Sirius won't play Prog/Power music

darthrya

Maiden fan since I was 9
Jul 31, 2004
Washington, USA
maidenshows.ryasrealm.com
The deejays from Sirius Satellite Radio's only metal channel, Hard Attack (ch. 27), refuse to play prog/power bands. All they want to play are nu metal and hard core acts, and they won't play anything with melody.

I AM NOT JOKING! Some deejays actually laugh at people who request Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Helloween, Angra, etc.

Please send an email to ALL THE DEEJAYS on Sirius' Hard Attack. Whether you are a Sirius subscriber or not, please help prog/power get played on Sirius.

Send emails to:
kal@sirius-radio.com
trock@sirius-radio.com
jose@sirius-radio.com
amys@sirius-radio.com
mario@sirius-radio.com
opie@sirius-radio.com

These deejays have to play listener requests if there are enough of them! So email more than once. I suggest sending the same request to all of the deejays on one email.

Thanks!

I have XM radio, and they have a station that will actually play the occasional Edguy, Stratovarious, Conception, etc.

They play Edguy all the time on 41XM, I <3 my XM :), and on 51 they play threshold, DT, and even on the unsigned station I've been hearing Ion Vein.
-manda

I know XM's metal station is superior, and more dedicated to music that doesn't get radio play, but I got Sirius with a lifetime subscription as a present, so I am stuck with trying to make changes for the better.

hard attack is a joke. so are the dj's. they sound like they were handpicked from a local head shop. "yea, man. cool, dude. dude. man. dude, that's so cool, man. heavy" the only power/prog band ive seen on there in nightwish. actually they justed played nemo, and after the song was over that jose guy actually sniggered after he mentioned nightwish's tour being postponed. if they refuse to play power/prog, they should stop fucking using the term "heavy metal" for their station. slipknot? static x? minor times? soulfly? o-tep? uh, no thanks. not getting my money. and since dimebag died, they play pantera and damagesuck like 100 times a day

Barking Pumpkin said:
It's just business.

Sure, but it's bad business if enough people make it plain that they are intentionally bypassing Sirius for XM because of their lame metal selection and sniggering on-air "talent."

It'll be XM for me, if I ever decide to get it. I'm kinda heartened to hear they play any prog- or power-metal at all. Even MusicChoice (on digital cable) seems to have quit playing it. (They used to play it, and even had an on-screen mention of ProgPower in their 'rotation' that they included on their own.)

Pellaz said:
Sure, but it's bad business if enough people make it plain that they are intentionally bypassing Sirius for XM because of their lame metal selection and sniggering on-air "talent."

Agreed. I hate that kind of snickering idiocy that pervades mainstream hard rock DJs. For whatever reason, mainstream radio associates hard rock music with a sophomoric high school mentality and hires accordingly.

XM for me, too, should I ever decide to invest in satellite radio.

You can get a free trial of XM on your PC. I haven't checked out Sirius (apparently I'm not missing anything), but XM definitely plays a lot of music that appeals to the Progpower crowd. First day I had it, I heard Edguy. I just about fell off my chair. :)

The one thing I am happy about Sirius is that they do play a decent amount of death and black, and they even have a whole hour designated for it every night.

I might just get XM too, sometime later on. Then I can hook up my speakers to my stereo and switch back and forth between XM and Sirius.

darthrya said:
I might just get XM too, sometime later on. Then I can hook up my speakers to my stereo and switch back and forth between XM and Sirius.

Uh maybe not after all. I was just on the site, and the setlist is the exact same stuff Sirius is playing! Plus, I like the fact that Sirius doesn't have a (c)rap metal hour. On top of that, Sirius does have the "Bloody Roots" show with Ian Christe, which does showcase a broad range of killer music, including prog/power. Too bad his show is one hour a week. :(

I just listen to my cd's in my truck. No sniggering djs to worry about.

Seriously, how are the talk shows on either one? I usually listen to talk radio alot and wondered if they have a good selection of shows...if anyone else listens to news-talk radio, at all.

I've heard power metal on Hard Attack frequently, I guess it's all luck when you're listening because you really dont get the sense of a "format" that they must follow. I've heard Nevermore, Symphony X, Iced Earth & Helloween.

I cant gripe about Sirius, it's 100% better than regular radio here in Florida. Plus my Trailblazer stereo was Sirius ready when I bought it, it aslo plays mp3/wma, etc. I also have a 40g Nomad with a RF transmitter in the vehicle, I'm not short of optionsif I don't like what I'm scanning on Sirius.

Fn Dan said:
This is interesting to hear...I'll have a talk with Amy S about it tomorrow...any requests anyone? ;)

I will take anything, ANYTHING, that has melody. Strat, Angra, Blind Guardian, etc. The only bad thing about Amy S's show is that she plays in the off-peak hours. :( I don't get to listen to her show very often. If you could get Tom Rock, Mario, or Jose to play some melodic music during the peak hours, and without making fun of it, that would kick ass!

Creeps said:
I've heard power metal on Hard Attack frequently, I guess it's all luck when you're listening because you really dont get the sense of a "format" that they must follow. I've heard Nevermore, Symphony X, Iced Earth & Helloween.

OMG! Helloween?! I've heard some Nevermore and Iced Earth, but they are American metal's "compromise" of choppy hard core and melody. Still those are top notch bands, and I do hear them. I'd love to hear some European melodic music, though. That's my biggest complaint.

BTW, "Beyond the Pit" every night at midnight (eastern time) kicks ass! Lots of death and black. They need a Prog/Power hour.

darthrya said:
I will take anything, ANYTHING, that has melody. Strat, Angra, Blind Guardian, etc. The only bad thing about Amy S's show is that she plays in the off-peak hours. :( I don't get to listen to her show very often. If you could get Tom Rock, Mario, or Jose to play some melodic music during the peak hours, and without making fun of it, that would kick ass!
I don't know any of the others, I only know Amy. Power/prog isn't really her kind of thing, but I can't see her laughing at anyone that made that short of request. I imagine her show is filled with lots of Killswitch Engage and Trivium. ;) I'll mention though that there are people that would like to see some more power/progessive music on Sirius radio. :)

I have no idea how Amy finds time to sleep...there is VERY little in the American metal scene that she isn't involved with these days.

Fn Dan said:
I don't know any of the others, I only know Amy. Power/prog isn't really her kind of thing, but I can't see her laughing at anyone that made that short of request. I imagine her show is filled with lots of Killswitch Engage and Trivium. ;) I'll mention though that there are people that would like to see some more power/progessive music on Sirius radio. :)

I have no idea how Amy finds time to sleep...there is VERY little in the American metal scene that she isn't involved with these days.

Well, there's a fat chance I'll get to hear any requests made to here because I am usually away from the radio at the time, but I'd be happy to make the request on behalf of other prog/power fans. Thanks!