progressive or power?

Yngvai X said:
Power, but more on the side of Blind Guardian, Rage, Grave Digger, etc. I'm not a fan of the happy-go-lucky-peter-pan-skipping-through-the-forest style powermetal.

Yeah, exactly the same here in regards to power metal. I prefer bands with grit and crunch...you know, bands that remember to put the "heavy" in "heavy metal." :headbang:

JosephAcevedo said:
I think there are alot of killer bands in every genre of metal but i will admit I don't listen to alot of gothenburg/melodic/swedish style metal.

I loved that stuff a couple of years ago, before that genre exploded. Now there are so many of those bands that I just got sick of all of it. Like the female-fronted metal bands, I can't put my finger on any particular band that I dislike, I am just tired of the glut of them.

Ruthven said:
I loved that stuff a couple of years ago, before that genre exploded. Now there are so many of those bands that I just got sick of all of it. Like the female-fronted metal bands, I can't put my finger on any particular band that I dislike, I am just tired of the glut of them.

I agree with you. I used to listen to alot of bands that played that gothenburg metal but now they have gotten boring for me now. Especially since there are now bands like darkest hour, Bleeding through, shadows fall, all that remain, ect.. are now combining the gothenburg sound with hardcore. Not to also forget that bands who pioneered the genre are now comining hardcore elements in their newer music ala In flames, arch enemy, soilwork, Children of bodom, ect........

I'm just really bored and tired of it.

JosephAcevedo said:
I'm just really bored and tired of it.

I was at a Tower months ago, and I had some time to spare so I checked out a "cutting edge" metal band that they were hyping on their listening booths. After listening to the first moments of a few tracks, I took the headphones off and said "'Slaughter of the Soul' was released ten years ago, boys."

I love all styles. Power, prog, black, death, doom, thrash, and good ol' traditional heavy fucking metal. But, if someone put a gun to my nuts to choose between power or prog, then power wins by a huge landslide. I love prog, too, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for masturbatory noodling around and prefer things more to the point.

Emerald Sword said:
I love prog, too, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for masturbatory noodling around and prefer things more to the point.

Yes I agree . There is more to music and life then just instrumental masterbation. I prefer things to get to the point myself. I sometimes think it's rediculous if a band needs to make 1000 riff changes per song or put 1000 notes/beats per riff to get their point across. Their is beauty in simplicity. However if makes 1000 riffs per song and instrumental masterbation is what needs to be done to get a bands point across then it's cool with me. i like it both ways but prefer things to the point.

JosephAcevedo said:
Yes I agree . There is more to music and life then just instrumental masterbation. I prefer things to get to the point myself. I sometimes think it's rediculous if a band needs to make 1000 riff changes per song or put 1000 notes/beats per riff to get their point across. Their is beauty in simplicity. However if makes 1000 riffs per song and instrumental masterbation is what needs to be done to get a bands point across then it's cool with me. i like it both ways but prefer things to the point.

hum... Not all prog is like that... And that's one of the main reasons I dislike most of power metal.. I can't take the pointless shredding..
So the argument goes both ways..

Angrafan said:
hum... Not all prog is like that... And that's one of the main reasons I dislike most of power metal.. I can't take the pointless shredding..

well, most powermetal bands don't have "shredders" amongst their ranks. Actually, Angra and Rage are the only two I can think of off the top of my head that do. (and Nevermore, if you count them, but a lot of people don't)

Angrafan said:

I know not all prog is this way. I should have mentioned that. I will admit there are also alot of wankers from both the guitarists and keyboardists in power metal but i mostly hear the wankering during solo's or half leads but barly en entire song full of instrumental masterbation ? i barely hear it in power metal bands. Then again the power metal bands that do that also combine prog.

Fates Warning's "pleasant shade of grey" is progressive and a great album with barly any instrument masterbation.

I like it both either way but i like things to be more simple (to the point) then using instrumental wankering.

Like for an example sure Jon Oliva (savatage) is not virtouso like Jane wirman (children of bodom) but I like Oliva style of keyboards because he gets to his point without the wankering.

As much as I like Spiral Architect... I must say they do not really need to wank off as much as they do either.

The arguement can go either way depending on what 2 bands from each genre you are comparing.

Ruthven said:
I was at a Tower months ago, and I had some time to spare so I checked out a "cutting edge" metal band that they were hyping on their listening booths. After listening to the first moments of a few tracks, I took the headphones off and said "'Slaughter of the Soul' was released ten years ago, boys."

I agree!

Other albums I think that are being way over copied that been released nearly 10 years ago or more are....

Dream Theaters " Images and words "
Suffocation "effigy of the forgotten "
Slayer "Reign in Blood"
Helloween " Keeper of the 7 keys "
Yngwie Malmsteens " Rising Force "
Dark Throne " A blaze in the Northern sky "
Judas Priest "Painkiller"

I dig several "sub-genres" of metal, but I like good music and don't care if one is labeled power or prog or thrash. If I had to choose between power and prog, I really couldn't do that either. Some of my fave bands are power, some are prog. Some of my favorite bands really are in the gray area as well and could be considered either.

Bryant

I like power metal, as long as it's not too fast. I'm more of an 80s mid-tempo guy and 16th note repetitive double bass drumming and fast, scootching guitar riffs just turn me off. I don't mind if the music speeds up for brief periods, that's cool with me. I love Wuthering Heights and Kamelot, and they have speedy parts to them. Mostly, out of power metal, I like the more mid-tempo bands like Brainstorm, Tad Morose, and Cage.

I also like prog, but only if it's not too prog. Never did get Dream Theater, and I am not impressed with instrumental wankery. When you sacrifice melody and good songwriting for the sake of wankery, you've gone too prog for me. That said, most of my favorite bands fall in the prog (metal) category: Savatage, Ayreon, Evergrey, Orphaned Land, Dead Soul Tribe, and Therion to name a few.

NP: Queensryche - Rage for Order