Some female fronted bands to check

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
First is Kandia who play a modern form of melodic metal with lots of synthesizer loops but with a heavy crunchy modern sound. The chick's voice is great. The song is decent too. If you are a traditionalist you might not like it but open minded melodic metal fans should love it.

Next is DamageScape, another unknown band to me at least. Damn they sound good. Dual female vocals with the bass player providing back ups to the singer/guitarist lady. This one is a bit more trad than the first one with slightly manlier female vocals which are excellent. It's pretty damn great all round if you ask me. Hope there's an album to follow this up.

This is Sacrament from Russia. Probably my least fave of the four but it's not bad by any means. Her vocals are ok but not brilliant but she's a sweetie so I'll forgive her!

This is the final band of this post and it's again pretty good. Her voice is pretty nice and it's a nice slightly morose and downbeat melancholic song. Probably going for the Evanescence crowd. In fact her voice is not a million miles from Amy's though not as good as obviously. Good stuff for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Next is DamageScape, another unknown band to me at least. Damn they sound good. Dual female vocals with the bass player providing back ups to the singer/guitarist lady.

I love (and I mean love) the effective use of dual female vocalists. Unfortunately, I know of very, very few bands that actually do it (Dreams of Sanity did it for a bit... occasionally a band will do one song that does it, but I'm actually not aware of any other band that actually does it full-time. Anyone have suggestions?)

Unfortunately, on this track at least, DamageScape doesn't do it particularly effectively. :( But still, I'm hopeful!

I love (and I mean love) the effective use of dual female vocalists. Unfortunately, I know of very, very few bands that actually do it (Dreams of Sanity did it for a bit... occasionally a band will do one song that does it, but I'm actually not aware of any other band that actually does it full-time. Anyone have suggestions?)

Well, there is Therion, but that probably isn't what you are looking for.

The only bands I know of that use multiple female singers are non-metal. The original lineup of Karnataka had good harmonizing between Rachel Jones and Ann Marie Helder. Then there is October Project, where Mary Fahl and Marina Bellica worked well together.

But, you don't often see a band with two singers who compliment each other. Most of the time you get bands who go for contrasts.

Unfortunately, on this track at least, DamageScape doesn't do it particularly effectively. :( But still, I'm hopeful!

While I tend to agree, it did seem that they have promise.

I like the Neverstar. Very poppy, but that sugary sound goes down awfully smooth. And it's got some decent crunch behind it for that style, which helps a lot.

I post this every time a thread like this comes up. Love this band to pieces, Japan's answer to Nightwish, with full-on operatic vocals and a seriously talented guitar player. Lyrics are in Japanese, but if you don't mind that this is seriously amazing stuff, it's too bad it has no distribution outside of Japan.

Check out Coronatus.