The "No B.S." Interview

There were some very specific and hard to find gear requirements - off of the top of my head (not looking at the gear rider) I think it was mainly a Hammond B3. A real one.. with a Leslie rotating speaker (f**king fragile nightmare to transport and make sure it works)..... s**t that was used back in the 70's/ (think Deep Purple key sound). The Leslie has a motor and belt that actually spins two speakers mounted at 180 degrees from each other (looking down, picture the shape of an hourglass) which rotate towards the mic.. makes a specific sound .
It can be replicated with digital keys, and LIVE you would NEVER hear a difference.. hell, even in the studio with the right EQ's and tube preamps, it might be hard to discern the difference..

anyway - from a non keyboard tech - that is part of what I remember...:headbang::kickass:
Wow! props to you. I had one in my old recording stdio, but i would never transport that bloody thing! hahah Who wanted one of those? thats awesome but i cant imagine the need to use one live.

There were some very specific and hard to find gear requirements - off of the top of my head (not looking at the gear rider) I think it was mainly a Hammond B3. A real one.. with a Leslie rotating speaker (f**king fragile nightmare to transport and make sure it works)..... s**t that was used back in the 70's/ (think Deep Purple key sound). The Leslie has a motor and belt that actually spins two speakers mounted at 180 degrees from each other (looking down, picture the shape of an hourglass) which rotate towards the mic.. makes a specific sound .
It can be replicated with digital keys, and LIVE you would NEVER hear a difference.. hell, even in the studio with the right EQ's and tube preamps, it might be hard to discern the difference..

anyway - from a non keyboard tech - that is part of what I remember...:headbang::kickass:

Surprised someone would actually request one. Usually, the bands who want to use such a beast live usually own one.

A little story from the first NEARFest. The band Crucible had a Hammond, as well as plenty of other classic hardware (my understanding is that the guy did service for such beasts as a living.) Well, Spock's Beard borrowed the Hammond for their set. Well, Ryo is a very...demonstrative player and he was rather abusive to that Hammond, shoving it around. I think he ended up breaking one of the keys. After the set, the guy from Crucible came out and you almost thought it was going to lead to blows from the way he was reacting. Understandable, but pretty wild.

Come to think of it, they also wanted an "asskicker"... a relatively new device that requires a special amp (2 ohm if I remember correctly??) , that goes below the drummers seat, and thumps his chair when he hits the drums (I thinmk it is specifically for kick drums). Anyway ... another special piece of gear that was requested.

Come to think of it, they also wanted an "asskicker"... a relatively new device that requires a special amp (2 ohm if I remember correctly??) , that goes below the drummers seat, and thumps his chair when he hits the drums (I thinmk it is specifically for kick drums). Anyway ... another special piece of gear that was requested.

I tried to order an "asslicker" from the gear place and they wanted to charge me double.

I tried to order an "asslicker" from the gear place and they wanted to charge me double.

Come to think of it, they also wanted an "asslicker"... a relatively new device that requires a special amp (2 ohm if I remember correctly??) , that goes below the drummers seat, and licks his asshole when he hits the drums (I thinmk it is specifically for kick drums). Anyway ... another special piece of gear that was requested.

Sometimes, my brain goes to bizarre places.

Yes, you remember correctly. I was the one who moved the leslie cabinet onto the stage. Thank God for wheels! Totally agreed about digital keys - especially live! They were awesome though...

Yup! I remember that too. That seems to be getting more popular among drummers. I'm obviously not a drummer, but I don't get how they even need to hear the kick - good God they control the pedal! Guess I'm wrong since they have such products as the ass kicker.

I totally understand Glenn's perspective on this topic. However, I can't say that all of the fans are that complacent. For example, I may not post threads about ProgPower on all sorts of forums, but that's mainly because I only post on two online forums total: this one and Katagory V's. However, I take the word of mouth route in the literal sense. I tell everyone I know who is into progressive and/or power metal about this festival. I went from going to the first festival alone to making a mandatory road trip with my girlfriend and two of my closest friends each year. Last year, I finally convinced my best friend to attend the festival, and he has since vowed to fly out to Atlanta every year that this show takes place. Hell, I took my now ex-girlfriend to ProgPower III, and she hasn't missed one since! In addition, I've had a handful of other friends attend one or two of these festivals over the years. I feel that I'm doing my part, and I'll continue to do so. My approach just happens to be a little more old-fashioned.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Like Al, I don't really post on many other forums. I used to post on the IGN metal forums since I used to post on their Xbox forums, but I'm not too much of a gamer any more and it seems many of the people on the IGN metal forums are a bunch of self-righteous douchebags. The ProgPower forum is the first music-related forum I've been able to feel "at home" in.

I'm fairly certain I first heard of ProgPower because I saw a t-shirt at a show, and said t-shirt had at least one band on it I thought would have been cool to see. As such, I try to wear my ProgPower X shirt when I go to shows or the rare occasion I go to a bar other than for a show. If I weren't so damned anti-social, I might talk up the fest at said shows. Of course if someone asked me about it, I'd profess my love for the fest. But I'm not the type to start the conversation, sadly.

Other than my wife, I have exactly three friends who are just as into metal as I am. I have been trying to convince one of them since PPX's video announcement of PPXI's bands. I've all but convinced him several times, but he is in sales, money's tight, and travel is frequent. If he could manage to make a business trip out of it, it just might happen. My other two metal-loving friends are married with kids and this kinda trip just isn't in the cards for them. One, incidentally, is longtime friends with CRJ of Chicago Powerfest, so his loyalties may lie elsewhere. Not saying I agree with it, it is what it is.

I have a few more friends of whom I am trying to broaden their metal horizons. I took one of them to a Mindwarp Chamber show and he dug it. Taking him to Maiden and hopefully another Mindwarp show this summer. So there's hope for him some day. He's another married with kids though, so the trip may not be likely.

I totally understand Glenn's perspective on this topic. However, I can't say that all of the fans are that complacent. For example, I may not post threads about ProgPower on all sorts of forums, but that's mainly because I only post on two online forums total: this one and Katagory V's. However, I take the word of mouth route in the literal sense. I tell everyone I know who is into progressive and/or power metal about this festival. I went from going to the first festival alone to making a mandatory road trip with my girlfriend and two of my closest friends each year. Last year, I finally convinced my best friend to attend the festival, and he has since vowed to fly out to Atlanta every year that this show takes place. Hell, I took my now ex-girlfriend to ProgPower III, and she hasn't missed one since! In addition, I've had a handful of other friends attend one or two of these festivals over the years. I feel that I'm doing my part, and I'll continue to do so. My approach just happens to be a little more old-fashioned.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I've done the same. Thanks to your's truly, I got a friend of mine from a metal community on Livejournal to go. She can't make it this year because she has made some major life changes that have sapped her funds, but hopefully we'll see her at the festival again in the future. I'm still trying to convince the rest of the US members of that community to go, but they all whine about expenses. Bah.

And thanks to Al and I, dagny_t, who sometimes posts here, made it out to ProgPower last year for the first time ever. I think DSO playing the fest helped with getting her to come out, though. ;)

So there are a small number of semi-rabid fans who keep trying to convince other people to come to the festival.

I think the major issue is that people don't want to spend lots of $$ for returning bands, but for headliners, its such slim pickings. And the younger bands do not get talked about enough to spread the word. A good upcoming progmetal band barely gets mentioned, and when it does people don't sit there talking about it for weeks/months or basically promoting the band to everybody they think might listen. Without this love, its hard to find bands that the non-attentive festival goer will know of enough to buy tickets.

I think the online culture has changed since ProgPower was started. I think going from mailing lists to forums doesn't get people as tightly coupled to the community as it used to be. Also, the music we love is more readily available to the masses than it used to be.

That being said, I was rocking my PP IX shirt at TSO, and I got into a conversation with a guy as we were walking in about the festival. He was curious about it because Kamelot and Leaves' Eyes were playing and I told him a bit about some of the other bands and the community. Hopefully, he will decide to come.