Sirius won't play Prog/Power music

darthrya said:
OMG! Helloween?! I've heard some Nevermore and Iced Earth, but they are American metal's "compromise" of choppy hard core and melody.

Excuse me, but did you just refer to Iced Earth and Nevermore as anything somewhat remotely related to "hardcore" ?

Iced Earth is powermetal and Nevermore I can only really describe as thrash metal with clean vocals.

If you wanna pin that description on any american metal band today, pin it on 3 Inches of Blood. (ok they're Canadian, close enough).

nevermore is most certainly not thrash. by any means. he wasn't calling them hardcore. he was simply saying that the american sheep that's into hardcore-type stuff "compromises" with listening to iced earth/nevermore and such. kind of the mallgoth fans lovefest with cradle of filth. mainly because they're "big" names. along with the godawful shadow's falls and lamb of gods. who the hell would consider these asswads the "new generation of metal"?

and i agree. beyond the pit fucking rules. but then the hour is over, and it's back to shitty music. i mean who wants to hear behemoth or emperor, then go straight into slipknot?

SoNofBitcH said:
nevermore is most certainly not thrash. by any means. he wasn't calling them hardcore. he was simply saying that the american sheep that's into hardcore-type stuff "compromises" with listening to iced earth/nevermore and such. kind of the mallgoth fans lovefest with cradle of filth. mainly because they're "big" names. along with the godawful shadow's falls and lamb of gods. who the hell would consider these asswads the "new generation of metal"?

Yea, I understand what you mean now. I couldn't think of anything else to call Nevermore, cause they certainly aren't anything like powermetal. fuck it, they're just "metal"...

And at this point I think the mallgoth lovefest with Cradle is justified...I'd liken it more to the mallgoths that are into Dimmu.

Yngvai X said:
I couldn't think of anything else to call Nevermore, cause they certainly aren't anything like powermetal. fuck it, they're just "metal"...

Definitely. :D And anything by them and Iced Earth is, pardon the pun, music to my ears. :D

I just wish the station would quit compromising with these bands (but still play them) and expand into more of the European market.

Pellaz said:
Sure, but it's bad business if enough people make it plain that they are intentionally bypassing Sirius for XM because of their lame metal selection and sniggering on-air "talent."

It'll be XM for me, if I ever decide to get it. I'm kinda heartened to hear they play any prog- or power-metal at all. Even MusicChoice (on digital cable) seems to have quit playing it. (They used to play it, and even had an on-screen mention of ProgPower in their 'rotation' that they included on their own.)

Music Choice -on digital cable is where I first heard Tad Morose, nowadays I barely tune in, their selection hasn't been worth my time much lately. XM radio has been good as many have mentioned- My husband has communicated with one of the hosts w/ prog. band lists, and they have obliged his requests. Write to them-XM has come through surely SIRIUS will catch on. (even though we REALLY want SIRIUS service due to their NFL coverage, XM keeps us because of the metal programming)

SoNofBitcH said:

and i agree. beyond the pit fucking rules. but then the hour is over, and it's back to shitty music. i mean who wants to hear behemoth or emperor, then go straight into slipknot?

If you fail to see the talent in SHADOWS FALL, then your a very ignorant person, just because its not your kind of metal, doesnt make it shitty. I myself have just started getting into prog/power metal just a couple of years ago. i grew up in the "hardcore scene" here in albany. it has all changed now, because of the popularity and the exposure the genre is getting. combining "hardcore" with "metal" is a new thing as of the 90's, hence the fact that it is labeled the new generation of heavy metal. i personally love SHADOWS FALL, i agree that LAMB OF GOD, do nothing original, but they still pulled away from the pack with there brutal live shows, and powerfull break downs. if i want to get pumped up for the gym, that cd is the one i play....like it or not "METALCORE" now reigns........

LadySteele said:
Music Choice -on digital cable is where I first heard Tad Morose, nowadays I barely tune in, their selection hasn't been worth my time much lately. XM radio has been good as many have mentioned- My husband has communicated with one of the hosts w/ prog. band lists, and they have obliged his requests. Write to them-XM has come through surely SIRIUS will catch on. (even though we REALLY want SIRIUS service due to their NFL coverage, XM keeps us because of the metal programming)

Sirius does have some trumps, such as the NFL coverage. Soon, they'll have Howard Stern, too. I just wish the metal channel would step up.