The new Edguy album!! Edguy's metal days are over!!

No...don't wanna another VGO, ToS, etc. ...but when you fairly abandon the genre that defined you & got you where you are...at some point everybody starts thinking...sellout. Especially when there's better hard rock bands out there to begin with.

Remember its only a sellout if the artist does it purposely for greed purposes. Granted there are artists that have done so in the past (ie. Metallica, Megadeth etc.) but Edguy just hasn't given me that impression at all. Remember little by little since Hellfire Club they've been hinting at this. It wasn't like overnight (Metallica from "Justice" to "S/T"). Sure its not for everyone but isn't that why music has different genres? Can't please everyone.

Ok...so...they've passed on making awesome power metal to make mediocre hard rock?

I don't think so. I loved Edguys power metal phase but I truly like what they've done since then. As I stated before they didn't go from power metal to hard rock overnight. I think what Edguy is doing now shows creativity. If you don't like it there are tons of other bands to like.

But they have given up being creative in the genre that made them. Tons of other bands...sure...especially in the hard rock segment...that do it better than Edguy. But, for those that like mediocre...more power to you.

But they have given up being creative in the genre that made them. Tons of other bands...sure...especially in the hard rock segment...that do it better than Edguy. But, for those that like mediocre...more power to you.

To each their own. Your opinion is in no way wrong, just different than mine. If you think Edguys new direction is mediocre, more power to you. Thats why there are tons of bands to choose from. Have at it.

After one listen, I'm disappointed. Rocket Ride was superior...better hooks and melodies. But then again, while I love the Avantasia albums, and Tobias Sammett is one cool cat, I've never gotten into Edguy as much
shrug2.gif

What do you all think of the bonus disc Live in LA? For being a "freebie" man, this is a great recording. The atmosphere is great, this isn't a shoddy bootleg quality, coughed up at the last second sounding gig. Awesome tracklist too, this is basically a live album tacked on the end. Hell yeah. A disc of brand new bad ass shit, and a sweet ass live show with old stuff like Babylon and Vain Glory Opera.

Creative in the genre that made them? They were a third rate Helloween/Iron Maiden wannabe band. Personally, I think that their last 2-3 cds have shown more of an identity that they can call their own. I can understand liking their older stuff, but it was hardly original.

It's not a bad live CD. However, since I saw Edguy at PPV, I don't think it captures the Edguy experience very well, except in snippets. An Edguy show is as much a standup comedy show as it is a metal show. Only one really funny moment on Live in LA:

"You look good tonight LA!"

(cheer)

"What about me?!"

(louder cheer)

I was gratified that Tobias finally bothered to remember the lyrics to BOTH verses in Avantasia. He forgot part of the song at PPV and in later youtube clips he ends up singing the same verse twice. It was getting to the point where I wanted travel to a show and hand him an Avantasia CD. "No, I don't want you to autograph it, I want you to listen to it."

I get what you mean about the humor but I think it rubbed off for the most part. What I'm really happy about is that even though it is an abbreviated disc (I doubt the concert was exactly one hour) it still has some old school songs and the flow of the disc is well. No fade outs, no obvious overdubbing action, and it's not a tease me please 20 minute EP either. But no it ain't a definitive live snapshot, just a good one.

It's kind of a shame Edguy doesn't take what they do a little more seriously. They've written some of the best Power Metal made in the last ten years. And they sport both a fantastic vocalist and a great lead guitar player. It's a shame that their "stand up" has filtered into their music. Metal and comedy aren't two great tastes that taste great together.

Zod

It's kind of a shame Edguy doesn't take what they do a little more seriously. They've written some of the best Power Metal made in the last ten years. And they sport both a fantastic vocalist and a great lead guitar player. It's a shame that their "stand up" has filtered into their music. Metal and comedy aren't two great tastes that taste great together.

Zod

Spinal Tap? Manowar?

Honestly, one reason why I dig Edguy so much, is that they don't take themselves very seriously. With that said, I don't think it effects the quality of their music. I've always had the impression that they enjoy doing what they're doing.

~Brian~

A good case in point. Manowar is best when their at their least hokey. "Blood of my Enemies", "Black Wind, Fire & Steel", etc.

Zod

Oh & don't forget "Metal Daze", "Shellshock", "Defender" , "Kill With Power", "Thor, The Powerhead" & my two all time fave Manowar songs "Dark Avenger" & "Bridge Of Death":headbang:

Honestly, one reason why I dig Edguy so much, is that they don't take themselves very seriously. With that said, I don't think it effects the quality of their music. I've always had the impression that they enjoy doing what they're doing.

~Brian~
I second that. An Edguy show is always good fun.

There's a huge difference between taking yourself seriously and taking your music seriously. When you're writing songs like "Lavatory Love Machine", you no longer take your music seriously.

Zod

Well, that was just one song on that disc. Both Lavatory Love Machine and Hair Force One are their nods to "cock rock" for us kids that cut our teeth on hair band music. Lighten up Zod! :p I freakin' love those songs!

If I recall correctly, you picked PC69's latest as one of your top picks for 2007. That band isn't exactly doing anything original or creative in my opinion.

~Brian~