Spotify to launch in the US this week!!!

Just curious....what exactly is the big deal with this? I'm really slow when it comes to techy/computer stuff....is this basically online radio?

To make it easily explained, you have the option to pay $5 a month and get a software that will connect you to an online server (legal) with over 5 million songs available for you to listen to instantly. It's basically a gigantic iTunes library available to you on demand. There's so much good stuff in it (especially for us). For 6 months, people can try it for free if you get an invite. The only difference is some advertising being played in between some songs. After those 6 months, the free users will have a limit of 20 hours of music play per month and you can only listen to the same song up to 5 times, or the option to become a paid member (totally worth it if you ask me).

You can basically access thousands of metal albums legally and listen to them.

Thanks for the explanation AngraRules. Meh, this isn't for me.... I'm perfectly happy listening to the craploads of cd's I already have.

If you get the chance, give it a try. It's one of those things that can slowly get you. When you realize that you have access to thousands of CDs you can try (and listen to completely) at your fingertips, and legally, it's quite cool. You really have nothing to lose. :)

Folks who are still undecided about going digitally, this might change your minds. :)

If you get the chance, give it a try. It's one of those things that can slowly get you. When you realize that you have access to thousands of CDs you can try (and listen to completely) at your fingertips, and legally, it's quite cool. You really have nothing to lose. :)

Folks who are still undecided about going digitally, this might change your minds. :)

Except that there's no ownership, right? You can't put the songs on your iPod and take them wherever.

Except that there's no ownership, right? You can't put the songs on your iPod and take them wherever.
With the mobile version you can have up to 3000 offline songs from the Spotify library on your iOS/Android etc device (even supports my crappy old Nokia non-touchscreen phone). You won't however be able to copy the files elsewhere from the phone. Naturally you can also stream anything over 3G/Wi-fi on the mobile client too without saving any of it for offline use. The catch is that for being able to use the mobile version you'll have to pay for the Premium version ($9.99/month).

Correct.

It does allow you to sync your library and iPod with its software though. I wonder if it uploads your playlist to "the cloud" or their server securely so that you can access it from anywhere (but obviously only you can access it).

If anyone can enlighten me, I was curious as to how exactly Spotify's contracts with record labels, etc. work. I can only assume they get a gigantic sum of $ paid for the rights of the music?

Oh, I heard that Spotify will add the option to buy music as legal downloads as well (for the free users who don't want to subscribe). Can anyone confirm this?

With the mobile version you can have up to 3000 offline songs from the Spotify library on your iOS/Android etc device (even supports my crappy old Nokia non-touchscreen phone). You won't however be able to copy the files elsewhere from the phone. Naturally you can also stream anything over 3G/Wi-fi on the mobile client too without saving any of it for offline use. The catch is that for being able to use the mobile version you'll have to pay for the Premium version ($9.99/month).

Interesting. I'll be a CD buyer till the day I die (likely crushed under an avalanche of hair metal discs), but the idea sounds like it would work for a lot of people.

Interesting. I'll be a CD buyer till the day I die (likely crushed under an avalanche of hair metal discs), but the idea sounds like it would work for a lot of people.

Unless you're dying soon, the CD won't be around as a medium for a lot longer (or as a major medium I should say). I prefer physical copies still, but eventually most music will just be bought and downloaded. It's already going in that direction.

So, the premium subscription is basically $10 for both the Mobile and the full access? It's still a good deal if you ask me.

And of course, leave it to a Finn to have an old Nokia phone... :lol:

To make it easily explained, you have the option to pay $5 a month and get a software that will connect you to an online server (legal) with over 5 million songs available for you to listen to instantly. It's basically a gigantic iTunes library available to you on demand. There's so much good stuff in it (especially for us). For 6 months, people can try it for free if you get an invite. The only difference is some advertising being played in between some songs. After those 6 months, the free users will have a limit of 20 hours of music play per month and you can only listen to the same song up to 5 times, or the option to become a paid member (totally worth it if you ask me).

You can basically access thousands of metal albums legally and listen to them.

Hmmmm....nah. If I want to listen to an album, I'll buy the cd.....I'm stupid old-school that way.

Unless you're dying soon, the CD won't be around as a medium for a lot longer (or as a major medium I should say). I prefer physical copies still, but eventually most music will just be bought and downloaded. It's already going in that direction.

They probably said the same about vinyl years ago. I have no doubt the physical medium will no longer be available at mainstream retailers, but I have faith that the metal scene will keep the format alive at least for collectors.