Stepping Down as Moderator

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I'd like to announce, my intention to step down as moderator of this board. I hope to find a new moderator by the end of the month, or I propose granting derek--a very capable and talented moderator--all moderating duties.

My only requirement if a new moderator is decided upon, is that the moderator be--at the very least--a semi-regular, or regular on this board. I suppose this thread is the best place to vote on a new moderator or decide whether derek alone, will be sufficient.

Even though we clashed at first. I have taken the time to read some of your posts and am usually impressed by them. I hope that you stepping down does not mean you will no longer be posting here.
In regards to voting for a new mod...Do you think that a public vote may sway results if someone takes a lead at first?

I could do it since I have been reading virtually everything written here for several months. Could be best if Derek just does it however. If I was a moderator I wouldn't make my own posts any more extreme - possibly less so if anything. And of course I wouldn't censor anyone for disagreeing with me - only for excessive obcenity, threats, and totally stupid pointless threads. I am not keen or anything - just offering. Mostly I don't want someone overly censorious to get the position.

If it's between Norsemaiden and Justin I'd vote for the former - simply because she seems to be around more often. Incidentally, I just noticed that she has exactly twice his post count, not that it counts for anything.

I usually check the forum multiple times a day, and as a student, always have a computer nearby. My availability wouldn't be an issue.

As far as my take on moderation: It goes without saying that I certainly would never censor something because I merely disagreed with it. The intention of a post is everything in this format. It would be rare for me to take action against an individual post unless it was along the lines of Consuming Impulse's ("I will kill you and rape your mother"), which are purely verbal assaults and are neither thoughtful nor philosophical (unlike Infoterror's jabs).

My main concern would be keeping this forum hospitable to engaged and thoughtful discussion (in this sense, It might be helpful to have a philosophy major as mod). This means that as long as the topic pertains to thinking as such, it belongs here. Otherwise it falls into the category that is its narrow subject (for example, threads like "Thoughts on Film", or "Powerful themes in X movie" are great topics- as the medium acts as a vehicle for thought. In contrast, "Favorite Movie poll" is not appropriate for this board and would be deleted).

Personally, I'd be happy with whoever is chosen to be a mod for the Philosopher section, but there's 2 people who I wouldn't want to see as the next mod here, and that's Consuming Impulse or Me. Being a mod would be pretty cool, but I don't think I'm insightful enough to mod a subforum frequented by people like Norsemaiden or Justin, who are amazing with posting here. It's hard to find holes in their arguments.

If offered the position of Moderator, I wouldn't say No, but I wouldn't say Yes either. Maybe in a few years, after I see more of the outside world, but not yet. A High School student is hardly fit to moderate a philosopher section. I think I'm just not ready to be a mod.

I vote Norsemaiden though, just because I know her better than I do Justin. No offense to Justin or anything.

Justin S, you like philosophy to be pedantic and academised, while being hostile to posts that are relating philosophy to real life (particularly by using examples from current affairs). You appear opposed to applied, living and relevant, philosophy.
Many posts are not in accordance with your narrow definition of pure philosophy. Can we have your assurance that you would express your objections through criticism and not by deleting such posts?:)

infoterror said:
I don't think you should moderate until you understand the contraction of "you are" in alphanumeric symbols.
This is exactly why I didn't toss my hat in the ring. Contractions always fuck me up.

infoterror said:
I don't think you should moderate until you understand the contraction of "you are" in alphanumeric symbols.

Ouch. That's painful.

Actually, I do things like that (and worse) all the time. Spelling is definitely my downfall. I'm pretty sure Justin knows the correct forms of your & you're but sometimes even intelligent people have brain-farts.

speed said:
I'd like to announce, my intention to step down as moderator of this board. I hope to find a new moderator by the end of the month, or I propose granting derek--a very capable and talented moderator--all moderating duties.

My only requirement if a new moderator is decided upon, is that the moderator be--at the very least--a semi-regular, or regular on this board. I suppose this thread is the best place to vote on a new moderator or decide whether derek alone, will be sufficient.

Well Speed, sad to see you step down, youve been great. I'd say Norsemaiden is a good bet - she posts a lot of stuff here and is very proactive in this forum.

Best wishes both.

Nile577 said:
Ouch. That's painful.

Actually, I do things like that (and worse) all the time. Spelling is definitely my downfall. I'm pretty sure Justin knows the correct forms of your & you're but sometimes even intelligent people have brain-farts.

?

Its called a typo, and Im pretty sure Info was taking the piss.

Norsemaiden said:
Justin S, you like philosophy to be pedantic and academised, while being hostile to posts that are relating philosophy to real life (particularly by using examples from current affairs). You appear opposed to applied, living and relevant, philosophy.

This is entirely inaccurate. I have already described what makes "philosophy" and it is the methodology, not the content. We could discuss ball-bearings if pondered ecstatically.

Its ironic that you characterize me that way, as my entire struggle is to dismantle the notion that philosophy is distanced and abstract.

Norsemaiden said:
Many posts are not in accordance with your narrow definition of pure philosophy. Can we have your assurance that you would express your objections through criticism and not by deleting such posts?:)

Actually, my definition is exceedingly broad. Ive already said I would be very mindful of the intent and merits of a given thread/post and would use moderation powers with due consideration.

"one, small step down, for speed ..one large, step up, for this forum" lol