Spotify to launch in the US this week!!!

Well, I've been checking this out today - and I definitely can see a use for myself. I don't envision myself using it to stream music just to listen - but I think it's an awesome tool for listening to new music and deciding whether or not to buy. Of course, seems some of the stuff I looked for today (Souls at Zero, Killing Touch as examples) they didn't have. But still a nice tool to have. Thanks for the invite Aki!

I also joined it and found it to be great although it was a bit different for me as I use ubuntu and it's not really supposed to run on that platform but there was a walk thru of how to run it and it worked like clockwork. The only problem I have is that I have uploaded the local mp3s and they are supposed to be able to playback as well but it says file format not supported when you try to play them. Cant really figure out why at the moment not that it's that important.

Looks like Spotify is getting a nice kick-start in the USA...

Billboard's Bill Werne: Spotify Gained 70,000 U.S. Subscribers in First Week

In my travels last night and in emails this morning I had three distinct label/publisher execs confirm the same number: that @Spotify has right in the ballpark of 70,000 paid Stateside subscribers after only one week in business. It's hard to put these numbers into context, but it would also be hard to call that anything but positive news for Spotify.

Read rest of the article here

I also joined it and found it to be great although it was a bit different for me as I use ubuntu and it's not really supposed to run on that platform but there was a walk thru of how to run it and it worked like clockwork. The only problem I have is that I have uploaded the local mp3s and they are supposed to be able to playback as well but it says file format not supported when you try to play them. Cant really figure out why at the moment not that it's that important.

I had the same problem. Couldn't find a solution. Just keep your local files in Banshee or Rhythmbox. They both sync to iwhatevers.

So a question for you Spotifiers. I've been using it for the past couple weeks checking out new stuff - and something I wanted to know. Where does Spotify get their music? Do they only have certain labels? I've looked for bands like Artizan but can't find, but a CD that isn't out yet (Torchbearer) was on Spotify. What is the rhyme and/or reason? Does anyone know?

Just curious on why I can find some stuff but not others.

I think record labels and distribution companies ultimately handle how to get an artist on Spotify.

As far as Artizan goes, well, things will change in a few days. ;)

So a question for you Spotifiers. I've been using it for the past couple weeks checking out new stuff - and something I wanted to know. Where does Spotify get their music? Do they only have certain labels? I've looked for bands like Artizan but can't find, but a CD that isn't out yet (Torchbearer) was on Spotify. What is the rhyme and/or reason? Does anyone know?

I thought that spotify gets their music from other spotify users? Because doesn't it Spotify grant shared access of your Itunes library etc to other users so that everyone has access to those CDs?

no. It's not peer to peer. It's like Napster or Real Rhapsody only you have unfettered access to the entire catalog of music on the service for free. Only difference between Spotify and Napster/Rhaspody is that I haven't found a way inside the program to download music off of it. You can't buy it that I've found outside of paying the 10 a month for premium while lets playlists available offline.

no. It's not peer to peer. It's like Napster or Real Rhapsody only you have unfettered access to the entire catalog of music on the service for free. Only difference between Spotify and Napster/Rhaspody is that I haven't found a way inside the program to download music off of it. You can't buy it that I've found outside of paying the 10 a month for premium while lets playlists available offline.

but the large musical catalog comes from folks like you and me right? not actual bands putting their cds on spotify?

Swedish Torchbearer? Dude that came out in April. Anyways, if Spotify was peer to peer, nobody would be making a fuss about it and it would've gotten shut down a long time ago. But the beautiful thing about Spotify is that it's 100% legal and in the coming months we will see more records available on there.

Actually, Spotify was STARTED in the first place by Swedish major labels.

Incorrect. As was stated above, Spotify is not peer to peer.

The albums do not come from "us." They come from labels, distributors, and the bands themselves.

Oh okay, just curious though, why did Spotify want to import my itunes Library when I first signed up? Is that just for MY use, in case I wanted to stream my own collection?

I guess the reason I thought that wasn't the case Harv, is because I've seen so many small label bands on Spotify, even a couple of days after their released date, and I didn't think the small market labels would be wanting that at all.... I'm happy they are :), but I didn't think this many labels would be jumping on the spotify bandwagon.

What you say makes sense Harv, I just couldn't comprehend so many labels doing this, which is why I thought these bands were coming from more of a peer to peer type setup.

Thanks for clarifying!

Yes, it's just for your own use to consolidate all your music. And again, why wouldn't labels want that? They get PAID per stream.

Swedish Torchbearer? Dude that came out in April. Anyways, if Spotify was peer to peer, nobody would be making a fuss about it and it would've gotten shut down a long time ago. But the beautiful thing about Spotify is that it's 100% legal and in the coming months we will see more records available on there.

Actually, Spotify was STARTED in the first place by Swedish major labels.

The only downside of Spotify I guess is that if the labels start coming to the conclusion that they aren't making enough money with the bands being on Spotify, and then all start pulling out. That could be the beginning of the downfall of Spotify
but it is fun to enjoy it why it lasts.. :)

Why would they do that? It costs them nothing to put it up on Spotify. And they probably don't make a ton of money (unless it's a major indie like Century Media or Nuclear Blast), but to turn down free money is just silly. Spotify has been available in Europe since 2007-8, and has only gotten more popular since then. I've never heard of anyone pulling out from it.

Yes, it's just for your own use to consolidate all your music. And again, why wouldn't labels want that? They get PAID per stream.

Thanks AeronicSlumber. I can't believe I'm such an idiot thinking the collection was coming from us, LOL....I guess it seemed to good to be true otherwise.

Regarding them getting paid per stream, that's what worries me. I hear that the amount is an incredible microscopic amount they get paid? That's the part that worries me. I guess as long as CD purchases don't start taking a sudden plunge as well due to spotify, then maybe we will be okay.....

Why would they do that? It costs them nothing to put it up on Spotify. And they probably don't make a ton of money (unless it's a major indie like Century Media or Nuclear Blast), but to turn down free money is just silly.

So this makes me wonder as well, If I want to make some of our smaller labels more money I can just keep streaming the album over and over again? and they get paid everytime I stream it?

They must also have a way to recognize if I sream only a few seconds or if I stream the whole song...

The only downside of Spotify I guess is that if the labels start coming to the conclusion that they aren't making enough money with the bands being on Spotify, and then all start pulling out. That could be the beginning of the downfall of Spotify
but it is fun to enjoy it why it lasts.. :)

And, IF some of the labels decide not to PASS ON the per stream royalties that get paid out by the aggregators. The bands depend on the labels paying a percentage of the two cent per stream (or whatever it is) to the songwriter/band. That is, if you are on a label.

That much I couldn't tell you, only Spotify knows.

Hehe, at least now that I know that they get paid everytime I play a band's song, I can just keep playing the same album over and over like crazy, knowing they get paid everytime I play it. That's pretty cool... Of course I'll focus that on the really smaller labels.