Uniting the Powers of Metal: East Coast Roll Call!!!

Thanks for the kind words about The Shield everybody! :D Sorry we're not boring enough for you. Sorry we have fun on stage. Sorry we want people to have fun at our shows. This is fucking METAL. Its about the FUN! Not about standing in the back with your arms crossed like a bunch of boring douchebags.

Thanks for the kind words about The Shield everybody! :D Sorry we're not boring enough for you. Sorry we have fun on stage. Sorry we want people to have fun at our shows. This is fucking METAL. Its about the FUN! Not about standing in the back with your arms crossed like a bunch of boring douchebags.

Its called discretion Nathan. Perhaps it would be wise for you to consider that. You attract more bees with honey than vinegar.

Classic. My ribbing was in good nature, btw. You guys DO have a lot of energy, and after hearing you sing, I actually want to hear your Motley Crue show.

But, you know, if you don't want an old boring douchebag to pay to hear you play, that's cool, too.

This is fucking METAL. Its about the FUN! Not about standing in the back with your arms crossed like a bunch of boring douchebags.

If people are trying to figure out whether or not they're enjoying your performance, I can assure you which side of the fence they're going to land on by calling them douchebags.

You've already alienated me from wanting to check out your band.

I dig The Shield's stuff a lot. No reason to skip out on checking a good band's music for reasons like this. After all this is a genre full of murderers, arsonists, drug addicts, alcoholics, and deviants. Calling unnamed people 'douchebags' is probably on the lower end of the asshole scale.

Look forward to checking you out more. You should hook up with some more local shows -- we have a great scene. Ex: 150 people showing up on Saturday night to see 4 local bands (one of which Hoyt has booked before, Sadistic Ritual, and has improved beyond all belief....a force to be reckoned with for sure).

Kicking off the evening’s festivities were Atlanta locals The Shield. We had witnessed their first live performance at last fall’s Pathfinder Metal Fest, which revealed a band that, errmmmm, was not quite ready for prime time yet. Thankfully, they were significantly improved this time around, with better stage presence and performance all the way around from the newly-bleach blond singer and his cohorts. Their short set of Manowar/Maiden-styled metal included no fewer than three songs with the word “metal” in the title (including an ambitious cover of Manowar’s “Brothers of metal” which didn’t quite work because it’s always tough for singers to cover Eric Adams and because it’s a fairly obscure Manowar tune of which casual fans would likely be unaware).

Nathan, I do not see a single negative comment in this first section; nothing but the truth. Someone who was at both the Pathfinder Metalfest and now this show 9 months later found that you had significantly improved.

And you stated that you like to have fun on stage and then referred to people in the audience as 'boring douchebags'? The writer of this article noted:

Much mirth was derived from audience and other bands by the song about dragons riding motorcycles. Another tune, “Planet Metal,” apparently featured lyrics that name-checked other bands, although I couldn’t quite make out the words to tell for sure.

So even though I was on the door during your entire set, that tells me that enough people were indeed having fun during your show.

THIS you should have expected after losing two drummers in a few months' time:

Musically, things got a bit off-kilter at times, which made sense when the band thanked their essentially fill-in drummer for stepping in to learn songs at the last minute.

And if you think the white Motley Crue t-shirt is doing you any favors as the lead singer of a heavy metal band (as opposed to the Dr Feelgood sleeze-rock band), then as I stated in a private email this morning, you are wrong. You will get critiqued/ribbed for it from a few people as you have here already:

Really, my only criticisms of The Shield this time were that the singer’s white Motley Crue ‘Girls Girls Girls’ tee shirt has to go, and that their sometimes condescending remarks to the audience (“Are you ready for a night of metal? It doesn’t sound like it” “Is that all you’ve got? Man, you guys need to go get drunk”) were unhelpful and out of place. It’s a small crowd and you’re the opener (and hence, not a band people came to see). It’s far more productive to thank the people who did show up early to check out your band than to rebuke them for not being as loud or demonstrative as you might like.

The Shield brought out about 10-12 paying people in the crowd of 75. I often attempt to help the up and coming local acts try to find more of an audience by tacking them onto a bigger show such as this. I could just as easily put any number of other bands on the show if I wanted to sell more than an extra 10-12 tickets.

Yeah, I was trying to help you. But you aren't helping yourself. And in doing so, you're making both of your bands and me look bad. So take a step back, breathe, and think before you bring a knife back into a gunfight. That's the only advice I can offer you at this point.

No reason to skip out on checking a good band's music for reasons like this. After all this is a genre full of murderers, arsonists, drug addicts, alcoholics, and deviants. Calling unnamed people 'douchebags' is probably on the lower end of the asshole scale.

I find that respect is a two way street. The Shield plays to 10 people, and then calls everyone else douchebags for not being into their music.

Dave Mustaine injures his shoulder, apologizes in advance for any screwups caused by his injury to 10,000+ people, and then plays it perfectly.

It's pretty obvious who gives a shit about the people he's trying to reach out to.

If people are trying to figure out whether or not they're enjoying your performance, I can assure you which side of the fence they're going to land on by calling them douchebags.

You've already alienated me from wanting to check out your band.

I didn't want to say it at first reading, but this. And don't forget that I was watching Widow when they played to 3-4 non event/band related people and was still having fun at midnight or whatever time in raleigh. I've never heard of The Shield until now and now I'm not interested in checking them out. Widow wins

So wait a second...

The Shield drew 12 people to the show, put on a fun performance but complained and offended the ones who chose to stay at the bar and wait until they were finished? I think if you can't take criticism or people not into your set, you shouldn't be doing this.

Its about the FUN! Not about standing in the back with your arms crossed like a bunch of boring douchebags.[/QUOTE said:
SO, if someone enjoys a performance and SUPPORTS the local scene as much as they can on a regular basis for years, just because they "stand in back with their arms crossed" and take in the performance as a whole, then they are boring douchebags. Gee! That really gives me the motivation to go out and spend any more money or put any effort into another one.

Self promotion and motivation is one thing. Being arrogant and being careless with words can undue what you have worked hard for years for in an instant.

SIncerely,

An Arm Crossed Douchebag

SO, if someone enjoys a performance and SUPPORTS the local scene as much as they can on a regular basis for years, just because they "stand in back with their arms crossed" and take in the performance as a whole, then they are boring douchebags. Gee! That really gives me the motivation to go out and spend any more money or put any effort into another one.

Self promotion and motivation is one thing. Being arrogant and being careless with words can undue what you have worked hard for years for in an instant.

SIncerely,

An Arm Crossed Douchebag

Hey, despite the comments from the local opener band, thanks for coming to the Uniting the Powers of Metal show in Atlanta. Arm crossed or not, you are A PAYING CUSTOMER who came to support our tour. I appreciate you being there for that man. I hope you enjoyed the show. :)

I think if you can't take criticism or people not into your set said:
I think this is where a lot of young bands and performers get derailed. You are not going to win over everybody. Plain and simple. Those are the people that you need to ignore. Responding to or attacking those individuals is only going to get you into a war of words. In the end, it is the performer that will loose every time.
Criticism from everybody else should be welcomed. It may not be what you want to hear sometimes, but it is offered to help you improve your future performances. It is not generally a personal attack on what it is you are trying to accomplish.
If you respect people enough to want their opinions, the least you can do is respect them enough to receive their opinions.

It blows my mind that the same forum that regularly clamors for Devin Townsend to come back to play the fest is up in arms for someone making a general statement about people looking visibly bored at a concert. Could it have been more tactful? Maybe. Is it a big deal? No. Believe me -- not everyone who plays in a band is 'respectful'. The comments at the show weren't even malicious...how many times have you seen a headlining band tell the crowd to cheer again because the first time wasn't loud enough? Geeze. It's showmanship, nothing more.

And for what it's worth, I ACTUALLY STOOD IN THE BACK WITH MY ARMS CROSSED DURING THEIR SET!!!!! I AM A DOUCHEBAG!!!

Thumbs up to you buddy. I totally agree with you. But hey just wait, when you are on the cover of the magazine suddenly arms will be uncrossed and out to shake your hand and tell you they were always a fan. That is when you know which ones are douchebags.
Or perhaps they just did not like the band...

It blows my mind that the same forum that regularly clamors for Devin Townsend to come back to play the fest is up in arms for someone making a general statement about people looking visibly bored at a concert. Could it have been more tactful? Maybe. Is it a big deal? No. Believe me -- not everyone who plays in a band is 'respectful'. The comments at the show weren't even malicious...how many times have you seen a headlining band tell the crowd to cheer again because the first time wasn't loud enough? Geeze. It's showmanship, nothing more.

And for what it's worth, I ACTUALLY STOOD IN THE BACK WITH MY ARMS CROSSED DURING THEIR SET!!!!! I AM A DOUCHEBAG!!!

We know who Devin Townsend is. We don't know The Shield.

FTR telling a crowd to cheer again cause it wasn't loud enough is nothing like calling a crowd douchebags. I mean I saw the Stone Temple Pilots when they played the midtown festival in 2002 and the lead singer simply said we were boring and told us to have an orgy or something (seriously lol). He didn't call us douchebags (although the band did finish after 30 minutes when it was a 40 minute slot.. dunno if that was planned or not though)

[QUOTE Could it have been more tactful? Maybe. Is it a big deal? No. Believe me -- not everyone who plays in a band is 'respectful'. The comments at the show weren't even malicious...how many times have you seen a headlining band tell the crowd to cheer again because the first time wasn't loud enough? Geeze. It's showmanship, nothing more.

[/QUOTE]

The problem that I have with that is that for a headlining band, most of the fans are there for that band and the expect the band/crowd exchanges. They already have an established fanbase. The prodding is usually done in good taste and is expected and to some degree encouraged.
But for me, this was not the case here. This is a local opening band that was intended to help sell tickets and get a chance for exposure to a larger fanbase. Of the 75, only 12 were there to see you. That leaves 63 there for somebody else. Now for starters, did all of your fans stick around and cheer on the other bands? My hunch says probably not. Then why should you expect that from the other bands fans?
Look, I am not here to argue. And I agree that the comments were not malicious. Definiely not wisely worded, granted. The problem started for me when the douchebag comment was made. If it had been stated that the crowd participation was less than desirable, I am fine with that. But when you start with name calling when you are still trying to establish somewhat of a loyal following. I take that personally and you will loose my support.
I respect the fact that you do not think it is a big deal. I am not here to argue that. You stated your opinion. I stated mine. Time to move on for me.

I know I am late to the party here. I was at the Jaxx show and thought it was friggan AWESOME! Had a blast hanging out with the various bands, plus I FINALLY got to see Seven Kingdoms play (after at least two previous chances that did not work for me - the first being the cancellation of Titon Power Cruise and the second being the poor timing (right before Christmas when I had to go to PA) and subsequent complete sell out of the Blind Guardian show at Jaxx (I tried, despite the Christmas thing, and there was not a ticket to be found ANYWHERE). So it was cool to finally get to see Camden play. Of course, I was stoked to see Creation's End, as well as also getting to see Artizan (and getting a copy of their album). Widow was completely new to me and I was blown away by them. I ended up buying both of their CD's, plus Chris was just a really cool guy that I got to shoot the shit with for a bit of time. I hope I get to see these guys again. I know it is just a few days before ProgPower, but I am still seriously contemplating taking a train up to Brooklyn to see that Creation's End/Voyager show. The opening instrumental act was actually pretty good (although I did not get their name, plus I showed up half-way into their set as I was coming in straight from work that evening). The second band just did not do it for me.

About Adrenaline Mob, say what you want, hate-em or love-em, but to me, I was pretty stoked just to get to see Russel Allen again. I thought they put on a good, straight-up balls-to-the-walls old-school style metal show. I enjoyed the set and ended up buying the EP.

As for all this business with regards to The Shield, hey I am certain worst sins have been committed by bigger bands, but I do agree that it can be taken as poor taste to basically call out anybody that may not be into the set a "boring douchebag". Not exactly the best way to win over new fans there. I agree with the one post, ignore the ones that may not be into the set and concentrate on the ones that are.

Anyway, overall, I thought this was an awesome show. Would've loved to see a bigger turnout, but hey, at least I did my part to support it, despite being on a Wednesday night, and having to be at a meeting that following morning at 9 AM (thank God I only live but 5 minutes from work - less than a mile, so I can at least sleep in somewhat and still make it on time, which I managed to do).

It blows my mind that the same forum that regularly clamors for Devin Townsend to come back to play the fest is up in arms for someone making a general statement about people looking visibly bored at a concert.

If you're talking about me, I could not give 2 fucks on a shit sandwich about Devin Townsend. I can't stand the guy. If he ended up back at Progpower, I would certainly not be caught dead watching his set. I know his whole on stage schick is being a massive asshole, but I don't enjoy that kind of shit in any sense of the spirit it's supposed to be received in. It's disrespectful and disgusting, IMO, and I don't choose to subject myself to such selfish arrogance. No one who pulls this crap is gods gift to music.

I will say, from what I've heard, that DT is actually quite a great guy off the stage and while interacting, so I'll give him that, and I can see why people would get a big kick out of it, and that's fine. I'm sure the room would be filled for a set with him, it just wouldn't have me, and neither will a band that demonstrates arrogance and jackassery OFF the stage as well as on.