Stepping Down as Moderator

The Bringer said:
The real question is: does Derek come around often enough to be the lone moderator?

He probably could handle it himself if he wanted to (this isnt an extremely active board), but it might be nice having someone else, especially from a time zone nearer to the US.

I'm here all the time, but my lack of posts as of the last couple months has been due to lack of interest in recent topics. I'd be honored to mod, however my lack of posting as of late might not allow it.

Personally, I don't agree with Norsemaiden, or Justin S. as a new mod.

Justin S. said:
He probably could handle it himself if he wanted to (this isnt an extremely active board), but it might be nice having someone else, especially from a time zone nearer to the US.

You do have a point about the time zone. I am just worried incase you have some irrational objections to posts and that you may allow personal annoyance with people (grudges) to cloud your judgement. If you are not going to be that fussy or petty then I am all for you being moderator Justin.

I'd say to elect someone who has absolutely no grudges or personal problems with anyone here.

I'm all for Norsemaiden. She's kept her calm under fire, even when people were insulting, and doesn't appear to act on any grudges she might have (a realist recognizes that no one has no grudges).

Justin S. said:
^ Mod of this board would be a good entry postion to EU Empress, dont you think?

LOL -- good point -- but it's a start.

I saw "Terminator" the other day and kept thinking... from here to Governor of California... strange sometimes wonderful world.

Thanks Infoterror:)
Apparantly there is no reason why both Justin S and me can't be moderators. How about that then?

(I would absolutely never act on a grudge against anyone - 100% guaranteed! And I don't feel like that towards anyone here in any case. Sometimes the best of friends have conflicts of opinion. Making enemies is not advantageous to anyone.)

Erm Speed, why are you stepping down anyway? Seems no-one asked that while recommending themselves and others. I don't see a problem with you as moderator, so is it for personal reasons or something?

Neith said:
Erm Speed, why are you stepping down anyway? Seems no-one asked that while recommending themselves and others. I don't see a problem with you as moderator, so is it for personal reasons or something?

I wasnt going to post in this thread, but, so far, four people have pm-ed me about this.

Why have I decided to step down? Well, I was going to tend to my cabbage garden. However, seeing Bloodswords post, I think I should set up a tetrachy of me, Derek, and Bloodsword. Or perhaps like a good Antonine, I will appoint him my successor. :lol:

I also think its time to get some fresh blood. Being the classical idealist I am, I'd like to see the moderator in this forum, become a rotating or revolving position. I truly think almost every regular here, would do an excellent--and much better than me--job as moderator. I also see no reason why two more moderators cant be elected.

So, how do you guys want to resolve this position? Shall I count all the votes and award the winner? Shall we have two new moderators (top two vote-getters)? Shall we just have Derek? Should I appoint a new moderator? Does anyone else like the idea of revolving moderators? I ask everyone to chime in with opinions and ideas on the subject, as its been rather vague and disorganized thus far, and I suppose I'm to blame for this disorganization.

speed said:
I wasnt going to post in this thread, but, so far, four people have pm-ed me about this.

Why have I decided to step down? Well, I was going to tend to my cabbage garden. However, seeing Bloodswords post, I think I should set up a tetrachy of me, Derek, and Bloodsword. Or perhaps like a good Antonine, I will appoint him my successor. :lol:

I also think its time to get some fresh blood. Being the classical idealist I am, I'd like to see the moderator in this forum, become a rotating or revolving position. I truly think almost every regular here, would do an excellent--and much better than me--job as moderator. I also see no reason why two more moderators cant be elected.

So, how do you guys want to resolve this position? Shall I count all the votes and award the winner? Shall we have two new moderators (top two vote-getters)? Shall we just have Derek? Should I appoint a new moderator? Does anyone else like the idea of revolving moderators? I ask everyone to chime in with opinions and ideas on the subject, as its been rather vague and disorganized thus far, and I suppose I'm to blame for this disorganization.

What does Derek say about it? Revoloving mods might be a bit confusing and you'd maybe be as well having no mods if this was to be the case. I like you as a mod. Sure, you're not perfect but who is? And you have a lot more knowledge about many things than a lot of the other frequent posters.

If you are going to elect new mods then I think either you and Derek should reach an agreement about who it is/they are; put it to an official poll or both.

Neith said:
What does Derek say about it? Revoloving mods might be a bit confusing and you'd maybe be as well having no mods if this was to be the case. I like you as a mod. Sure, you're not perfect but who is? And you have a lot more knowledge about many things than a lot of the other frequent posters.

If you are going to elect new mods then I think either you and Derek should reach an agreement about who it is/they are; put it to an official poll or both.

Thats an intriguing idea. For me and derek to come up with candidates for a new moderator, or just what will be done with moderation in general, and have you guys vote on them?

I really would like to hear everyone who posts here's opinion on what they'd prefer. So please post. So far, there are just two clear-cut candidates with votes and posted pros/cons of both.

Neith said:

I don't like the idea of having no mods in the Philosopher section. At times, it seem slike some discussions are incredibly unstable, and if a mod was not present, then it would just go over the edge.

Ptah Khnemu said:
I don't like the idea of having no mods in the Philosopher section. At times, it seem slike some discussions are incredibly unstable, and if a mod was not present, then it would just go over the edge.

Agreed. Actually, I'm not certain I understand why more than one Mod. would necessarily be problematic, though.

OldScratch said:
Agreed. Actually, I'm not certain I understand why more than one Mod. would necessarily be problematic, though.

Exactly - that is why I made the offer to joinly serve with Justin S. He refuses. What can we conclude from that?

Thank you to my friends: Bloodsword, Hibernal dream, The Hubster and Infoterror for your support.

This is honestly not what I was expecting--these partisan battles. I thought we were all more evolved than that? I dont see how we can make either Norsemaiden or Justin S moderator, without giving the same power to the other. Why? Well it seems both persons, truly dislike each other, and have been engaged in a ongoing battle for months. And I think we all value both of their comments and contributions.

speed said:
This is honestly not what I was expecting--these partisan battles. I thought we were all more evolved than that? I dont see how we can make either Norsemaiden or Justin S moderator, without giving the same power to the other. Why? Well it seems both persons, truly dislike each other, and have been engaged in a ongoing battle for months. And I think we all value both of their comments and contributions.

Its not a "partisan battle" to refute false claims (such as the claim that I refused Norsemaiden's offer- I neither received an offer, nor responded to one)

As far as an "ongoing battle"- this is an exaggeration. I dont think much of Norsemaiden's thought process, but I dont interfere with her posting, or even usually respond to them. I will not, however, allow her to slander me, or make blatantly false statements, unopposed.

Im also confused why you think philosophy is the business of "getting along". It is the pursuit of thinking and is "personal" to the extreme. Only when thinking is not taken seriously does it have the character of altruism. Others around me shape my world via thought. I hold them accountable for this.

Reactions: Blowtus