see all these great bands over the course of 3 nights thanks to Glen and others. Quit complaining so much, no one gives a crap if you hate one of the bands or all of them.

well said john... people just need enjoy the show and the fact that we have this opportunity to see all these great bands over the course of 3 nights thanks to Glen and others. Quit complaining so much, no one gives a crap if you hate one of the bands or all of them.

Not into opposing opinions much huh. Where's the fun in nodding head, lemming-ism?

I'd admit there are bands that I don't care for at PP. When DSO started I exited shortly after. Not my cup of tea etc.

That said there are other options. Be it shopping at the Vendors, signing sessions, restaurants, having a drink or watching an expensive film in the privacy of your hotel room. The last option is almost guaranteed to end with a smile.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think Tarot had any chart toppers (maybe one in finland and one in japan) until after marco had joined Nightwish.

I'm going to enjoy their set regardless, so don't take this as a "tarot sucks" post....it's far from that

***Edit Tarot had 5 albums pre Macro joining nightwish....only one of these albums made it into the finnish charts for 3 weeks w/ 1 single****
I'm still standing by my "Nightwish bassist claim to fame" remark

Whether an album is "chart topping" means nothing to me. I look for quality music from quality people.

Hammerfall, Nocturnal Rites are a dream come true for me I have been wanting to see them two at ppusa for several years now and to have them come at the same show is amazing, I already bought my tickets can't wait to see everyone there! Hammer, and nocturnal are going to be amazing.
:headbang::kickass::worship: I am most looking forward to HF, NR, and Delain, but the entire festival is gonna kick so much butt!

I'm not quite clear on what the point of complaining about the lineup is. Just don't see the bands you aren't interested in watching. It's such a simple solution! It's not like anyone is forcing anyone else into watching bands they aren't too thrilled about, so why complain?

This is actually all I was trying to get at in my earlier rant (sorry about that guys...and sorry Glenn...I've been chastised *hangs tail between legs*). I think that every year there seems to be a really good balance, and no matter what there is always at least 3 bands I really want to see, and at least one or two that are a really pleasant surprise. But whenever there's a band I really just don't care for - hey, that's a good chance to go get a bite to eat. I'm just tired of hearing either side say the festival is un-balanced - let Glenn do his thing, because he's awesome! He gets the bands we'd NEVER SEE OTHERWISE. :-D

Next year should be a lot of fun. I'm excited about Nocturnal Rites, Stormwarrior, Tyr, Tarot, and to a lesser extent Delain and Kamelot. I think Oceans of Sadness sounds very promising so I'm definitely going to check them out too. All in all, great lineup!

So did Epica when they played.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear Epica had 4 when they played: Phantom Agony/We will take you with us/ consign to oblivion/ The score. I swear the score came out right around the time of thier PP performace...
HOLY CRAP.. I Just realized why Paradox seemed familiar!!!

I got this tape in 9th grade or 10th grade and just dug it up. Revisiting this tonight.

her-front.jpg
That album.....:headbang:

I really hope he does The Gathering with them. :kickass:
I was hoping the exact same thing!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear Epica had 4 when they played: Phantom Agony/We will take you with us/ consign to oblivion/ The score. I swear the score came out right around the time of thier PP performace...

I don't really consider We Will Take You With Us an album since they're all songs off Phantom Agony. Which is kind of the same feeling I have about The Score since it's mostly instrumental work done for a film.

So did Epica when they played.
Epica did have 4 albums out at the time they played PP - Consign to Oblivion, Phantom Agony, We Will Take You With Us, and The Score, which had just recently come out before or around PP that year. I owned at least 3 of those at the time they played.

Not that I'm complaining about Delain getting a longer set :headbang: (Thank you, Glenn!), but I was also surprised at their placement. Even I had them as a #2 slot in my guesses.

I was hoping the exact same thing!
+1

I don't really consider We Will Take You With Us an album since they're all songs off Phantom Agony. Which is kind of the same feeling I have about The Score since it's mostly instrumental work done for a film.
Point taken, although there are a few songs different from We Will Take You With Us to the Phantom Agony. Regardless, Epica had plenty of great material to fill their time and plenty of fans there to enjoy it. Who's to say Delain won't do the same?

I'm really not thrilled about Delain. One female fronted metal band gets thrown a bone most years; why, next year, did the most mediocre band in the genre have to be picked? I can think of 20 better, more deserving bands.

One female fronted metal band gets thrown a bone most years; why, next year, did the most mediocre band in the genre have to be picked?
Because Within Temptation costs too much. :lol:

Actually I like Delain a lot. OK, sure. They're pretty poppy and what they're doing has been done by dozens of other female fronted metal bands (especially in the past 5 years where it has become more difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff/gimmick IMO). But while there are a lot of factors Glenn has to examine when choosing the bands for PP each year, the gender of the band's singer is not one of them. (Leave that to me and The SwordLord. :heh:) Buzz on this forum, however, probably is something Glenn takes into account and Delain has been getting a good amount of that recently.

Personally in the realm of female fronted metal, I think a band like Crystal Viper would be a good choice for PP someday, but the line-up is already notably power heavy this year so I understand the choice of a more symphonic band like Delain.