Rush Tour

DigitalMan

Feb 11, 2002
Colorado Springs, Colorado
FYI, in case you didn't see it, Rush just announced a North American tour for this summer. They said this might be the last major tour. Pre-Sale tickets for some cities go on sale tomorrow.

http://www.rush.com

Looks like I'll be going to Denver, Washington DC and maybe a Southern California date.

No listing of an opener. Not surprising as of the trend they've been doing since 'Test For Echo'. As much as Rush is awesome, I throw them into the group of major 'heavy' bands (fill in your own blanks) that have pretty much shafted the younger, newer-ish bands that could've used the exposure as their opener.

I'm pretty damn sure that Rush benefitted back in the 70's of opening up for larger bands. But when it has come time where the favor would be greatly appreciated because of the lack of label support the last 15+ years for their type of band...Rush drops the ball and figures they just don't care about anybody else but themselves. If they did, they'd have an opener. Even if it was a band I thought sucked, at least they'd be trying. IMO, A band like Voyager would go over big supporting Rush. But we'll never know.

As for the tour, not interested anymore. That last album was the most overhyped junk I'd ever heard. Not to mention the tour (the whole album?! Really?!) Not for me.

I've still never seen Rush so even though we've heard the "final tour" spiel a million times, I don't think I'll take that chance this time.

Plus, since its the 40th anniversary they will be most likely pulling stuff from all their albums, not just focusing on the newer material.

First time I saw Rush was December 13, 1978 at what was then called the Checkerdome in St. Louis, MO for their Hemispheres tour. We were seated in the Mezzanine, which was in the lower level just to the right of the stage. We were basically eye level with the band. The air in the concert hall was thick with hard rock, the smell of weed, and good vibes. Everybody was into it. Great seats and great concert. What I remember most from that show was seeing Eric Lifeson on the right side of the stage, head down, and jamming the entire time. I don't remember him ever looking up from his guitar.

That was a good year for shows too. Three months earlier (September 16) I saw Black Sabbath on their Never Say Die tour while they still had Ozzie singing with them. Van Halen opened for that one. Eddie was ripping it up like no one's business, and I still think David Lee Roth was their best vocalist. Anyway, Sabbath played all their old hits that night, and back in 1978 they already had a long history. Some guy was seated next to me during that show cursing at the top of his lungs in approval the entire time. Must have been high on acid or something - at one point he ripped off his glasses, threw them on the floor, and stomped on them. LOL That same month (September) I saw Yes "In the Round" - which was another great show. Back then they always opened up with Siberian Khatru, which was a great opener to get you in the mood for a night (yes pun intended). A few months later in Spring 79 I saw a couple more notable shows. Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott on bass and vocals with Gary Moore on guitars was one, and Judas Priest was another. Imagine seeing Judas Priest back in 1979. (I guess I get the geezer award of the day for this post.) :-D Ahh those were my "golden days", but I'm telling you we've got more good bands playing more good stuff than we had back then. Anubis Gate anyone?

No listing of an opener. Not surprising as of the trend they've been doing since 'Test For Echo'. As much as Rush is awesome, I throw them into the group of major 'heavy' bands (fill in your own blanks) that have pretty much shafted the younger, newer-ish bands that could've used the exposure as their opener.

I'm pretty damn sure that Rush benefitted back in the 70's of opening up for larger bands. But when it has come time where the favor would be greatly appreciated because of the lack of label support the last 15+ years for their type of band...Rush drops the ball and figures they just don't care about anybody else but themselves. If they did, they'd have an opener. Even if it was a band I thought sucked, at least they'd be trying. IMO, A band like Voyager would go over big supporting Rush. But we'll never know.

As for the tour, not interested anymore. That last album was the most overhyped junk I'd ever heard. Not to mention the tour (the whole album?! Really?!) Not for me.

To be honest, I think the average Rush fan couldn't care less about there being an opening act. The band gives the fans what they want: more Rush.

Always look forward to them coming to town, and always fear it will be the last time. We get closer to that time every year...

Are you done making us jealous? ;)

Ha you are kind. I was serious when I said there are far more bands out there today with a better sound than the "good old days". Just know when you're an old geez like me, you'll hear someone's jaw hit the floor when you tell them you went to the legendary ProgPower back in the day. Nothing else like it. FWIW, I'm hoping God himself puts Saint Glenn :saint: to work on putting some ProgPowers together for all of us in the hereafter. Wouldn't that be cool? Free admission, all the beer you could drink, and the best prog metal bands in all eternity!

They didn't play the whole album.

To be honest, I think the average Rush fan couldn't care less about there being an opening act. The band gives the fans what they want: more Rush.

Yea, I saw a few newer (at the time) bands open for Rush in the late 80's/early 90's and I think it would be kind to say the response was disinterested. Rush fans were polite enough not to boo, but the arena was less than half full. Most people were in the concourse or just came in an hour late.

If we we are really being honest, a lot of fans at the bigger shows are not even there to see Rush per se, they are there to see the hits. The last time we saw them, the sections around us basically stood and cheered for the radio hits and then sat down with their beers during some the rest of the show. Now that is not typical of all Rush shows, I have seen them recetly where all the people around me were into it the whole time.

When DT plays 1500-2000 seat venues, just about everyone is a die hard. When rush plays 8-12k seat venues, you get a lot of weekend warriors. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't see even an energetic band like Voyager succeeding in those conditions.

Yea, I saw a few newer (at the time) bands open for Rush in the late 80's/early 90's and I think it would be kind to say the response was disinterested. Rush fans were polite enough not to boo, but the arena was less than half full. Most people were in the concourse or just came in an hour late.

Best 2 openers ever, Rory Gallagher, can't remember which tour that was, and I saw Gary Moore open on Signals. May have been the last time I saw them live, in person.....

Reactions: NorseBlood

I remember seeing Saxon open for them in 1980 in Charlotte. I was thrilled because I had played the Wheels of Steel album until I nearly wore the needle off the record player but I remember the crowd not being all that much into them. Saxon got no radio play on the Charlotte station and I don't think most people had heard of them. There weren't any boos - just polite attention and decent clapping after the set.

Now this would be an interesting pairing these days!

I thought about going, but the tickets are stupid expensive here. Nosebleeds would cost me $200/each. I'll probably just wait for the DVD.