Top 5 prog metal albums

Symphony X: V
Dream Theater: Awake
Darkwater: Calling the Earth to Witness
Circus Maximus: The 1st Chapter
Sieges Even: Navigating...

ALSO Seventh Wonder, Suspyre, Vanden plas, Evergrey, Zero Hour, Fate's Warning, Queensryche... ( so many great to choose from!) :loco:

I dont listen to many prog metal bands, but for me it would probably be something like this

1. Dream Theater - Awake
2. Symphony X - Symphony X
3. IQ - Ever
4. IQ - Nomzamo
5. Dream Theater - When Dream and day Unite

My bad mates if IQ isnt considered prog metal.

Symphony X - V
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Circus Maximus - Isolate

Symphony X - V
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Circus Maximus - Isolate
Just curious, Ive heard V a couple times and its pretty good, but beyond that I did not find anything special about this album.....why do you like it so much mate?

V is seen as a perfect album by many people here. i'd probably include myself. it just has the perfect balance. in heaviness, softness, dynamics, etc. not one instrument shines throughout the album. it's truly a team effort. a BAND not one person.

The only negative thing I can say about V is the album art could be better. Otherwise, solid all around album with good melodies, good arrangement, pacing, variety, concept.

The only negative thing I can say about V is the album art could be better. Otherwise, solid all around album with good melodies, good arrangement, pacing, variety, concept.
Really? I found the large desert and mirror thing quite interesting in the album art. About the music itself.....it just sounded like usual symphony x to me, like Twilight in Olympus but more....complicated? Actually, Ive heard that much of the V album is actually the Twilight in Olympus song, just separated into multiple parts.....gotta admit I love that though =)

And yet, if they'd just left those garbage sprite people off, it'd be cool:

5efp.png

hi guys, first time posting here, yay

My two cents:
Adagio - Archangels in Black (fav song in this album: "Undead")
Myrath - Hope (every song could be favorite :kickass: )
Nevermore - Obsidian Conspiracy (great album, fav song could be: The Obsidian Conspiracy, amazing riffs)
Orden Ogan - To The End (check out the song "This World of Ice")

And the top band for the last:
Symphony X is my very favorite band of all time so it will be really hard to chose a fav album or song, but if I have to save just 1 CD I guess it will be the album "V" as well. But I will surely put The Odyssey CD into the "V" CD box so I cheat and save both.

BTW, great sugestions in this thread. Keep'em comming!

Nevermore - Obsidian Conspiracy (great album, fav song could be: The Obsidian Conspiracy, amazing riffs)

Awesome band, but no way is that one their best album. Politics of Ecstasy and This Godless Endeavor are much better.

Awesome band, but no way is that one their best album. Politics of Ecstasy and This Godless Endeavor are much better.

yeah, Is just that I like the Conspiracy one better. Those two you've mentioned are great albums too. I agree they are better ranked by most fans.

Nevermore was the worst live show I have EVER seen. Playing right after Symphony X and Psychotic Waltz didn't help either. Good thing they were the last band, so I didn't have to suffer through two hours of indistinguishable drone and instead left after three songs.