Spotify to launch in the US this week!!!

FACEPALM-Copy.jpg

In all seriousness, it's not that bad. Plus, the player is light as hell. Totally worth the install. Beats Pandora big time. Give it a chance.

Maybe...but honestly, I play Pandora a lot on my phone at work and my iPod in my car...I very rarely sit at my home PC and listen to music.

Maybe...but honestly, I play Pandora a lot on my phone at work and my iPod in my car...I very rarely sit at my home PC and listen to music.

I hear you. If you like/don't mind the fact that Pandora will basically create the playlist/radio for you and only give you so many "skips", then you might as well stick to it. One of my favorite things about Spotify is that I can choose which song/album by whatever artist to play here in the office. Plus, I don't need to bring my spare hard drive to access the music anymore - a lot of it is on Spotify. I like to be in control of my player. That alone is worth to me. :)

Seems like Century Media, my favorite label for metal, has stupidly decided to not use Spotify for its releases until it can work out a better deal. What a massive bummer.

Here we go:

Blabbermouth said:
Century Media and its associated labels — InsideOutMusic, Superballmusic and People Like You — have decided to pull their repertoire from streaming music service Spotify in an attempt "to protect the interests of their artists."

The U.S. version of Spotify, which gives its users access to all the songs in its cloud to organize into playlists and listen to as they please, has reportedly attracted 1.4 million registered users so far in spite of its current invite-only status. Of those users, roughly 175,000 are said to be "paying users." In Europe, where Spotify has been available in seven countries since its launch in 2008, the company currently has around 1.6 million paying users, according to published reports.

According to the an infographic on the Information Is Beautiful web site, which visualizes the different monetization methods available to artists and how profitable they are, if you are a solo musician, at $0.00029 per play on Spotify, you will have to receive 4,053,110 plays per month to earn the U.S. minimum wage of $1,160.

In a statement released earlier today, Century Media explained its position by saying, "While everyone at the label group believes in the ever-changing possibilities of new technology and new ways of bringing music to the fans, Century Media is also of the opinion that Spotify in its present shape and form isn't the way forward. The income streams to the artists are affected massively and therefore that accelerates the downward spiral, which eventually will lead to artists not being able to record music the way it should be recorded. Ultimately, in some cases, it will completely kill a lot of smaller bands that are already struggling to make ends meet. At the same time, Century Media also believes that Spotify is a great tool to discover new music and is in the process of reintroducing their bands to Spotify by way of putting up samplers of the artists. This way, fans can still discover the great music released by the label.

"Physical sales are dropping drastically in all countries where Spotify is active. Artists are depending on their income from selling music and it is our job to support them to do so. Since the artists need to sell their music to continue their creativity, Spotify is a problem for them. This is about survival, nothing less, and it is time that fans and consumers realize that for artists it is essential to sell music to keep their heads above water.

"Obviously, it is ultimately up to the music fan and consumer how they access their music, whether it is buying, streaming or stealing. There needs to be awareness, though, that how you will consume your music has direct consequences for the artists, who we are all trying to support."

Up until this point they were my favorite label, their business decisions were always cutting edge. I have to say though, this is a massive disappointment, and I don't agree with their statement. Oh well, I do hope eventually things turn around for the better!

Time to learn to adapt and go back to supporting your bands on tour, I think.

wut

So how much do those same artists make on the sale of a single CD? How much does the record label make per that same CD?

It's dependent on the number of streams. If you want to know how much of the spotify income goes to the label vs the band, that's something determined on a deal by deal, label by label basis. However, the industry standard for artist royalties, digital or physical, is 15%. That being said, I've seen 50/50 deals, and 10% with no recoupment responsibilities for advances deals. I've also seen "progressive royalty" deals, where the royalty rate increases after recoupment of advances.

I applaud Century Media for taking a stand and sticking up for their artists. While I think Spotify has some excellent points and I have actually used it and enjoyed it, I don't think it's going to be a viable source of income for labels/bands unless something changes.

I can understand what Metalsucks is saying that Century Media is losing a good way to promote their bands. I would like to see the data CM says sales go down in Spotify territories. Maybe they pulled their bands to find a way to work with Spotify better. I know since I started using Spotify a few weeks ago, my CD sales have gone *up* because I am finding more bands.

It's possible to that Spotify can get more poeple on board, whether it's signing deals for advertisements, picking up sponsers etc...... Then perhaps Spotify can afford to pay out more per stream....I recently read an article where Warner Brothers said they were happy with Spotify.....I think Century Media will be back. I don't think their sales will go up just because they pulled out of Spotify. If anything it might anger people and hurt their sales.....

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I will say though that both sides make excellent points.

Really? Initially I was giving CM the benefit of the doubt, assuming that there are some real visionaries and industry experts there who thought long, hard, and logically about the situation and had come up with a strategic plan that would benefit them in the long run. But assuming that email to metalsucks was real, it reveals them to actually be nothing more than some pouting reactionary kids who have never even *seen* a serious discussion about music in the Internet age.

I think Vince is a little too sanguine about the ability of artists to monetize touring/merch, but in general he's spot-on. CM keeps talking about suddenly being unable to pay the bills, but it's not like everyone in the world switched from buying CDs to Spotify immediately. In fact, I've heard claims here for years about how metal fans will always want the "real thing".

It's possible to that Spotify can get more poeple on board, whether it's signing deals for advertisements, picking up sponsers etc...... Then perhaps Spotify can afford to pay out more per stream....

Yeah, I would imagine the assumption most labels have is that as the streaming market matures, and as Spotify switches from growing market share into turning that market share into paying customers, then the payouts will increase. As I said before, if everyone stops buying CDs and gets their music through Spotify subscriptions instead, that would represent near-record revenues for the industry. So maybe CM is figuring that they can hold out until the payout rates increase, and then hop back in. But I would almost think Spotify would have some kind of restriction against that. "What? You ditched us when we were trying to build up a mass audience for this thing, and now you want to waltz back in once the going is good? Naw, you can fuck right off! (or at least wait a year until you see the increased payouts that everyone who was here from the beginning is seeing)"

I recently read an article where Warner Brothers said they were happy with Spotify....

That's one of the strangest things about this, that the frickin' majors are somehow OK with it, but CM isn't. CM was onboard (and still is) with the low-paying (relative-to-iTunes) eMusic long before the majors half-assedly came aboard, so that was a case where CM was happy with payouts that weren't good enough for the majors. Maybe the majors were able to negotiate much better payout rates from Spotify than CM? Still, as a negotiating tactic, I would imagine that Spotify would say "who are you again? Century Media? Oh, sorry, we didn't even notice that you'd left. So hell no we ain't gonna pay you anything more if you come back!"

Neil

That's one of the strangest things about this, that the frickin' majors are somehow OK with it, but CM isn't. CM was onboard (and still is) with the low-paying (relative-to-iTunes) eMusic long before the majors half-assedly came aboard, so that was a case where CM was happy with payouts that weren't good enough for the majors. Maybe the majors were able to negotiate much better payout rates from Spotify than CM? Still, as a negotiating tactic, I would imagine that Spotify would say "who are you again? Century Media? Oh, sorry, we didn't even notice that you'd left. So hell no we ain't gonna pay you anything more if you come back!"

Neil

Yea, the link below pretty much says what you just said regarding attracting more paying customers.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/05/business/la-fi-ct-warner-music-earns-20110805

Really? Initially I was giving CM the benefit of the doubt, assuming that there are some real visionaries and industry experts there who thought long, hard, and logically about the situation and had come up with a strategic plan that would benefit them in the long run. But assuming that email to metalsucks was real, it reveals them to actually be nothing more than some pouting reactionary kids who have never even *seen* a serious discussion about music in the Internet age.

I thought that some of the "attacks" made by CM were a bit uncalled for, but to be fair, I think also that who ever wrote that was probably one of the CM Europe dudes (since nobody in the US says "mates") and probably doesn't understand how big MetalSucks is over here. If he thought it was some asshole, snot-nosed blogger, and not a serious tastemaker in the scene, I would understand the attitude a bit. The people who buy the adverts that MS sells are not employees of CM Europe. Also, please don't assume they are not music industry visionaries. They know exactly what they're doing man. We have no idea who at the label actually wrote that statement.

That said, I felt like they still made fair points. They have a mail order service, which spotify could threaten. There are alot of things about the way alot of labels are doing things that could be threatened by spotify. There is no such thing as a perfect system. Will CM turn around when spotify takes off? Yeah of course. And like I said earlier, I'm still bummed at this stance. I don't agree with it in the sense that I'd rather my stuff be on spotify and give fans a legal, profitable channel to get my releases than to force them to scour the torrent scene, but I agree with their perspective. They have huge overhead standards, etc, that need to be met. They are not a little office with 5 people like Nuclear Blast USA is.

Curiously enough, Earache Records feels exactly the opposite of Century Media:

Blabbermouth said:
Earache Records has teamed up with popular music streaming service Spotify to give rockers and metalheads instant access to a huge library of killer tunes, all of which are completely free to listen to.

Earache's entire music catalog is available now on Spotify, featuring over 3,500 tracks from some of the most legendary names in rock and metal, including such classic acts as AT THE GATES, CARCASS, MORBID ANGEL, DEICIDE and NAPALM DEATH, along with the latest releases from some of the hottest new bands such as EVILE, RIVAL SONS, WORMROT and many more.

To listen to the entire Earache music catalogue, just head to this location (Spotify account required)

Earache's Spotify catalogue is a great place to listen to your favorite bands and also to find new music, and it's always being updated, so keep checking back for the latest releases.

Century Media and its associated labels — InsideOutMusic, Superballmusic and People Like You — announced yesterday that they have decided to pull their repertoire from Spotify in an attempt "to protect the interests of their artists."

The U.S. version of Spotify, which gives its users access to all the songs in its cloud to organize into playlists and listen to as they please, has reportedly attracted 1.4 million registered users so far in spite of its current invite-only status. Of those users, roughly 175,000 are said to be "paying users." In Europe, where Spotify has been available in seven countries since its launch in 2008, the company currently has around 1.6 million paying users, according to published reports.

According to the an infographic on the Information Is Beautiful web site, which visualizes the different monetization methods available to artists and how profitable they are, if you are a solo musician, at $0.00029 per play on Spotify, you will have to receive 4,053,110 plays per month to earn the U.S. minimum wage of $1,160.

In a statement released earlier today, Century Media explained its position by saying, "While everyone at the label group believes in the ever-changing possibilities of new technology and new ways of bringing music to the fans, Century Media is also of the opinion that Spotify in its present shape and form isn't the way forward. The income streams to the artists are affected massively and therefore that accelerates the downward spiral, which eventually will lead to artists not being able to record music the way it should be recorded. Ultimately, in some cases, it will completely kill a lot of smaller bands that are already struggling to make ends meet. At the same time, Century Media also believes that Spotify is a great tool to discover new music and is in the process of reintroducing their bands to Spotify by way of putting up samplers of the artists. This way, fans can still discover the great music released by the label.

"Physical sales are dropping drastically in all countries where Spotify is active. Artists are depending on their income from selling music and it is our job to support them to do so. Since the artists need to sell their music to continue their creativity, Spotify is a problem for them. This is about survival, nothing less, and it is time that fans and consumers realize that for artists it is essential to sell music to keep their heads above water.

"Obviously, it is ultimately up to the music fan and consumer how they access their music, whether it is buying, streaming or stealing. There needs to be awareness, though, that how you will consume your music has direct consequences for the artists, who we are all trying to support."