Top 5 prog metal albums

Postulate

Have a nice day! :)
Jul 17, 2008
I know a lot of threads like this have probably been made, but what spurred me to start this one was that I'm moving soon, and for now can only take with me what will fit in a few suitcases. So I had to decide which CDs from my collection had the most sentimental and listening value, and select just a handful of them.

I have a lot of prog metal CDs - I don't listen to the genre nearly as much as I used to, but I can't separate it from the way I think about music. So I wanted to take a few of them, and it got me thinking what I think the best of them are.

I think my top 5 would have to be:

Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry
Sieges Even - A Sense of Change
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Psychotic Waltz - Into the Everflow
Agora - Segundo Pasado

What are your top 5? Not the most original topic, but this forum's probably been dead for over a year anyway!

not in order :
Operation mindcrime
Perfect simmetry (F Warning )
Tiranny ( S Gallery )
When dream and day unite
The perfect element ( Pain of salvation)

at this moment:

1. Nightingale - Alive Again
2. Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice
3. Oceansize - Frames
4. Dredg - The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion
5. Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane

Honorable mention/may not "count" as 'prog metal':
6. Agalloch - The Mantle
7. Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
8. Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
9. Amorphis - Skyforger
10. Opeth - Blackwater Park
11. Anathema - Weather Systems
12. Leprous - Bilateral
13. Devin Townsend - Terria

I could stop at 13. 13 is a good number.

No I can't.

14. Summoning - Oath Bound.

prog metal by what definitions?

I mean if I can list bands like Summoning, it would be impossible :D
But, I'll go with my own definition I suppose, whatever that is.

I'll also add some commentary. You know, perhaps making things a little interesting ;)
Since it's a "top albums", I must exclude albums with obvious weak parts, like Beyond Twilight - Section X for instance. Extremely inconsistent album, but very good when it's good.
I consider Porcupine Tree, Oceanzise, Ulver and a few others to be 'regular' prog rock, and not really metal. I dunno why, I just draw the line somewhere I guess. Otherwise I'd have to put King Crimson here cuz they can be just as heavy, and in that case I'll just start listing all bands I know.

Candidates, in alphabetical order:
Angra - Rebirth. The album open with Nova Era - a ridicilously catchy powerish metal song. I think Heroes of Sand is a great ballad thingy, too. Other than that, an all-round solid album with no weak spots.
Angra - Temple of Shadows. Another Angra album. This is their proggiest album, for sure. Most songs are very good, but The Shadow Hunter stands out as one of the best songs of Angra.
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors. There's no other album like it. Volatile, explosive, I dunno what to call it. Aggressive? Yet very calculated and with a very well-interpreted steampunk/cosmic theme to it.
Communic - Waves of Visual Decay. Fooled by the Serpent remains a favorite "heavy prog metal" song of mine. The other songs are solid.
Devin Townsend - Terria. Ocean Machine would also be a contender if it wasn't for a couple of songs and the unnecessary loud scream at the very end of the album. Terria is just as varied and unique, but more consistent in quality.
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory. A recent topic on this forum. I think it's one of the best concept albums ever, and a very good album in general.
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian. Their best Arch album.
Fates Warning - Pleasant Shade of Gray. Their best non-Arch album. Would have rated higher if not for the ring sound at the end. Like Ocean Machine I fucking hate unnecessary shit sounds like that.
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness. One long, almost perfect song.
Mechanical Poet - Woodland Prattlers. Like The Sham Mirrors, it interprets a very visual theme. In this case it's Grimm-like fairytales. Amazing vocalist with a million different voices, dynamic and versatile songs, good musicianship, and no non-music fluff. Natural Quaternion is one my favorite songs ever.
Opeth - Deliverance. Almost as good as Blackwater Park.
Opeth - Blackwater Park. Their best album, and the title track is their best song.
Orphaned Land - Mabool. Deserves a mention just cuz how different it is. Instrumental combinations and arrangements never heard before.
Pain of Salvation - Be. Almost didn't put it here, but the proper songs are just so very good (Imago and Iter Impius in particular). The chatter and shit-songs are obviously not good and I always wonder who wants that shit on their music albums.
Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime. Just very, very good. Quite a few 'radio' songs though.
Savatage - Poets and Madmen. Not sure if considered prog, but it's their best album. Man in the Mirror should be a metal classic, and is the ultimate whisky song.
Shadow Gallery - Digital Ghosts. Barker was a great vocalist, but this is Shadow Gallery's best album.
Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars. Wonderful. Not many albums like this.
Symphony X - V. The initial reason why I'm here on this forum.

Current Top 5, as of September 2013.
41Zy6oG98vL._SS500_.jpg

69283.jpg

Angra_Rebirth.jpg

Green+Carnation+-+Light+of+Day_+Day+of+Darkness.jpg

blackwaterpark.jpg

Angra - Rebirth. The album open with Nova Era - a ridicilously catchy powerish metal song. I think Heroes of Sand is a great ballad thingy, too. Other than that, an all-round solid album with no weak spots.
Angra - Temple of Shadows. Another Angra album. This is their proggiest album, for sure. Most songs are very good, but The Shadow Hunter stands out as one of the best songs of Angra.

They're going to release a DVD with Uli Roth and Tarja Turunen as special guests:

Last edited by a moderator:
prog metal by what definitions?

Mostly the traditional definition, I guess - the kind of music that sprung up in the mid to late 80's out of a combination of American power metal, thrash metal, and progressive rock.

The term "progressive" basically has no meaning anymore, but there's definitely a core "prog metal sound" that's easily identifiable. Doesn't matter to me what people put on the lists, though.

Perfect simmetry (F Warning )

More like PERFECT ALBUM

I think At Fate's Hands might be the best prog metal song.

I really don't know. I haven't really listened to many progressive metal albums this year, so any top list I could propose would be based on my views some years ago. I think Edge Of Sanity's Crimson is still a great album to mention something that's not here yet, though.

for me, it would be easier to make a top 5 anything than top 5 prog metal because of how hard it is for me to decide what I regard as prog metal.

I really don't know. I haven't really listened to many progressive metal albums this year, so any top list I could propose would be based on my views some years ago. I think Edge Of Sanity's Crimson is still a great album to mention something that's not here yet, though.
Edge of Sanity is fucking amazing. I didn't include them because I considered them "Death metal". But... yes.
You just learn to put up with Ken. He's a little, "smartest person in the room" type, you know?
:D I won't deny it. I'm an asshole.

& Phanto: Your list is epic & thumbs-up from me.

Definitely not my absolute top 5, but right now it would be:

Chaos Divine - Human Connection
The Ocean - Pelaglial
Karnivool - Sound Awake (more progressive rock than metal but it's so fucking good I'll pretend it's metal so it makes the list)
Leprous - Bilateral
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Edge of Sanity is fucking amazing. I didn't include them because I considered them "Death metal". But... yes.

:D I won't deny it. I'm an asshole.

& Phanto: Your list is epic & thumbs-up from me.
I made the same call on EoS. I almost cut Savatage too, they're kinda regular heavy metal in a lot of their songs.

Regarding your list: I haven't heard Oceansize' Frames. How does it compare to Everyone Into Position (pretty much the one Oceansize album I listen to)?

Regarding your list: I haven't heard Oceansize' Frames. How does it compare to Everyone Into Position (pretty much the one Oceansize album I listen to)?
I haven't ever listened to "Everyone Into Position", but still I'm going to chime in here... pay no attention to me. :D "Frames" is probably their most cerebral album, but one of absolutely stunning beauty. Listen to "Unfamiliar" or "Trail Of Fire" first, they're quite accessible and, more importantly, really really good.

I made the same call on EoS. I almost cut Savatage too, they're kinda regular heavy metal in a lot of their songs.

Everyone Into Position is my other favorite. If you liked that one, you'd like Frames. And maybe the EP.

Savatage was classic once. And Poets & Madmen is a good call.