Uniting the Powers of Metal: East Coast Roll Call!!!

If you're talking about me, I could not give 2 fucks on a shit sandwich about Devin Townsend. I can't stand the guy. If he ended up back at Progpower, I would certainly not be caught dead watching his set. I know his whole on stage schick is being a massive asshole, but I don't enjoy that kind of shit in any sense of the spirit it's supposed to be received in. It's disrespectful and disgusting, IMO, and I don't choose to subject myself to such selfish arrogance. No one who pulls this crap is gods gift to music.

Ummmm. LOLwhut?

I think it's safe to say that you haven't seen Devy live in concert lately; otherwise you'd know that he just about the LEAST arrogant guy around. I'd describe his onstage schtick as more of a "massive goofball" than an asshole. If he's getting into his Ziltoid character during songs that could come off as arrogance, I suppose, but that's because he's portraying a role.

Hell, when he was walking into the venue here a few years ago some friends and I gave him a spontaneous "Devy!" chant and "we're-not-worthy" bows.... He looked at us almost in shock and said, "Oh, no, I'm just a schmuck. YOU are worthy." Yep, just ooooozing arrogance from every pore, there.

But, I don't think you care, since you seem to seriously hate the guy. WTFever.

I suppose I could be wrong. All I've ever seen and heard of DT was that while on stage, he harasses the audience and calls them names. Schtick. One doesn't have to look farther than the Progpower he attended where no one really knew the game of his on stage role. If people knew what was going on, I'm sure everyone would've thought it was hilarious. I simply do not like being heckled. If a comedian at a club did it to me I'd get up and walk out.

Also, you omitted the part where I said

I will say, from what I've heard, that DT is actually quite a great guy off the stage and while interacting, so I'll give him that.

I don't hate Devin Townsend any more than I hate Chris Farley. I simply do not enjoy the way they've honed their craft, and have no interest in interacting with them because of it.

I have some HD video I will be posting later today. I got some cool stuff backstage. Also, some terrific full songs of Creations End.

Let's get back to focusing on the great aspects of this tour.

The bantering is pointless.

Who else has more video footage or pictures?

It blows my mind that the same forum that regularly clamors for Devin Townsend to come back to play the fest is up in arms for someone making a general statement about people looking visibly bored at a concert. Could it have been more tactful? Maybe. Is it a big deal? No. Believe me -- not everyone who plays in a band is 'respectful'. The comments at the show weren't even malicious...how many times have you seen a headlining band tell the crowd to cheer again because the first time wasn't loud enough? Geeze. It's showmanship, nothing more.

And for what it's worth, I ACTUALLY STOOD IN THE BACK WITH MY ARMS CROSSED DURING THEIR SET!!!!! I AM A DOUCHEBAG!!!

Its not a matter of it being an act and people digging the fact that they're being called names and being ridiculed. It use to be a part of Devin Townsend's whole appeal. That's just what he did and you knew what to expect. Obviously his whole demeanor has changed within recent years and he isn't like that on stage anymore. He has a new outlook on life.

It IS a matter of knowing someone and actually have been in a band with this person and them having the reputation being respectful and humble, and then after he gains a little bit of attention and praise for his accrued talent over the past few years he ends up turning into a bit of an arrogant jerk that thinks he has the right to come into the ProgPower forums and ridicule people based on the fact that they gave his entire band a bit of constructive criticism. This guy use to understand and welcome those kinds of things....now he's just a bit too big for his own damn leather pants and pink hightops.

It saddens me that someone who use to be nice and respectful (that I call a friend) could let a little bit of local success get to his head and turn into a guy that just openly ridicules people that even cared to stay in the damn room while his band was playing.

I have some HD video I will be posting later today. I got some cool stuff backstage. Also, some terrific full songs of Creations End.

Sent you a PM a while back with pics. Don't know if you got those yet

You're 100% right. Moving on:

I'll upload over 100 pictures from the NYC show and a few great-quality videos shot by our good friend Mark Edwards. In fact, make sure that you all catch his lunch-time show at the Artmore in Atlanta! :)

393770-arms_crossed.jpg

Dio approves of this thread.

After thinking on what was said after the Shield played. If me as a paying customer, standing in the back with my arms crossed makes me a douchebag so be it. Every person has a different way of acting at a concert me is just to stand there and enjoy the music live instead of on a cd. On topic can't wait to see the High-def footage of Creations End and some pictures, again want to thank the promoters and bands for doing this.

Interacting with Chris Farley would be pretty difficult at this point. Him being dead and all.

Yah but Tommy Boy is still available to rent. :ill: :Spin:

Obviously his whole demeanor has changed within recent years and he isn't like that on stage anymore. He has a new outlook on life.

I did not know this. I would probably check him out if he was playing in this case.

Here is ARTIZAN performing 'RISE' from the 'Uniting the Powers of Metal' East Coast tour.

For those who were on the fence, and could have attended these shows, you really missed out on some exceptional performances. I hope to see you next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record, The Shield plays what we have fun playing. We dress how we want to dress. We have fun on stage, and thats why we do it. It's about lightening up, having fun, and not taking ANYTHING seriously. If I'm going to be ridiculed for being myself, and trying to help the crowd loosen up, that kind of pisses me off, as well as the rest of the band. I am a sleaze/glam rock singer singing for a power metal band. Actually, if you want to get technical, I'm a sleaze/glam rock guitarist singing for a power metal band. Take it for what it is. It's who I am, and I don't want to change that for anyone. If you can't respect that, well... Im sorry. I obviously love power metal, but metal is metal. Its all rock and roll.

And the friendship you see on stage between our members is genuine. We all live together and its fuckin awesome. We all go out and support other bands as a group. You'll find us rocking out up front at just about any show we're at.

I'm sorry if I may have offended any of you with my "douchebag" comment... But at least try to loosen up and have some fun next time you're at a show. That's the whole reason for going, is it not? I see more people standing in the back than up front for EVERY small(er) show I see. And for the ENTIRE show. Not just the openers. You're taking it a bit too seriously, and that's what The Shield is trying to break. We're a bunch of kids who don't plan on ever growing up. Thank you all for coming out and supporting the local scene every once in a while. That really does mean a lot to everyone. But if you try to loosen up a bit, I promise it'll be a much more fun experience and you'll want to go to more shows. But thats just my (and most everyone I know's) take on things.

Here is a clip from us waiting for the tour vehicle to pick us up. This was at the Washington Square hotel in New York the morning after we played Sullivan Hall in New York. You will see Tom (Artizan singer) and Jon (Artizan bassist) first, then, Creations End including Marco Sfogli and Mike Dimeo. More to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
One and a half songs from last weeks tour. As you can see, my lead guitarist, Steffen, is quite the showman...haha

Poor sound because the cameraman is parallel to the house speakers.

This was in Atlanta at The Local. Thanks to Glenn for showing up, and thanks to Hoyt for organizing and manning the door!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVO5-9mpQtQ&NR=1[/ame]

I saw this tour in Orlando, with Psyaxis, Widow, Creation's End, Artizan, and Seven Kingdoms. Sometimes at multi-act shows, you show up and gradually wait for the headliner, through a bunch of mediocre bands with a couple occasional decent songs. So, it's pretty awesome to see a co-headlining sort of tour like this where every band gets on stage and simply slays. I've seen Seven Kingdoms live a few times, and know Creation's End's music from listening to their album (and I'm looking forward to seeing them again at ProgPower), and both delivered killer sets. I wasn't too familiar with Artizan and had never even heard of Widow, but enjoyed both a lot, so I picked up an album from each, and would have gotten a Psyaxis album too, if they had one out yet, heh. So thanks to AngraRules, Hoyt, Claus, Camden, and the bands (and anyone I'm forgetting) who helped put this tour together!

I saw this tour in Orlando, with Psyaxis, Widow, Creation's End, Artizan, and Seven Kingdoms. Sometimes at multi-act shows, you show up and gradually wait for the headliner, through a bunch of mediocre bands with a couple occasional decent songs. So, it's pretty awesome to see a co-headlining sort of tour like this where every band gets on stage and simply slays. I've seen Seven Kingdoms live a few times, and know Creation's End's music from listening to their album (and I'm looking forward to seeing them again at ProgPower), and both delivered killer sets. I wasn't too familiar with Artizan and had never even heard of Widow, but enjoyed both a lot, so I picked up an album from each, and would have gotten a Psyaxis album too, if they had one out yet, heh. So thanks to AngraRules, Hoyt, Claus, Camden, and the bands (and anyone I'm forgetting) who helped put this tour together!

Thanks a million for your support! This tour was just the beginning, I assure you :kickass: