The MANILLA ROAD thread

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Ok, so in the Sanctuary thread, I brought up Manilla Road, and Zod asked me to recommend a disc. That thread has gone so far off topic, that i didn't want to take it further off topic.

It's no secret that Manilla Road are one of my favorite underground cult metal bands of all time. I honestly first discovered them early 2006 when they were announced for the first ALEHORN OF POWER Festival in Chicago. I had heard "of" them, but hadn't really checked them out.

The best way to describe MANILLA ROAD is epic traditional metal. What makes them unique is that throughout their career, they have also incorporated prog, doom, and even thrash into the mix!

They have a very extensive catalog, so I will recommend some highlights of their career which, if you choose, you can use as a starting point for checking them out.

Classic Metal mixed with Prog
Invasion
Metal

(Note, these are MR's first two full lengths

Straight up epic true traditional metal
Crystal Logic
Open The Gates
Mystification

Thrash!
Out Of The Abyss

Heavier Traditional Metal
Atlantis Rising
Gates of Fire

This is certainly not their complete discography.
Though, if this band seems appealing to you, you have some frame of reference in terms of what to expect musically by genre.

Their CDs keep getting harder and harder to come by. Best online places, aside from eBay, would be Sentinel Steel or Shadow Kingdom.

Enjoy!!!
If you choose to check em out, I would be happy to hear your thoughts on this band, good or bad.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I'm surprised it took this long to be honest. :lol:

I know it's been mentioned before but do you know what ideal places there are to get their discography? I know sometimes when I've browsed, they're crazily priced.

Great band. I only own Gates of Babylon but have heard several of the others. Epic doom, to me, has always been progressive. Certain followers have stripped it down to being fairly straight forward, but Manilla Road are no slouches on the instruments. I think one of the things that makes them so interesting is that they arrived via psychadelic music, which meant that the 'doom' sound had more of a purpose than any sense of 'true metal' but was about the atmosphere, and their music shows this. While some bands use it merely as a mean to 'be metal' to discuss pulp fiction and their loves for such things, Manilla Road does that while also enhancing the atmosphere beyond what most bands influenced by them have been able to do.

Honestly, the only band that comes close in the later years is Isole, which is a great band.

Actually Ironsword comes very close to aping the traditional MR sound to a tee even the vocals are very close to Mark the Shark. I like some MR albums and songs but their recent albums are almost unlistenable for me due to the horrendously bad production jobs which is almost laughable to be honest. Plus the songs have no hooks at all these days cause Mark Shelton is doing very few vocals and they got a growler in instead. I think Crystal Logic and Mystification are their two best albums. Of their more recent albums Atlantis Rising is one I actually own and like quite a bit as the production is at least heavy and crunchy plus Mark is still singing his amazing melodies rather than growling. Love this tune which segues into the awesome pounding yet atmospheric March of the Gods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheiron - Very good description of their sound.
I agree too. These guys ARE the real deal when it comes to incorporating prog and doom into their brand of metal.

Simon - Try Sentinel Steel or Shadow Kingdom. They would have their stuff at the most reasonable prices, if they have any in stock. Their stuff sells out quick everywhere. That's why it's hard to find a disc of theirs on ebay for less than $15 or $20. Not a band you will find a used CD of for $5 ,that's for sure. If you do though, grab it quickly!

I think Crystal Logic and Mystification are their two best albums.

My two favorites as well.

I agree about their newer ones, which is why in my original post, I didn't even recommend VOYAGER. Though, I have seen many youtube clips of Brian "Hellroadie" performing the classics live, and he does a fine job.

Just to let everyone know, High Roller Records has released the LP and SKR has released the CD of After Midnight Live, which is Manilla Road's live radio recording back in '79..and Jason I have it and its killer!

MANILLA ROAD - After Midnight Live
SKR035CD
Release Date: April 27, 2010
CD
$12.00
Manilla Road, the grandfathers of Epic Heavy Metal are truly a remarkable band in the history of Heavy Metal. This release marks a time period before the break out of their first album "Invasion". These 5 songs mark the 2nd half of their very long radio show on a cold, snowy night in the winter of December 1979. Luckily the 2nd half of the show has all the unreleased Manilla Road songs fans are dying to hear. These songs represent the "Invasion" sound and the start of one of the greatest Heavy Metal bands in the history of Heavy Metal. There's 5 Epic songs, transferred straight off the master tapes untouched, raw, and with antique charm.

1. Chromaphobia
2. Life's So Hard
3. Pentacle Of Truth
4. Dream Of Peace
5. Herman Hill

there are better traditional metal albums out there....you just havent heard them yet.....I will school you.

It's all subjective.

It's not like you have heard EVERY trad metal album ever. Neither have I.

School me? You have never even heard Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction" :lol:

Bottom line, everyone has favorites. Point of this thread is Manilla Road, so I know you won't have more to add than "You saw them once and were bored to tears"