Spotify to launch in the US this week!!!

if I want to stream, I'll use pandora. If I want to pick I'll listen to my 120GB iPod. I don't have a phone so being able to listen on it doesn't matter. I use Youtube to sample music. Is there any other reason I should wait patiently for an invite?

if I want to stream, I'll use pandora. If I want to pick I'll listen to my 120GB iPod. I don't have a phone so being able to listen on it doesn't matter. I use Youtube to sample music. Is there any other reason I should wait patiently for an invite?

Well for one, there's the consolidation factor. Why use a million different things to do what Spotify can do by itself? Second, for Spotify vs Pandora, you can choose what you're listening to with Spotify. As far as I know, can't do that with Pandora. The quality is better on Spotify than it is on youtube. Additionally, the band/label would receive money for using Spotify to sample the song/album...youtube wouldn't result in them getting money. Also, you can use Spotify to put songs onto your iPod (assuming it's one of the ones w/ internet), so you can save space on your computer. Lastly, it gives recommendations for similar artists, so you can spend plenty of time finding new bands.

I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy the shit out of this as much as I am. I love that I can stream these songs literally instantly and with such a large collection, it's unbelievable, and I feel like I can finally keep up with new releases or old artists easily .... though... is the music censored?

That's a shame. This is the first music program to actually make me want to pay for digital music.

Yea I can see the appeal and I'm not knocking it at all. Seems like a cool service for many. For me though this service is nothing that I need or interests me. Thats what my 1 TB compact flex drive is for.

I don't like relying on other sites to store ANYTHING For me. I like my own personal drives for that.

Here's a question that has stopped me from trying services like this. How does one "stream" it to my stereo receiver so that I can play it on my big system? Do I need a special type of receiver?

Here's a question that has stopped me from trying services like this. How does one "stream" it to my stereo receiver so that I can play it on my big system? Do I need a special type of receiver?
Really depends on what you have in your house. In essence, if you have a mechanism for streaming music from your PC to your stereo, you can use Spotify. There are a number of ways to do this... various PC options, PS3, Xbox, Squeezebox, Sonos, etc. Also, if you are using your phone to stream music, you could connect your phone to your head unit.

I don't like relying on other sites to store ANYTHING For me. I like my own personal drives for that.

That's a fair argument, and it's the biggest reason why I avoid all the other cloud services like the plague. The thought of losing my library because apple decides to shut down iCloud-- no thanks.

I use Cloud storage technologies to store things I want to access from anywhere, not as a primary storage ideal. If I ended up with Google Music, I'd certainly put my music on it, for example, but I wouldn't rely on it.

As it is, if you use Steam, you understand just how AMAZING it is to have your games a click away with saves in the cloud for any computer you happen to be sitting at.

I use Cloud storage technologies to store things I want to access from anywhere, not as a primary storage ideal. If I ended up with Google Music, I'd certainly put my music on it, for example, but I wouldn't rely on it.

As it is, if you use Steam, you understand just how AMAZING it is to have your games a click away with saves in the cloud for any computer you happen to be sitting at.

Steam rules.

That's not what the service is for man. I have all my music stored securely on two different HDs. I also have it stored on Google Music so that I can access it anywhere without taking a harddrive with me where ever I go. Ease of access is the service being offered, not storage.

That's a fair argument, and it's the biggest reason why I avoid all the other cloud services like the plague. The thought of losing my library because apple decides to shut down iCloud-- no thanks.

Something we surely agree on here. That's always been my concern. I just do not trust others to handle my digital storage for me. At a time when you can get small compact 2 TB flex/external drives at a reasonable price it just seems the logical avenue for me. I keep a mirror of my internal HD on my external as well.

I do see the appeal here especially for those that are in search for new music. Its very seldom that I do not know about a band (in the genres I like) so the service is of no use to me.

That's not what the service is for man. I have all my music stored securely on two different HDs. I also have it stored on Google Music so that I can access it anywhere without taking a harddrive with me where ever I go. Ease of access is the service being offered, not storage.

Hasn't mp3 players and ipods already made accessing music easy enough? Perhaps I am misunderstanding and you mean ease of finding new music?

If thats the appeal than I can surely see why it attracts people. I find enough new bands/music on my own and don't need a program helping me...but I dont compare me to others as having a music media platform (radio show) has gained me access to many bands, labels, and managements.

Excuse my questions if they seem dumb I am just out of touch with all these programs, and apps nowadays. In that sense I am an old geezer haha. I do not own an ipod, mp3 player, and still bring a wallet of CD-R's with me when I travel. :headbang:

Hasn't mp3 players and ipods already made accessing music easy enough? Perhaps I am misunderstanding and you mean ease of finding new music?

I think you understand that system well, you just don't personally have a need for it.

Yes, while storing all of your music on a single computer-searchable disk makes accessing music much easier than CDs, Spotify takes it even a leap beyond that. It's something you really need to try to fully understand the difference. When that thread about Ghost popped up, I was listening to their album in literally 5 seconds through Spotify. Then when people talked about comparisons to Mercyful Fate, I could again listen for myself in just seconds. Yes, I could have gone to MySpace or YouTube in the hopes of finding the same stuff for music that's not on my hard drive, but Spotify is more complete (you can listen to an entire album, skipping through songs as if they were stored locally), and just way faster. 20 seconds to search via Google and stream a song doesn't sound a whole lot different than 5 seconds via Spotify, but qualitatively it changes everything, giving you the feeling that everything *is* truly available at your fingertips.

I've already used it to listen to a dozen albums from bands I knew about but had never listened to before simply because it was never as easy to sample them as it is with Spotify.

I'm going to see Balkan Beat Box tonight, and right now I'm listening to their two albums that I don't own.

For a younger person who hasn't spent years accumulating a collection of music they own like most of us old farts, I imagine the idea of suddenly having all (ok, most of!) the world's music at your fingertips is even more alluring.

Neil

the_more_you_know.jpg