progressive or power?

I dislike a lot of labeling. I listen to what sounds good to me. I have CD's in my collection that are progressive metal, power metal, progressive rock, new age, classical and that stupid "Right Said Fred" CD that my ex-girlfriend convinced me to buy. Oh the stupid things we do when we are in love!

I've noticed that the majority of what I *really* like just so happens to be Power Metal. It happens to strongly represent what I think metal does at it's finest which is unify the listeners. I posted extensively about this on another forum and I think I'll try and find that post and add it here later.

Nathan
The SwordLord

Though I really dig both subgenres, I lean toward the progressive side. I really like the intellectual side of music, so I focus a lot on the lyrics. I also really appreciate a band that has the chops to keep things technical. I can dig the so-called "prog metal," as I admittedly can't get enough noodling. Just the same, I really like musicians who have the chops yet show restraint. There are some truly outstanding bands who are either constantly pushing the envelope and introducing something new to music (Pain Of Salvation) or adding new dimensions to their sound (Dream Theater). Those bands are some of my absolute favorites. Power metal is great stuff, and there is plenty of intelligently-written power metal, but it is essentially a simpler style of music compared to progressive metal. I could totally see why somebody else would prefer power metal, but my ever-racing mind feeds off of the progressive stuff.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

I'm more power than prog, but I do enjoy prog if I'm in the mood. The first European band I ever heard was Stratovarius, even before Maiden, Sabbath and Priest, so I'm inclined to be a fan of the fast and the furious. These days, I don't care so much if it's fast, although an album feels incomplete without a sheer scorcher in there somewhere.

I'm seeing a surprising amount of Trivium fans on here, to them I reccomend Byzantine. Killer riffage and it harkens back to a time when solos were designed to sound cool instead of be imposible to play. The vocals are much screamage, though so not everyone will enjoy. Check 'em out: http://www.byzantine1.com/

FatesFan said:
Here is Henning Pauly's vote:

For the record, I think Henning is a dumb ass. Although the Album he did with Sebastin rocked. Okay....my vote is...........PROG. I like power too, but I would call myself more of a Prog guy.

NOW WAIT JUST A DARN MINUTE! I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS HENNING GUY'S PROBLEM IS, BUT THE NEW FRAMESHIFT HAS ALL KINDS OF CLASSIC METAL MOVES IN IT. GANG VOCALS FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! I LOVE IT, BUT HE DOESN'T HAVE THE GROUND TO SLAM ANOTHER BAND!

I HAVE NEWS FOR MR. HENNING. THE BEST THING THAT'S HAPPENED TO HIS MUSIC IS THE MOTHER TRUCKER HIMSELF, "FOREVER WILD" SEBASTIAN BACH!
:heh:

I just like good music , I could care less what genre it is. At PPVI the bands I liked the most were Symphorce,Therion and Conception, 3 different types of bands

edgeofthorns said:
NOW WAIT JUST A DARN MINUTE! I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS HENNING GUY'S PROBLEM IS, BUT THE NEW FRAMESHIFT HAS ALL KINDS OF CLASSIC METAL MOVES IN IT. GANG VOCALS FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! I LOVE IT, BUT HE DOESN'T HAVE THE GROUND TO SLAM ANOTHER BAND!

I HAVE NEWS FOR MR. HENNING. THE BEST THING THAT'S HAPPENED TO HIS MUSIC IS THE MOTHER TRUCKER HIMSELF, "FOREVER WILD" SEBASTIAN BACH!
:heh:

WHoa chill out dude...... Everything will be ok...... but PM me about this band. I am an Acceptomaniac. I love gang vocals. You don't hear much of that these days.

Bryant