Star One DVD

James

Feb 27, 2002
Atlanta
www.torquestra.com
So, I'm on my way home from work today, and even though it's Friday, I'm kind of bummed (I was supposed to be at the Metal Gods show tonight, goddamnit!). Anyway, I stop by the local Tower Records, because nightwish58 mentioned in another thread that there was a live Star One DVD. I already had the "Space Metal" CD set, which I learned about from a ProgPower II friend, and I thought it was pretty good. As fate would have it, Tower actually had the "Live on Earth" CD/DVD set in stock, so I snapped it up...and it is KILLER! I would, however, like to say "cheers" to Russell Allen for not indulging in the intergalactic couture -- good call! Bad wardrobe decisions by the rest of the band aside, this is an excellent performance.

I also finally picked up the Nightwish "From Wishes to Eternity" DVD...what can I say? The only thing better than listening to Tarja sing is WATCHING Tarja sing, as we will all find out in September...

Hey James-- 2 Thumbs way up on the Star-One!! I have it on right now-as i get ready to go play tonight. It does wonders for getting 'pumped' to play drums!!! It is kinda funny on the 'back-stage' stuff as they are looking at their stage outfits--like---"I have to wear that?" Besides the clothes--it kicks major ass!!!!!!!!!!

I got it from the Laser's Edge when it came out, and I've loved the live CDs so far. I need to sit my ass down and watch the DVD now. :)

Also, I absolutely love my Nightwish DVDs (Wishes to Eternity Live, and the mini DVD that came w/ Over The Hills & Far Away). I can't wait for the new DVD to come out, and I especially can't wait to see these guys at ProgPower! :)

--Mike

chibitotoro said:
Someone, please clue me in...is that keyboardist a guy or a chick? After watching the DVD twice, I still can't tell.

That is so funny that you say that because I was watching it with my cosuin today, and he had the same question!!! LOL. The funnier part of this story is the fact that I told him, "I have no clue!" However, I think the keyboardist is a guy, but I could be wrong.

My buddy Mark (imagikafan) brought over this DVD last night to show me and I thought it was great!

This is a singers wet dream! All the vocalist are top-notch!

But who's idea was it to wear those outfits. Russell was the only one who obviously said "fuck that"! I'm amazed that someone actually thought those outfits were cool? See what happens when you watch too much Star Trek! ;)

We were also at a total loss about the gender of the keyboardist. It has become the running joke around here. But, nonetheless that dude/dudette was jamming on the key's!

And I loved the fact that the band was cool enough to let someone's grandpa play bass! That's so metal! He was hamming it up having a good old time! That guy rocks! :headbang:

:D

Imagikadrummer said:
And I loved the fact that the band was cool enough to let someone's grandpa play bass! That's so metal! He was hamming it up having a good old time! That guy rocks! !:headbang:

:D

That's funny you mention the bass player: when I first popped the DVD in, I thought "oh my God, it's Roger Glover!!!" When they finally showed him close up, I thought "oh my God, it's Uncle Jed Clampett". I hope I can jam like that when I'm that dude's age...

nightwish58 said:
That is so funny that you say that because I was watching it with my cosuin today, and he had the same question!!! LOL. The funnier part of this story is the fact that I told him, "I have no clue!" However, I think the keyboardist is a guy, but I could be wrong.

His name is Joost Van Den Broek, and he plays in Sun Caged...the duel on Amazing Flight is awesome.

The Star One DVD is very good. It's one of the best music dvds that I've seen. Excellent performances by all, but I was especially impressed by Russell Allen and the Jansen sisters. I really like Floor Jansen's vocals in After Forever, but has anyone here heard Irene Jansen's band Karma? If so, how are they?

-Mark

What's everyone's griping on the outfits? I liked them! And I can tell you there appearently was a very good reason that Russ didn't wear that shirt on the last show when the DVD was shot...and I think it has to do with B.O....(or something)

Cyclopssss said:
And I can tell you there appearently was a very good reason that Russ didn't wear that shirt on the last show when the DVD was shot...and I think it has to do with B.O....(or something)

That and the fact that he looked like a walking Hefty garbage bag. :tickled:

Glenn H.