Reducing my CD Library

TCProgger

Dec 14, 2007
Due to a number of factors, I'm cutting a lot of fat out of my CD library. My problem is, how to get rid of it all while at the same time getting some money back.

I could haul it down to a trader, but past experience tells me I won't get the ideal return on my stuff. I've been told re-selling things as used on Amazon might be the best option. Ideally I'd like to get around half the price back, $6-7 a disc. I haven't done a full count but I know we're talking over 100 CDs that I'm getting rid of.

Has anyone else had experience with this? I'd appreciate any advice.

Try selling them on Discogs. Will also give you a realistic idea of what you can get for them. Easy to set up an account.

eBay is also an option. Fees are lower than amazon but you are limited to 50 free listing a month. More than that you have to pay an insertion fee even if your item don't sell. If you are targeting worldwide, it's maybe better on eBay unless you list your item in all Amazon sites. For example, not so long ago I have sold on eBay a CD (Tad Morose - Sender Of Thoughts) to a person in Finland (I'm located in Canada). I'm not sure if many people in Canada know this band? Great disc by the way, I sold the disc because I bought the Japanese edition with the bonus track!

Last edited:
I considered eBay at first, but I knew there had to be better options. I'll keep it in mind as a last resort.

I could have put some of it in a church yard sale today, but since we're talking mostly prog stuff, I know it won't even be familiar to most people around here, at least the people who's be coming to a church yard sale.

Forget e-Bay TC; it costs too much. You have e-Bay fees & Paypal fees, it sucks!
Unless you can make a lot of money per cd. forget it!
Years ago, e-Bay was great; now it is flooded & the fees are too much.

Thanks, Neo. Yeah, I figured eBay would be too much of a pain to deal with. Honestly dealing with the internet and selling to people far and wide intimidates me. I've never done something like that before. I'm trying to make space so I want to get rid of all these CDs as quickly as possible but at the same time I would like to make a bit back on all the money I put into them. I wouldn't mind even just $2 a piece. Just have to find the best way to accomplish my goal.

I'll look into that. It's mostly prog, though some isn't, like some Metallica and AC/DC, etc. I chose to cut a bit more out today, so I need to take stock of what I've got and how much it actually totals. Part of this process is because I'm having to rip all my CDs to a new computer after the sudden total loss of my old laptop. Then there's lack of space and loss of interest.

Are there any suggestions for a bulk sale? I have about 500 or so I could definitely part with as my tastes have changed over time. But the thought of listing and shipping them onesy-twosy is a bit daunting. Any ideas?

Are you ripping lossless or lossy?

Neither, I think? I use iTunes, I'm ripping whatever on there seemed to make sense. Next time I rip a CD I'll be sure to look and let you know. At this rate I'm too far into the process to make a change. My OCD won't allow it.

I don't really have much idea of this vs. that when it comes to audio quality.

Neither, I think? I use iTunes, I'm ripping whatever on there seemed to make sense. Next time I rip a CD I'll be sure to look and let you know. At this rate I'm too far into the process to make a change. My OCD won't allow it.

I don't really have much idea of this vs. that when it comes to audio quality.

Now I'm having a sad. :(

10 years ago I ripped all my CDs in ogg vorbis (lossy format but better than mp3). It was the best choice at the moment because flac files are big and big hard drives were expansive back then. I recently re-ripped all my CDs in flac (lossless format). These days big hard drives are cheap. I still use ogg vorbis for my portable player (I convert the flac files) because of the limited space. I don't know very much iTunes, but if you can, use a lossless format like flac. I think for apple there is format called apple lossless?

Last edited:
Perhaps you can educate me in that case, oh wise one. I do enjoy learning. :)
With iTunes you can rip lossless (aiff, alac, wav) or lossy (mp3). Probably the default is a low bit rate mp3. Mp3s are the spawn of the devil and should never be used for archival purposes. They sound like shit and you are throwing away the baby with the bathwater.

Storage is cheap. Don't fall down the rabbit hole and rip your collection into mp3s. If you started then start over.

Repent Ye Sinner! Salvation awaits...

Nope, sorry, if I have to start over one more time I will go insane, I'm not kidding. I've already started over recently after weeks at ripping due to a weird issue over artists and albums showing up duplicated when I wanted to change out the music on my iPod, so now I know I have to fix all information before ripping CDs rather than after, not to mention I finally have my entire CD collection over here after moving into this house over 2 years ago, with not enough room to store everything properly (another reason I'm trimming the fat).

Now that I understand the difference in audio quality, perhaps quietly over time I will re-rip what I've done so far, but for now it's plow ahead.

Last edited:
OK, the options I have are: AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, mp3, and WAV.

I've been doing all my ripping so far in AAC. Is this sufficient? Or should I abandon this for Lossless? I'm not willing just at this time to re-rip all that I've done up to this point, but I will be happy to move ahead in another format and deal with the already-ripped portion later when it's more convenient.