The new Edguy album!! Edguy's metal days are over!!

There's a huge difference between taking yourself seriously and taking your music seriously. When you're writing songs like "Lavatory Love Machine", you no longer take your music seriously.

Zod

Haha. If you've been to any of the last two NYC Edguy shows, you'll know that there's a few of us fans who are even LESS serious than the band. :)
I think Tobi almost blushed this past show, hahaha!

I just picked up the new Edguy disc... I am a HUGE Edguy fan, LOVE them live.. and I've only spun the CD once...

all I can say is that my ears haven't accepted it yet... and how utterly upset I am that I can't sit here n' say how much I love the disc even tho it's not the Hellfire or VGO Edguy... I dug Rocket Ride!!! There are some great tunes on that disc!!! Asylum is one of my fave Edguy tunes... But right now I'm just fighting to like a song off TS.. :cry:

Here's to hoping the next go round it grows on me a little.. I sooo want to like it!!!!! I LOVE Edguy but right now I'm :ill:

I've been spinning this all weekend trying to digest what's going on. In my opinion, it's going to be tough for this band to top both Mandrake and Hellfire Club. In my opinion, Edguy is following in the foot steps of Kiske era Helloween. It seems that Edguy's Keepers albums are both Mandrake and Hellfire Club. Then after that they seem to be goofing off in the studio and it's really taken a toll on the quality of their music from the sounds of their latest effort. :erk: I'm going to have to back up and agree with Zod here. The band is just not taking their studio time and writing serious enough lately. As a result, they made a CD full of uninspired, effortless garbage. The song writing and production is below weak! This pains me to say, because I love this band dearly. At best, this is a two out of five star effort. :erk:

~Brian~

I got "Sanctus" about 3 weeks ago and have listened to it about a dozen or so times. I found it to really grow on me after about the 3 time through. I noticed myself singing some of the choruses and humming the melodies during the day and going "hey, that's a pretty kick ass singing line." I do think the Production is somewhat weak on it, but as for songwriting, I quite enjoy the CD.

I've been spinning this all weekend trying to digest what's going on. In my opinion, it's going to be tough for this band to top both Mandrake and Hellfire Club. In my opinion, Edguy is following in the foot steps of Kiske era Helloween. It seems that Edguy's Keepers albums are both Mandrake and Hellfire Club. Then after that they seem to be goofing off in the studio and it's really taken a toll on the quality of their music from the sounds of their latest effort. :erk: I'm going to have to back up and agree with Zod here. The band is just not taking their studio time and writing serious enough lately. As a result, they made a CD full of uninspired, effortless garbage. The song writing and production is below weak! This pains me to say, because I love this band dearly. At best, this is a two out of five star effort. :erk:

~Brian~

I'd add Theater of Salvation to that list. This new one is the FIRST Edguy CD I didn't really take to on the first listen. The first song ROCKS and is fairly heavy. But, I didn't like anything after that!!

Chris :headbang:

I'd add Theater of Salvation to that list. This new one is the FIRST Edguy CD I didn't really take to on the first listen. The first song ROCKS and is fairly heavy. But, I didn't like anything after that!!

Chris :headbang:

exactly my thoughts! I had high hopes after the first track but it was straight downhill after that.

I must have different eardrums than some of you - I fucking love this disc. I wasn't expecting Hellfire Club II or Mandrake The Sequel.....and I'm glad. It took a few spins, but this is great hard rockin' stuff. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

I can see where some people like this album, but in most every way it is the weakest album they've ever done. Guitar parts are largely uninteresting, melodies are rehashed, Tobias' voice sounds like he may have damaged it (seriously, compare the recent stuff he's done to the earlier stuff...he's lost range and sounds increasingly strained)...its disappointing. The most striking thing about the album is the production. They went for a totally different guitar sound and in a way I think that's pretty cool. The last couple of albums really bored in that department.

On the other hand, The Scarecrow really grew on me after a while (well half of it anyway), but i've already given Sanctus quite a few runs. It has its catchy moments, but I just don't feel like listening to it. Meanwhile I can't count how many times i've listened to Theater of Salvation or Mandrake and still will.

Maybe Todias should stick with AVANTASIA:
"Tinnitus Sanctus", the new album from German melodic metallers EDGUY, sold around 600 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The CD debuted at No. 88 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

The most striking thing about the album is the production. They went for a totally different guitar sound and in a way I think that's pretty cool. The last couple of albums really bored in that department.

This statement is a great illustration of how differently we all perceive things around here. I'm not putting you down for that by the way, but it's just an observation.

~Brian~

This statement is a great illustration of how differently we all perceive things around here. I'm not putting you down for that by the way, but it's just an observation.

~Brian~

Well yeah...the guitar tone isn't one I would emulate or anything, but at least its different. So many metal albums in these genres have had such similar sounding production and guitar sound in recent years its fucking boring, especially if you play guitar. I blame Sascha Paeth (and yes I know he produced this album as well).